New York & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 22, 2018

2.0

Assistant Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York & Company (Nashville, TN) in October 2015.

Interview

It's pretty simple. It's more of a conversation interview. They want to feel you out and ask about your previous customer service and what it means to you. Don't stress about it but be professional and be truthful about your availability.

Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York & Company (Tuscaloosa, AL) in October 2014.

Interview

Easy Laid Back. I went in after work and had my interview with the District Manager. It last about 30 minutes. We talked about my time at another store that closed and talked about the companies future. I was lead to believe that this store was economically sound especially be the Manager meeting a year before was the Versace Mansion in Florida and the company pays for unnecessary things during these manager trips. I started in Nov. and was told my store was closing Dec. 31 and the last day of busy was Jan. 31. I was excited about this company and loved the people I worked with.

Interview Questions

• What do I do currently as an Assistant Manager?
      What is the most important thing to me in Retail?
      What was my degree in?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York & Company.

Interview

Initial interview is usually with a tenured store manager or assistant manager. Second interview will be with the district manager or her right hand woman. Then with your store manager.

Interview Questions

• Pretty normal interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

-Quick process.
    -One interview with DM and job was offered.
    -Overall, process lasted about a month.
    -District Manager very chatty. Talked for majority of interview. It lasted 1 hour and 30 mins.
    -Didn't meet my Store Manager till my first actual day. (Very weird. I should have seen that as a clue to decline since the Manager wasn't invested in my professional growth in the store.)

Interview Questions

• "What can you bring to make the store more profitable?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated a dollar than my previous job. A week later, I accepted.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York & Company.

Interview

Interviewing process is a joke, DM only discusses negative things about the company and how store runs. Only asks you negative questions and if you refuse to answer negatively they keep asking the same questions 5 different ways. I had 3 managers interview me and only one was able to convince me that, that location was heading in a new direction and that she was grateful to have someone with a positive outlook on the store.

Interview Questions

• "So.. why are you quitting your job?"

The worst part was the really long, awkward silence and rude staring between each question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York & Company (Freehold, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

quick short brief interview with store manager, which was great we totally had the same way of managing which would have worked.
     than went 1 hr from the location i interviewed for with the store manager to have an interview with the District Manager, which was great but once she told me the amount of hours i would HAVE to work for a low salary, it was not worth the offer. Plus no wonder they can never keep employees, they pay is horrible and there are never enough hours for the associates. Plus they Push for Credit Cards wayyyyy to hard!

Interview Questions

• What questions would you ask a Sales Associate to determine if they would be the right person for your store?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York & Company (Aurora, CO) in January 2016.

Interview

2 store interviews, one phone interview, interview with territory management. I submitted my resume online, came in twice to interview with the store manager, the last assistant store manager walked. 2 interviews later I sat down with the district manager and 2 days later was offered the position. My 1st day of on boarding the store manager had quite 3 days prior.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York & Company.

Interview

Me and the Store Manager met at the store, she explained why she needed an assistant manager, what the job consisted on and how the interview process was going to be like. First an interview with the store manager, then with the district manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York & Company (Akron, OH) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the store manager a few hours later. Set up a face to face interview for the next day. Arrived at the store and she had me fill out a paper application before starting the interview. The questions were basic interview questions. She said she had a few more interviews and she would be in contact with me in the next few days. Never heard back from her. To me that's poor business.

Assistant Merchant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at New York & Company (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Met with HR-- Very nice person. I thought the interview went great. After much follow-up on my part (ie..e-mail, letter, hand written thank you note, multiple phone calls) several months later, the job is still posted & I have not heard yay or nay.

Interview Questions

• I didn't think any of the interview questions were difficult.   Answer Question