New York Times Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Times Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.3

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Referred by a friend. I had several phone interviews with different managers and groups. After that, I did a take home coding test that took about 4-6 hours. Was flown in for a series of about five short interviews on-site. I was offered a position a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Shown some example code, asked what it does. Asked about my working style, what types of ticket tracking systems I've used, if I knew Agile.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They called me with an acceptable offer a few days after my interview. It included a small signing bonus to cover moving expenses. I didn't negotiate because the offer was acceptable.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Times

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times in May 2015.

Interview

Applied via email to HR. I got contacted about a week later to schedule a phone interview with one of the managers. The person I was emailing back and forth with had terrible grammar. I mean it was laughable at how bad it was. And that is saying a lot because the NY Times is a newspaper company so you would think the people in HR who have to communicate a lot would speak decent English.

The phone interview didn't have any technical questions but the interviewer did ask if I have worked with certain languages/technologies. He honestly seemed very uninterested in the interview and it seemed like he didn't care about it. I waited for a response for about a week and got none so I decided to email HR and ask about my status. No response. So I wait another few days and send another email to HR. They reply telling me I didn't get the job. The interview process left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure if I would consider to work there again...

Interview Questions

• What experiences do you have with databases? Have you worked on mobile apps before? Have you lived in or visited NY before?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Initial contact was a cold email from the Times' HR Department. After a phone screen with the tech lead on the Mobile Web team, I was invited a couple days later to interview in NYC. I was in DC at the time, and never was reimbursed for the travel costs. The in-person interview was a series of 5 people - a tech lead, asking to refactor some code that was written in an in-house language, an interview with a software engineer, talking about technology and development in general, an interview with a fantastic dev that turned into him convincing me to come to the Times, an interview with the project lead, and an interview with the project director. I was given an offer Friday that week, and given until Monday to accept. I accepted on that Monday.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Times?   2 Answers

Negotiation

While negotiation was not offered, putting an aggressively high Expected Salary seemed to anchor the offer at higher than I would have gotten with a straight raise + cola.