New York & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017

2.0

Assist Merchant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied in LinkedIn, ,contacted me for phone interview, Spoke with HR, another interview with Buyer , came in to take excel retail test, another interview with associate merchant and lastly interview with Merchandising manager then hired

Anonymous Employee in Saint Augustine, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York & Company (Saint Augustine, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

I was immediately put off by the state of the back office where I was interviewed. There were old coffee cups around, the floor was gross, and it overall looked unorganized. The manager was very nice and offered me the job on the spot. I did ask if there was any room for growth in management and I was told that it might be possible if there was a position to open up. I wish she would have told me at that time that she was leaving and several employees were as well. It did leave room for growth, but my qualifications could have allowed me to be hired at a higher starting position.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable promoting and encouraging the New York & Company credit card?   1 Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York & Company (Exton, PA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was quite standard and easy. First, the interviewer asked me to tell me about myself. She, then, informed me about the company and responsibilities about the position. Answering the questions truthfully and with great morale. Be yourself.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York & Company (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I came across a huge billboard ad for hiring and applied the same day. I got a email for an interview a week later. It was a group interview so everyone got a chance to speak. It was very friendly, conversational and comfortable. Then if you were considered for the position you were called for a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you prepare for this interview?   1 Answer
    • Who is a working woman and how would they dress?   1 Answer

Assistant Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

Interview

I applied for this position online and received a response right away, in fact, the same day. First, I was told that I would be doing a phone interview. Then it turned into an in-person interview with Talent Acquisition and the Hiring Manager/Lead Stylist. No big deal. When I get to the interview, it turns out the Lead Stylist was out of the office. That threw me off a little bit... but I still went ahead with the interview. The interview itself was very awkward, perhaps because I don't think Talent Acquisition had as good of an understanding of the role like a stylist would. After the interview, I was advised that I would be sent information on the next steps... however, I never heard back from the Hiring Manager or the Lead Stylist, despite following up with both of them about a week later.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a client that doesn't like the outfit that you've picked for them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York & Company (Daytona Beach, FL).

Interview

Offered interview due to familiarity with store manager as a frequent customer. Interview was conducted as a group with store manager and 2 other candidates. Entire process seemed very conversational and laid back. Important to dress professionally. Dress code for job is discussed during interview. Retail/other job experience is good, but not necessary. Hired without previous job experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a fellow employee stealing merchandise?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Douglasville, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York & Company (Douglasville, GA).

Interview

Well from beginning to end. First I went in the store to see if they were hiring and the sweet cashier gave me a application. I was surprised they still did paper apps but I kinda like paper apps because they get to see who applying. Anywho, surprisingly the store manager was at the door and I hand her my app. She went over it as soon as I gave it to her and ask me a few same ol same ol retail questions and then ask me to look for an outfit for someone for an interview. So for me I know you have to talk with the customer and learn their likes and dislikes so I did and I found something cute and simple. Needless to say I got hired on the spot. YAYYYY! I was ask when can I come in to start paperwork and I told her I would come back that day. Well I did all I needed to do and it took about 2 hours still no pay talked about so I waiting because she was so happy about how much experience I had in retail. If I did not mention I have been in retail for over 10 years and Management for 6. So ok. That is why she was excited. I finish my videos and paperwork and she was like ok I see you soon to finish up and before I left I ask so how much you say the pay would be?? ....... $7.60 Well for me I dont turn down many jobs but I knew that wasnt for me. I haven't made that since I was 17 and Im 28 now with so much experience.

Interview Questions

• Can you find an outfit for someone going to a job interview?   Answer Question

Production Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York & Company.

Interview

Upon arrival no one seemed to know I was scheduled. Was to meet with several people. 2 of 3 canceled due to a meeting. Was never rescheduled.
    A complete waste of my time and expenses.

Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York & Company (Brandon, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

Easy going and kind of fun. Mostly looked into how well you will work with the customers and how you would react in different situations. We were asked to sell the interviewer air/sell a whale water. Finally, at the end of the interview, we were asked to go and choose a full outfit (including accessories) to show that we could create an outfit for a customer as well as to show our interviewer our personal style. Over all, it was a very laid back and personable interview.

Interview Questions

• If you are having trouble with a customer, how would you react/deal with him/her?   1 Answer
    • Sell water to a whale... /Sell me air...   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York & Company (East Brunswick, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied onlinevia Indeed. I got a call 2-3 days later. During the interview, I was asked basic questions about why I wanted to enter retail, my work ethic, and how I define "dishonesty."

Interview Questions

• How do you define "dishonestly?"   1 Answer