New York Times Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Times Project Manager Interview Questions

2.3

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

Initial phone screen is basic and brief. They don't go into much detail and won't ask you much. Interview process is robust. You meet with the hiring manager, hiring manager's manager, stakeholders, and in certain cases the team you will be working with. Expect at least two hours of back to back interviews and they may call you in for a second round.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Times

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR person at New York Times for a position of a Project Manager. The HR guy interviewing me paid very little attention to our conversation from the first second. It felt like he was busy doing something else while listening to me at the same time. We had quite a few pauses when he didn’t even realize that I've stopped answering his question. He could not elaborate too much on the position requirements and blabbered something from the script he had. There was more info online, that I got from him. That was a very disrespectful interview, but oh well. I guess that's people that New York Times hire. So I wouldn’t want to be a part of a team like this for sure. Don’t want to mention his name, but check out his Linkedin profile - he was a politician in the White House in the past. I wonder if he left his people skills there too.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions. He had no details about the position he was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in November 2007.

Interview

The interviewing is different from what the job entails, so its a huge disconnect for you as a candidate. No one in the company seems to have an idea of what's wrong with the company. It seems like they are all in a bubble, a modified reality, and somehow do not think the company is facing financial trouble. So when they talk to you, they still act like they are from outer space and expectations are set as if you will be part of a family, but when you start working there, you feel trapped. That is why several employees have left the company within a short span of time. BTW, I also think some departments within the company are racists when it comes to hiring non-white folks as when you walk in, the first thing you notice is that about 75% of workforce is white. Not to say the do not hire others (as that would be against the law), but they certainly prefer white people, esp. at managerial level.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The HR department within the company is probably the poorest performers and the main reason this company is going to fail one day. When I was given an offer I had told them I had a pre-planned vacation coming up, so they assured me that I would be able to take the vacation. When I joined, the HR department along with my new manager gave me a hard time about take vacation so quickly after joining. I even showed them my tickets. The salary negotiation and vacation negotiation is really dependent on how much guts YOU have - the company policy is, no policy. They dont adhere to it that much, so go ahead and ask away - you might just get it.

The interesting fact is, when I left the company (within a short amount of time), the HR lady who helped me get onboard, also helped me leave. Since she left the company shortly after getting me hired, she told me some of her experiences -
    - You can only succeed in this company if you know how to brown nose
    - If you disagree with someone sr. to you, they will make sure your life becomes miserable.