Nielsen Emerging Leaders Program: Operations and Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nielsen Emerging Leaders Program: Operations and Technology Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2017

3.4

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL).

Interview

The process was fantastic. The invitational in Tampa is well put on and thought out. It is highly competitive though as the best students from across the country are there.

Interview Questions

• They made you analyze a case study.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Got called back the day after the career fair to do an on-campus. The interview was one-on-one and mostly behavioral. After a few days I got contacted to be flown out for a 2 day interview event in Tampa. The first day was a swanky dinner and talk/Q&A by some execs. The second day was a case study, team case study, and "leadership" interview (which was basically another behavioral).

Interview Questions

• I got asked 3 separate times why I want to work at Nielsen   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

I've had an overall fantastic experience with Nielsen. My process started with on-campus recruiting. They came to my school's career fair; I went up to the Nielsen booth and, after being screened with questions about GPA and general information, spoke with multiple leaders there. I was invited to interview the next day, as well as a mixer that night. I had two 50-minute interviews. Both were behavioral questions, but not a typical leadership interview. Very conversational and flowed effortlessly. The interviewers were very personable and overall awesome people. About a week later, I was contacted by a recruiter and told that I was invited to the invitational in Tampa for the ELP Operations position. I just went through that invitational. It was fantastic; it included a nice dinner and face time with company leaders (there was a keynote from one of the VPs!), a Hilton hotel stay, delicious meals and swag bags, and panels from past ELP associates. It was very well-organized. The first day was a relaxing welcome. The second day was three interviews, starting at 8 AM: a team challenge, a leadership interview, and a case study interview.

Interview Questions

• On-campus interviews:
      - Tell me about a time you failed either personally or professionally.
      - Tell me about a time when you had to change your approach to make something more efficient.
      - Tell me about an initiative you started or a time you took charge.
      - Tell me about a time you challenged a process.

Team challenge:
      - We were emailed two articles to look over relating to TV ratings and the importance of panels before the invitational. You were broken into teams of people in your track (for me, Operations) and given a challenge to come up with solutions for how to make Nielsen's "TV family" data more reliable and high-quality while not increasing company costs. I had a great team. We came up with multiple solutions during about an hour period and then presented on them to Nielsen leaders. It was casual.

Leadership Interview:
      - This was not what I expected. It was entirely behavioral and seemed very redundant, almost like they were testing your endurance or ability to answer very similar questions with different examples. The questions all started with "Tell me about a time when..." and varied slightly. I did not have the best experience with this interview because candidates were all being interviewed in the same big room, separated by curtains, and I was next to a very loud guy. I could barely hear myself think with him next to me, so that threw me off. That same concern was voiced by multiple candidates.

Case study interview:
      - Two days before the invitational, we were emailed a case study of a program that Nielsen uses for internal Operations that digitizes and standardizes work activities across the world. It's a pretty dense packet that described the features and functions of this program. The interview was mainly to ask what you'd change about the program and what challenges you think the developers ran into while they created it. There were no truly technical questions. Just hypothetical situations that required you to dip into technical knowledge and pose solutions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nielsen (West Lafayette, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through a job fair at my university and had an interview the next day. I did not receive an offer
    but If I had I would have had a phone interview after the on campus interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you were in a group and the group struggled, and how your group was able to move past it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Baltimore, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

I turned in my application and resume through campus job postings. Within a week, I recieved an email asking to schedule an on campus interview with them. Then I went on to have an one on one interview. The person who interviewed me was not nice, and she was very rude.

Emerging Leaders Program: Operations and Technology Interview

Interview

Made it to second round of interviews that consisted of 3 back to back interviews. One was technical, another was a case study, and last was team challenge. The technical challenge was pretty difficult. The case study asked me to come up with a mobile app solution for one of the company's problem. The team challenge was okay as long as you step up as a leader and not let just one person do the talking.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a lot of coding questions such as SQL and Python.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nielsen (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I went to an info session on campus, submitted my application, and was asked in for an interview with 3 Nielsen employees. All of them we're very friendly and and we went on tangents talking as a group. It was a good experience but I was not offered the next round (which was a long online survey/ Q and A).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Gainesville, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

Started with a general overview of my experience, then went into general interview questions. First questions were along the lines of "describe a time when ...", leading into more conceptual questions. These covered basic concepts and more aimed at getting an idea of my thought processes rather than testing me for knowledge. The recruiters seemed to like me but I was not offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you developed something innovative, and why was it significant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled for a phone interview after I submitted my resume. The interview was about an hour long. Half of the questions were typical behavioral and situational, then it went into a logical test. The questions didn't seem too difficult at the time, then I was told later that they required more thought.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL) in January 2010.

Interview

I talked to Nielsen for the first time at my universities' career fair. I didn't really expect to get a call back or even less an interview. A few days later I was called by a recruiter to set up an on campus interview. The first interview was really hard. I was hit with all sorts of questions from your typical behavioral questions to really technical one's. The interview lasted about an hour and was done by two recruiters.

A few days later I got a a phone call from Nielsen inviting to second round interviews in Tampa, FL. It was held at a very nice resort. There was a full day of interviews 7:30AM to 2PM. I interviewed a total of 3 times with 2 managers each time. After the interviews the VP of their Global Business Unit was in town and stopped by to give a key note speech and I thought it was really cool of how much exposure you have just as a candidate for the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me in C how to take the word "FOX" and rearrange the words backwords to spell "XOF" using only a stack and one variable.   2 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone and you did not get a long with them.   Answer Question
    • Tell why you think you are a good fit for the emerging leaders program.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation the salary was very competitive.