New York Times Web Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Times Web Developer Interview Questions

2.5

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

The team members I spoke with seemed reasonable, if poorly coordinated, but the HR department was especially rude. I was disappointed with the lack of agreement on which technologies they planned to use. I was excited to work in an environment where Node might be leveraged heavily, but upon arrival I was told this was not likely; I'm not sure I'd have made the trip for a PHP gig.

After sitting though a grueling 4hr interview, where I was asked the same questions repeatedly and left sitting alone for up to 20min at a time, the HR department never contacted me again.

I've assumed they were uninterested, which not at issue, however, I attempted to contact them twice for information on my status with no reply.

I got the strong impression they don't understand how to hire technical people and/or don't realize fundamentals, like the fact that I will not be pointing colleagues at NYT due to their poor treatment of me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to edit very low quality JavaScript. I think I lost points for not catching "errors", but the interviewer hadn't given me any requirements, even when I prompted for them. I had no way of knowing what was expected from the spaghetti code :-\   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Times

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

Started with a call from a 3rd party recruiter, followed up with a brief technical phone interview, then was invited for an on-site interview. None of the technical interviews were particularly challenging, however the routing process was fairly poor. I ended up interviewing for a team I didn't apply for and didn't really seem all that interesting for someone with my background.

The people were all pleasant however.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions involved debugging code and factoid type questions about programming languages.   Answer Question