Newfront Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Newfront Insurance Interview Questions

Interviews at Newfront Insurance

2.6

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance (San Francisco, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. I had an initial call with the VP of Engineering. This involved getting to learn about Newfront as well as the position I was applying for.

The second call was a technical interview with one of the Software Engineers at the company. This consisted mostly of a coding problem and maybe one or two behavioral questions. Afterwards it was opened up for me to answer any questions I wished about the engineering at Newfront.

The last step was to come on-site. Up until this point, the interview process had been pretty standard from what I'd seen at other companies. Newfront is different, however, in that you participate in a project-based interview.
    This involves sitting down in front of a computer and given a feature to implement on the Newfront website. I preferred this as it really played to my strengths.

When I first arrived, I was taken into a conference room with two of the engineers where I was given a slide -deck overview of Newfront and the product they are creating. This was cool as it eased me into the day. Afterwards, you're given a full stack problem that involved implementing features on both the front and back end.
    The time frame for this was approximately 6 hours or so (along with an hour for lunch.)

Afterwards, you spend an hour in a conference room with the CTO and a few engineers and talk through the project. This is perhaps the most nerve wracking aspect of the interview as you are asked questions about scaling, further optimization, and pros/cons of your solution. I think at this point they're trying to understand how much you know and how much you don't. Understandable and expected. The tail end of this was a 1:1 with the CTO where you got to overview the day and ask any remaining questions.

I really enjoyed this interview. It felt meaningful. You got to work on a real-world project and talk through the pros/cons of it with the engineers you'd been chatting/working with during the day.

Lunch was great as well. It gave me a chance to get to know a number of the people I might potentially be working with in the future. Same with them getting to know me.

Overall, the interview process was great. It was very long, going from 9:15am til close to 6pm. Very much a full day of "being on". But, in the end I preferred it over the more traditional style interviews I had encountered at other companies. I got to sit in the office for a full day, meet the people I might be working with, and just in general get a feel for the environment of the office I could potentially be sitting in for the foreseeable future. You don't get that at other places.

Data Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance (San Francisco, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

Had a great interview process that involved numerous execs at Newfront, incl. the CEO. The process involved 2 phone screens, a panel interview via Zoom, a take-home project, and an on-site. The interviewers were fun to talk to and asked insightful questions.

Interview Questions

• What are some ways you've implemented processes in your past experiences? What were the results?   Answer Question

Strategic Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

I had two great phone screens, with the Spike (CEO) and Nitin (Business Operations). I asked them both how they are differentiated from other tech enabled insurance players. Through this, it is clear the passion and drive both if them have for the business, the space and their team. In house I met with Jake (Account Management), Raph (Strategic Growth/Recruiting) and Anna (CIO). The team also allowed me to join an all hands. The entire team was so welcoming and energetic, from Shazia (Office Manager) to Gordon (CTO), whom I interviewed with after the all hands.

Interview Questions

• Why am I interested in insurance?   1 Answer

Strategic Growth Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance (San Francisco, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

Phone screen, then one on one, then onsite with more team members. The onsite is where it really falls apart. People didn't know they were supposed to meet so there were 10 minute gaps where you're just sitting in an office alone.
    They sent call scripts, recorded demos, and decks over before the onsite and then they do role playing exercises to see if you have memorized everything.
    Also you are not selling a product, you are selling people on bringing over their book of business. Transaction sales style.
    Good job to consider if you've thought of being a used car salesman.

Interview Questions

Newfront Insurance Response

Jul 16, 2019 – Recruiter

Thank you for this response and feedback. We’re sorry that the interview process wasn’t exciting to you. We find that the pitch part of our interview structure is a great way to give experienced... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance.

Interview

Had a great interview process with Newfront. The recruiter was super helpful, communicative and flexible with everything. There was an initial recruiter phone screen, followed by an hour long technical phone screen, a values interview, a take home and then the onsite. I only made it till the take home

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance.

Interview

Typical phone call with recruiter and technical phone screen. Recruiters are organized and great to work with. Onsite is a full day exercise of building a web feature followed by a demo. They pair you with couple of SWEs to collaborate. The SWE I was paired with wore headphones all afternoon and the other SWE supposedly paired with me only came by to check in with me once. You'll be mostly ignored. During demo, Engineering Manager did not allow me to actually demo the feature I spent 6 hours working on. Proceeded to only ask questions on the last subproblem that I had about 20 minutes for. They rejected me because I didn't work well enough with the team, which isn't even useful feedback because they do not collaborate with you.

Interview Questions

Newfront Insurance Response

Nov 5, 2019 – Co-founder and CTO

Thank you for the feedback. We launched in 2017 and unfortunately sometimes drop the ball
    as we're changing and growing quickly. That being said, it's no excuse for missing the mark and I apologize... More

Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

Phone call with hiring manager on fit. Then 5 x 30 minute in person interviews. Positive: Structured approach to questions with each person going for different angles. Negative: Interviews were very rushed. Not enough time for questions back.

Interview Questions

• Describe an industry you know well and what you would do to improve it.   Answer Question

Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Absolutely fantastic. I interviewed with 10-15 top-tier startups (mostly between seed and Series C), and Newfront was by far the best interview process.

People are very sharp, they care a ton about culture, and they spend a lot of time in the interview teaching you how the business works in depth. I was beyond impressed. Got to check out an all-hands afterwards and it was definitely a special culture.

Tactically, process consisted of a phone call first followed by an analytical project (short; <2 hrs); followed by an on-site that consisted of 5 one-to-one interviews. Three were other ops people, one in product, and one in claims. Good mix of analytical interviewing, behavior/cultural interview, and then answering questions.

Interview Questions

• Went through a claims workflow and brainstormed how to improve customer experience in an efficient way.   Answer Question

Business Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

The interview process was smooth - began with a phone screen with the head of business operations and COO where I was asked to speak about my experiences using data to drive decision making and business change. Next, I completed a take-home data analytics case study. The company was sensitive to my timeline and was able to accommodate a tight turnaround time for an onsite as I had a competing offer - appreciate the flexibility on this front! The onsite interview consisted of 6 rounds, each involved engaging with a stakeholder within the organization with whom the position would collaborate closely with. One of these interviews involved reviewing the case study that I had worked on, questioning assumptions in the analytics model I had built, and brainstorming potential improvements and implementation workflows. The interviews were well run, engaging, and gave a good sense of the day-to-day on the job.

Interview Questions

• Diving deep into the assumptions and data integrity issues encountered in the data analytics case study.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Newfront Insurance.

Interview

We met through a recruiter who said they're expanding in Sacramento. Had short call with the recruiting firm and then their recruiting team. This place is pretty exciting---some very bright minds from Silicon Valley and insurance talent too. The office is buzzing. Would've liked to see more of the tech platform.