Newsday Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Newsday Interview Questions

2.8

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Newsday (Melville, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I met with a the Human Resource manager, and three department managers. Everyone was extremely nice and polite. They were all very understanding and thoughtful. Each interviewer answer any specific questions I had about the jobs, and the company.

Collator Interview

Interview

quick and easy and relaxed they took pride in answering all my questions and gave full detail of the position they also showed me around the department and i was hands on

Journalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Newsday.

Interview

After submitting clips online and calling for info, I was contacted and flown in for a tryout that lasted for three days. There was no taking me out to meals or anything, no socializing, just writing and working. But all my pieces ended up in the paper and I was hired.

Interview Questions

• The biggest thing was actually writing for the next days' papers during my tryout.   1 Answer

Negotiation

very little

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Newsday (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

I met with a guy who spoke way too fast and hired only woman. He didnt care about the people he was hiring unless they were woman. He was all over the place and didnt really listen to me speak. He did most of the speaking.

Negotiation

Web Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Newsday (Melville, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with intern coordinator and online editor over the phone b/c of distance. They were persistent in getting me to commit and were very flexible with my needs because of hours and other jobs

Freelance Writer/Reporter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Newsday (Melville, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Mainly done via email. Submit clips, pitch story idea to specified editor and editor will usually respond via email. Fairly informal for freelance stories.

Internet News Manager (Web Producer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Newsday (Melville, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

A veritable gauntlet of interviewers, each with less exuberance than the next. At some point, one of the staff who spoke to me walked out saying "Good luck to you...", his voice drifting, hammering home the fact I was not going to land the position. The initial interviewer was both disgusting in appearance and attitude. Plenty of friends who've worked at this mill - make it a stepping stone if you must. Newsday is best purposed for lining bird cages and cushioning subway seats.

Editorial Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Newsday (Melville, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

A portfolio was needed and the interview process was a calm environment and I was given exact detail about the position being offered. I met with a Human Resource woman first, than with the manager. It was made clear about deadlines that are required week to week and that it was a fast paced environment.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Newsday (Melville, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

It was slightly intense, so expect some attitude (the place has an inflated sense of importance, based on how great and prestigious the newspaper used to be back in the golden age of journalism). However, don't worry about any landmines, because the process is pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Just your basic questions (describe a difficult assignment, how did you deal with difficult people, etc.).   Answer Question

Internet News Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Newsday (Melville, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Initial interview was over the phone with the Deputy Online Editor. The next step is to come in to meet with editors. I met with four editors and eventually the top Editor, but I've also heard others having to meet up to 7 editors in one day. I've also heard that sometimes the top editor is unavailable to meet you at the last minute, because of a breaking news situation, and you may have to come in for another day.

Interview Questions

• I think that they worry a lot about their employee retention rate, so they asked me about commuting from NYC. If you're okay with the commute, just let them know that. But as an Internet News Manager, they want to know what kind of work you did as a web producer. Headline writing, copy editing and being able to juggle breaking news is a very important part of the job.   Answer Question