New York Times Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Times Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.6

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

First: I phone interview with some technical questions about why I use Spring, is a Java application faster than a NodeJS application, how Spring works, and explain new features of Java 8.
Second: an interview on site, they offered transportation and hotel. Three hours with different people every 30 minutes. Questions about my previous experiences, algorithmic problems and architectural design.

Interview Questions

• Q: return the sum of all values of the same level in a binary tree.
    Q: optimize the recursive function for the fibonacci serie.
    Q: merge two JSON objects.
    Q: how to update a server in production keeping the same sessions.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Times

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

The process starts with a number of phone screens. The next step in the process will be to bring you in for an on-site interview. If you get a positive review you will keep interviewing people higher and higher on the management chain. If you make it to the director level, you will likely be getting an offer. If for some reason your interview does not last as long as you were told it would, you will likely not be getting an interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was called by HR and told what the offer was. There was a bit of selling on their end to convince me to accept the job.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

I spoke with an in-house recruiter for an initial phone screen that was not terribly in-depth, then moved on to a tech phone screen with the hiring manager that lasted about half an hour and touched on more detailed tech questions (e.g. http protocol details). That lead to an in-person interview that lasted for about three hours in total. The in-person consisted of several 30-minute long sections talking with different staff members/managers, and touched on both detailed explanations of prior work as well as yet more detailed technical questions. Some live coding was done in a dedicated interview environment, which was a nice difference from the usual entirely whiteboard routine. Most of the questions were not what I would call the "useless brainteaser" variety, but more focused on actual technical details (the standard algorithms and datastructures sort of material that you'd expect, plus an emphasis on things like the inner workings of HTTP and so forth... probably nothing unusual for a web-focused position).

Interview Questions

• At the time (maybe they still use it), the NYT has their own in-house programming language. This isn't quite as crazy as it sounds, but it was being phased out. Anyway, part of the interview process was to read a snippet of it, having never seen this language before, and make some guesses as to what it was intended to do and what possible errors might arise. The language in question is broadly imperative and nothing particularly syntactically bizarre, so this isn't particularly hard so much as it is a bit out of left field.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation was fairly straightforward. They couldn't *quite* meet my request for base, but came within a few thousand of doing so and granted me a bit of extra vacation time in exchange.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2008.

Interview

Interview consisted of a Practical (Open Book) Test where I was allowed to browse the internet to find examples, documentation and or solutions to the presented problem. This is key to remember as what they are testing is primarily how you research /and/ solve a problem.Following the practical part, I interviewed with three other individuals going over specific technical areas with each - everything from building a singleton class in PHP to explaining a bunch of javascript code I had never seen before. The interview ended with a one on one with the director of the group I was interviewing for and seemed to be more about personality than technical skills.

Negotiation

Everything is /always/ negotiable - if they want you, make sure to negotiate your final contract. If you want more vacation time to start, ask for it. If you want more money, ask for it. Worst case is that they will say no - but if you don't ask you definitely won't get it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2008.

Interview

Code test on a computer is most special about the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Throught recruiter.