Next Retail Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 21, 2017

2.1

73 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Next Retail (Bristol, England (UK)).

Interview

First of were a few simple tests online to see if you're a match for the store. If you pass these tests you'll receive a phone call for a quick interview, but it was more like an informal chat.

I was then invited to a 'team assessment', where you are taken onto the shop floor and told to talk to literally every customer you see whilst being supervised by a manager. My team consisted of 4, but we were taken onto different sections of the store so were doing the tasks alone. I am used to interacting with customers due to previous interviews with similar tasks, so was surprised when my manager said that I had hardly spoken to anyone when I approached everyone in the store.

I was then taken out to be told I was unsuccessful due to not approaching enough people, despite the store being extremely quiet. I was given a £10 note and £10 next gift card.

The overall manager was lovely but the manager that was meant to be supervising me did not pay attention to me, therefore gave the overall manager the wrong information. I understand that she may have been busy being approached by other customers and watching over the other candidate, but she did not supervise me at all like she was supposed to.

If you don't like being thrown into the deep end in an interview, then do not apply for next and waste your time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Next Retail

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bournemouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Next Retail (Bournemouth, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

The whole process took two days. After completely a typical online application (simple maths, English, situational judgement and personality test - no CV necessary), I received a phone call a few minuets later asking if I was happy to participate in a phone interview. It was very straightforward, the manager was very friendly and it only lasted 6 minutes. She asked me to come in the next day to take part in an Assessment Centre. There were no fornal interview question's there because that much was covered in the phone call. When I arrived, there were two other girls and, after watching a brief induction video, they sent us to the shop floor with different members of staff (who were assessing us) to see how confident we were with interacting with customers. The staff were all really friendly and put me at ease. It was a tad daunting, but they're not expecting you to know anything, just to smile, greet customers as you pass them and look approachable. This only lasted 20-30 minutes and then we went back to the mangers to receive feedback. Needless to say, we all got offers there and then.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What can you offer? Greatest achievement? Describe a time you received great customer service?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Next Retail (Birmingham, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

The online test was very easy, it was just a verbal and numeracy test. It was not timed and a lot of the answers were common sense. The online application process did not require me to attach a CV nor cover letter, therefore this stage of the application process is just based upon your verbal/numerical answers (which is surprising because they were very easy).
    I was not emailed that my application was shortlisted and I would be invited for a telephone interview, I just got a phone call midday asking if I am available for an interview right this moment. The questions were fairly easy, the interview was casual and not non vigorous, this suited the role I was applying for, it was just a temporary sales assistant role for the sales period. I was offered the job straight after I finished the interview.

Interview Questions

• Am I available for the required hours, will I be able to commute safely (because they were early morning and late shifts)?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if there was a big queue of customers and only limited tills and they were getting angry?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hove, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Next Retail (Hove, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online, then received a telephone interview. It lasted about 5 minutes and I was asked basic questions. I was rung the next day to be invited to an assessment a few days later. The assessment was on the shop floor, working in the fitting room.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Next Retail.

Interview

Just a phone interview asking previous experience, why you want to work for Next and availability. There was an online application in which you had to complete a simple multiple choice maths test. From what I remember it was simple addition and you were allowed to use a calculator

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Next Retail.

Interview

It started with the online application and test with numeracy and questionaire,you then get told to wait to see if you've been shortlisted,the next day I received the email saying congratulations that I've been shortlisted and I would receive a phone call from a member of staff which I received roughly a week later.The lady called me and asked when I would be available for a telephone interview and we arranged for the next day.The telephone interview was very relaxed just had a chat for 10/15 min and the lady was very nice and made me feel comfortable so I felt at ease.She told me that she would like for me to come into one of the nearby stores for an assessment which was arranged gives couple of days later.I went along to the store and was put onto the shop floor and just tidy up and approach customers which was fine after 30 mins I was taken upstairs and told I was what next is looking for and offered me the position.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Next Retail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online to many positions in different stores. I was successful at two stores however only one wanted to have an interview with me.
    I received a text with the number I need to call and how I need to talk to.
    At my first attempt the supervisor was incredibly busy so she promised she call me back but it never happened. So I phoned next day and I could talk to another lady. The interview was a friendly chat and it took about 15minutes. After that she invited me for an assessment day.
    There two other girls were waiting, luckily we were running for different positions therefore we had a friendly atmosphere. I was put on the men's shop floor. It was a bit shocking as I don't use to visit this department very often. I had to go and chat to every, I mean EVERY customer I could find, it was a busy Saturday so the shop was full. I asked do they need any help, have they found everything they were looking for. Sometime I went and checked with the manager how is my performance. When a customer needed help I called for a colleague. They showed me how to find items that maybe available in stock. When there was any in the stock room, don't go there you are not authorised and you need to be on the shop floor so your supervisor can see you.
    They were very pleased and now I will to an induction as I got the position.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Next Retail (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

They just asked me availability, flexibility etc. Question you on experience and awareness of the company. She was friendly and funny, full of advice. You are also asked to go on shop floor and help customers out. They want to see how you approach customers and help them out. Be attentive, smile and aware of ALL customers.

Interview Questions

• If you were on tills checking our customer and another customer asks you to check something, what do you do.   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Next Retail (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Fairly easy and straight forward, online test followed by a telephone interview and a face to face interview. The interview was very relaxed but did last for around 40 minutes then followed by a trial shift.

Interview Questions

• Asked general questions such as what relevant experience do you have and what made you choose Next etc.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Next Retail.

Interview

The interview consists of two parts. The first is just general sales questions and the second is being observed on the shop floor for around ten minutes. Relatively simple & easy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A