Nielsen Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nielsen Business Analyst Interview Questions

3.2

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nielsen (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter. Once referred to recruiter they were quick to schedule a phone interview and discuss the position. Within one week responded with status. The process was well communicated.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the company. Knowledge of different systems.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen (Bentonville, AR) in December 2014.

Interview

Long interview process, phone screen followed by 2 on site interviews, 1 hr then 3 hrs respectively. Had to present business case in front of a panel of 8 people on second round. Overall prepared for this interview process by researching glassdoor and felt very prepared.

Interview Questions

• How many sewer covers are there in Manhattan   1 Answer

Negotiation

Able to negotiate $1700 sign on bonus

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Had an interview on campus. Ask many situational questions and also have an online assessment. The interview is done with two people but most questions are asked by a hiring manager.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2012.

Interview

I went through the university recruiting process. From the initial resume drop, there was a cut-off and around half the students were invited back to take a quantitative test with a short written case. From here, a few more students were invited for on-campus interviews which were one-on-one behavioral interviews with a manager, a few very brief estimation/case-type questions, but mostly fit questions. The final round was held at the local office with 3 managers, almost exclusively case questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were asked to market a product that was sugar-added milk to children?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Ithaca, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Took a test that went over math, a case study and general writing abilities. Be sure to study.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in July 2011.

Interview

Initial phone screen:

Tell me about yourself?

Why do you want to work for Nielsen?

What do you think we do here?

Tell me a time when you took the initiative to make an impact and what are the results and how you measure these results?

If a company comes to you for advice on launching a product, what information do you need to know to make that recommendation?

Walk me through your resume (highlight any analytics experience, client service experience, presentation and communication experience)

They don’t like when people talk about using this as a stepping stone, so don't talk about all your big future plans (but if you read about the company at all you'll know that over half of the ppl will leave here in a few yrs)

NOTE: There are multiple departments here…

1. TMG – the young hip group that brings in the most $$ working with marketing mix modeling

2. BASES – demand forecasting

3. continuous analytics – the group that handles everything else

You pass that you'll get a call to schedule a quant test w/in the week

Quant Test:

the easy ones:

1) You take a test, and 60% pass the first time and 40% fail.
    The second time around, 80% pass the test and 20% fail.
    The third time, 90% pass and 10% fail.

a. What is the probability that you pass the 1st OR the 2nd time?
    b. What is the probability that you pass on the 3rd time?
    c. What is the probability you fail?

2) The results of surveying 100 residents of a city reported that 40 read the daily morning paper, 70 read the daily evening paper & 20 read neither. How many:
    1. Read at least 1 paper?
    2. Read both?
    3. Read exactly one daily paper?

The medium difficulty ones:

3) A company sells Choco cookies for $15 each and can sell 3,000 per year; $5 of the product price is profit. The company is considering buying a new piece of equipment that will cost $100,000. The new machine will produce Choco Nut that cost $10 to make, can be sold for $15. And can sell 5,000 units of per year. How many years, based on the profit of ChocoNut, will it take the company to completely pay for the machine with it]s profit.

4) given price of the pretzels and then said that people would like 50% more salt, which would cost x amount. Given how much pretzels were sold in the past, you have to calculate how many additional pretzels need to be sold to cover the cost of adding the extra expense of adding salt.

5) A new company will release 3 new products (A, B, C). 20% of buyers will buy A, 55% will buy B and 25% will buy C. People that buy A will buy 1.5 units, B 2.5 and C .75. What percent of total sales will be product B?

6) out of a random sample of 500 , 75 like oranges. How much more sample should be taken in order to reach the no 100 who like oranges

7) list of ounces of each product, their selling price, % sales volume for the first season for each product, % sales volume for the rest of the year for each product, what’s avg ounce sold for that year

8) X% of the ppl own house, X% ppl who own house have carpet. X% of the ppl buys foaming carpet cleaner own house, how many ppl own house & buy carpet (can’t remember this one very well)

The Next Section is Case study with 3 questions:

I. Product Launch:

A survey of 300 magazine readers was taken because a client has given its advertisement on that magazine. The a matrix has been given with numbers of people who read the magazine, number of ppl who do not, people who buy the soap after reading the magazine and how many ppl buy soap w/o reading the magazine.

1) Was the advertisement effective?
    2) Recommendation to client
    3) What more questions could have asked to respondents

II. Hypothesis Report:

A report has to been to president as you would like to convince him to launch a new product UNISOAP that cleans literally EVERYTHING: clothes, hair, body, the toilet…who knows what else. The features will be given and you have to show strengths and weakness of the product.

NOTE: TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!! Two full pages of writing takes longer than one would expect

If you pass that, you'll get a call back w/in the week for an on-site interview.

On site interview questions:

What is sales a function of? List of explanatory variables.

Regression basics: what’s a r square etc.

Time when you failed to deliver

Time when you were criticized

Time when you couldn’t meet a given deadline

Time when you really made a difference on project

If there s a stack of quarter as tall as the empire state building, will they all fit on this table assuming weight is not an issue (can't fail this one, he will walk you through it UNTIL you get it right)

Interview Questions

• couldn't fit all the questions in the last part... numbers of planes take off in jfk/day, number of ppr towels sold in the US/yr   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (San Francisco, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Consisted of an online application, personality test, analytical test. The 90 min analytical test consisting mostly of BE analysis and probability questions. Time is an issue if you dont know these things backwards and forwards. I had the same two long answer questions described on the tread. I only give a negative because it felt like a waste of time. I saw several people in the office taking the same test so it makes me wonder how many people were being evaluated for the position. I left two questions blank due to time constraints.

Interview Questions

• 3 products(A,B,C) with different % sales , (40,60,20) different average purchase amounts (1.2, 1.4, 1.6) What % B of toal sales?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Istanbul (Turkey)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Nielsen (Istanbul (Turkey)).

Interview

Personality test: No need to be prepared.
    Analytical test: It does not require a math knowledge like GMAT. They are basically logic questions.
    Group case study: They give each of you a case with charts. They ask you to analyze the charts and come up with some recommendations for the company.

Interview Questions

• Analyze the given charts and make recommendations for the company.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Istanbul (Turkey)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nielsen (Istanbul (Turkey)) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied on Linkedin and few days later received an email for online tests.After completing the tests I was invited for an interview.Appointment was around the end of work hour.I waited 30 mins!So unprofessional.Since she was late,she forced me answer fast and shortly which made me nervous.Then I waited a bit more for the manager.He came with two A4-sized papers in hand and asked me review the statistics (actually basically simple percentages like monthly changes comparing a few companies)He was totally unprofessional as well.Towards the end of the interview,told me that "you say you can handle data but your CV is all about social sciences"!!I was shocked.It was irritating and moreover humiliating as social science graduates are dumb and not capable of reading some numbers!(and I am MA & BA holder from top schools with full scholarship)After a week,I emailed the HR person asking about the process/results.I am told that process continues and no results yet.But after that I never heard back!Great job!

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

The hiring process starts with an aptitude test. Its a 90 minutes test comprising of 10 mathematical problems encompassing Venn diagram, percentages, ratios; a one page situation specific write-up and an analysis of a data set. The questions have not changed in the past few years. I would highly recommend doing some online search and preparation, solve free sample mathematical tests available online and be as calm during the test as possible. Time is a crucial element but then getting the right answers is much more important.

Interview Questions

• mathematical problems are tricky and require some rough work, and are not MCQs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The interview followed by test was behavioral in nature plus some analytical questions like calculate how many ping pong balls can fit into this room