Nielsen Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nielsen Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Got call from recruiter and interview was scheduled after couple of days. After the first interview, case study and maths questions was tough. you need to prepare all cat level questions so prepare it from very good book then it had case as normal one.

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter, then came in on-site for a test with several other applicants. I later had a panel interview with three separate people that took an afternoon. I followed up but they never got back to me after I spent a lot of time with them. Really soured me on the company and how they treat people.

Interview Questions

• What might be some challenges to overcome in bringing a US sports team to China?   Answer Question

Nielsen Response

May 13, 2016 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Hello- Thank you for your interest in Nielsen and for participating in our selection process. I very sincerely apologize that no one got back to you. I'm not sure what happened in this instance ... More

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2011.

Interview

The Nielsen Company has an extremely competitive and demanding interview process. In my experience it had four components:
    1) Preliminary Phone Screen
    2) Math Skills/ Business Acumen Written Exam
    3) 3 1:1 Interviews
    4) 3 more 1:1 Interviews

Preliminary Phone Screen - in this segment, I was introduced to my recruiter. She was extremely nice and helpful throughout the process. The screen consisted of general questions regarding my education, my background, some brief leadership questions, and my knowledge of the company. It was relatively easy.

Written Exam - This exam was EXTREMELY hard. I took it on site, was given a calculator and scrap paper and roughly 2 hours. The questions are similar to GMAT questions but each question consists of at least 3 or 4 parts. They are difficult but if you don't panic and try to reason through the questions you can solve them. Make sure you are strong with WEIGHTED AVERAGES questions, as well as basic algebra, and MGMT ACCOUNTING questions involving Break Even Points, Fixed Costs and Variable Costs etc. But especially weighted averages. The second part of the exam are written case study questions. You need a fundamental understanding of how to approach case studies to excel here. I strongly recommend Cosentino's Case In Point book to acquire the skills necessary for case studies.

1:1 Interviews - The interviews were all extremely pleasant, and I could tell that I would enjoy working with my colleagues. The questions were behavioral ("leadership", "time you failed", "time you disagreed with a colleague," etc.). I also had a case study on each interview so roughly 6 case studies. They were mainly New Product Development cases, Industry Analysis Cases, Growth Strategy Cases, some Market sizing and some simple Random Questions ("How many quarters will it take to get to the top of the empire state building?") The case studies were interesting and fun to discuss.

After my second round of interviews I received a phone call and a verbal offer. I was ecstatic! This is a great company to work for!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you failed, and what did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • Your company wants to increase the price of the product, but wants to maintain market share. What would you recommend?   1 Answer

Negotiation

the offer was fair considering my education and my background and I accepted immediately. Was roughly middle of the range for my position.

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Interview process was very thorough and professional. Approximately 2 months from beginning to end. Phone screening with recruiter, online assessment, one hour phone interview with team member, then on-site with 3 other team members. Recruiter was very professional, and in general everyone I came in contact with was genuine, intelligent, and had a balance of making me feel at ease while asking good pointed questions. If you do your homework and are enthusiastic about the career path then you will, at the very least, be in the running.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Nielsen?
      Why do you think you are a good fit for the position?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

Started with a phone screen; Next came the in-office interview, in which I spent about 45 minutes with three different interviewers. Phone screen was pretty basic and what you'd expect; Lots of behavior-based interview questions in the in-office interview, and also some hypothetical situations that test your analytical thinking skills

Interview Questions

• Your client wants to launch this new product (given an example about a product to read). What type of information would you want to know to tell them if this was a good or bad idea?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews, 1 online test and one in person interview.

The first interview was a little hard. they asked Q)"how many miles are run on a treadmill on saturday in a month of may in USA" they are looking to see how your thinking process work, so don't worry about the number. I also was asked to walk through my resume. Q) Behavioural questions such as tell me about a time you didn't meet client's expectation and how was relationship with them afterward?

Online assessment test was fairly easy, it had few math questions and the rest were personality based questions

Second (45 minute) interview was more of conversational and was pleasant. Just asked if i have analytical experience and how well I know excel. Q) What kind of functions you know in Excel? do you know pivot table or vlookup?

Third interview was with 3 different people for 45 min each. (I got a call 2 days after, they didn't tell me the reason why I didn't get the job)

Interview Questions

• Q) How many miles are run on a treadmill on saturday in a month of may in USA? Q) Behavioural questions such as tell me about a time you didn't meet client's expectation and how was relationship with them afterward? Q) What kind of functions you know in Excel? do you know pivot table or vlookup? Q) How do you prioritize projects if they were all due in the same week?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Wilton, CT) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process can get a little intense. I started with a basic HR phone screen. The next round was to complete an online test. It lasted 1.5 hours and contained a mix of psychology questions (e.g. "You like to work in groups." Agree/Disagree) and logic/word problems/brain teasers. It was intense because each question was timed. Sometimes you need a little more time for some questions, other times you have time left over. Either way, you have to be on top of your game to answer it. I would say difficulty was average, but the timing factor makes it exhausting and hard.

After the assessment, I had a case study type interview with a VP over Skype. It was very straightforward and involved interpreting regression output. You should study basic regressions. I was asked what each coefficient means, how to tell it's significant, what the R squared means. Following the data interpretation, I was asked how would you advise the client to budget? It was long, but doable. No trick questions and the VP helped me out when I was visibly stuck..

Following the case interview, I had three behavioral interviews via Skype with VPs and Managers. They were very relaxed and informal. Typical behavioral interview, with some light + easy brain teasers thrown in.

Huge huge huge pro for Nielsen is the HR organization. I have interviewed at many companies and I Have NEVER seen such good organization as Nielsen's HR. They have very quick turnaround times, are very professional, reliable, and friendly. I hope more companies can have as great an HR department as Nielsen. It made the interview process way more bearable.

Interview Questions

• What is a regression?
      Tell me about a time there was conflict in your team?
      Why Nielsen?
      What sets you apart?
      Brain teaser: you have 8 balls and a balance scale. One ball is heavier than the rest (rest are all equal weight). You have 2 tries to weigh the balls and see which ball is heavier. How would you do it?
      1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nielsen (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through referral. The process took 1 day and it was all on my technical skills and my willingness to work for nielsen. It was all together a good process and i cleared the interview process. This company has lot to offer to the freshers. Best comapny to work for.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Nielsen (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

The process starts with the HR person calling u and fixing a date and time for the aptitude test.. Entire process has 3 stages..
    1st is aptitude which is difficult. It is split into three parts with a case study included .. If u clear u are called for HR interview and then technical interview..

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen in March 2012.

Interview

It was a pretty straightforward process. First round is completed online. Second round is done on the phone. The third (final) round is in person. You have both 1 on 1 interviews and panels. None of the questions or situations were different than you would expect for an interview at a large corporation.