Nielsen Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017
1,007 Interview Reviews

2.9

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Got call from recruiter and interview was scheduled after couple of days. After the first interview, case study and maths questions was tough. you need to prepare all cat level questions so prepare it from very good book then it had case as normal one.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vadodara (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nielsen (Vadodara (India)) in October 2016.

Interview

Closed questions that demonstrate our knowledge by requiring a specific factual answer.
    Open-ended questions that are broader in scope and require you to work through the answer.
    Situational questions that describe a hypothetical situation and ask how you would proceed in those circumstances.
    Behavioural questions that ask you to describe a time in your own history when you dealt with a certain situation, and to explain how you dealt with it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at our company?   1 Answer
    • Why should I hire you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter, then came in on-site for a test with several other applicants. I later had a panel interview with three separate people that took an afternoon. I followed up but they never got back to me after I spent a lot of time with them. Really soured me on the company and how they treat people.

Interview Questions

• What might be some challenges to overcome in bringing a US sports team to China?   Answer Question

Nielsen Response

May 13, 2016 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Hello- Thank you for your interest in Nielsen and for participating in our selection process. I very sincerely apologize that no one got back to you. I'm not sure what happened in this instance ... More

Analyst - BevAl Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Nielsen (Deerfield, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a Nielsen recruiter to schedule a phone interview. We set the day and time, on the interview day I waited by my phone. After 15 minutes and no call I decided to call her, no answer and left a message. After an hour, I went back to work and emailed the recruiter. She had put up an auto message that she was unexpectedly going to be out of the office that day and would return phone/email when she got back. She didn't bother to call or email me before or after. I tried to email again a few days later. No answer. Maybe she quit or got fired? I tried to get in contact with the main HR office. No luck.

This was entirely way to much work I was doing for something I shouldn't be doing.

I ended up signing with a rival company.

I hope this experience doesn't reflect how Nielsen runs a company as a whole.

COE INNOVATION LEAD MEXCAM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mexico City (Mexico)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Mexico City (Mexico)) in November 2011.

Interview

HR recuits the candidates based on the description that each area share, they make an interview to screen and assure that the profile fits with the requierements, then a test is done depending on the area an assessment is made and after the candidate pass the test then it goes to the interviews with the members of the area in which is planning to enter

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied through campus career services and got a first round interview on campus. Interview was 45 minute behavioral type. There was a meet a greet the night before- I suggest going as it is where I met the interviewer. During the meet and greet I asked my interviewer if there would be brain teasers as the ones that are posted on this site and she told me "not that I know of'. She had never conducted an interview before and had no idea what she was talking about considering over half the interview consisted of brain teaser questions. The beginning of the interview was the generic walk me through your resume. She then pulled out a packet with questions related to business scenarios and things as crazy as how many slices of pizza a college campus would consume in a year. They just want to hear how you reason things out- so talk through your process as much as you can.

This interview was insanely hard to prepare for as the questions were meant to make you think on the spot. The interviewer was extremely unprepared and frazzled, flipping threw the packet and reading the questions during the first time during the interview. I have no idea why such a prestigious company chose to send such an unprepared recruit to campus and thought it would work in my benefit. It however did not. I was disappointed to find that no one I knew who interviewed got the job besides 1. Not surprised though this process was very vigorous- even more competitive than interviewing with the big 4.

Interview Questions

• You have a 3 oz and a 5 oz cup of water how do you measure 1 oz?   Answer Question

GBS Emerging Leaders Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL) in November 2012.

Interview

Initial interview with members of the department you selected, followed by the invitational event in Tampa. Three day process with a barrage of interviews including personal, case study, and group interviews. Excellent interviewing process, also includes question/answer time with others who have been through the program previously, presentations from Nielsen executives, and in depth explanations of the program. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, while having very high expectations for performance.

Interview Questions

• Group project where you work with other people applying for your track within the ELP. Given one hour to solve a problem and prepare a presentation while working on a team with people you've just met.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2011.

Interview

The Nielsen Company has an extremely competitive and demanding interview process. In my experience it had four components:
    1) Preliminary Phone Screen
    2) Math Skills/ Business Acumen Written Exam
    3) 3 1:1 Interviews
    4) 3 more 1:1 Interviews

Preliminary Phone Screen - in this segment, I was introduced to my recruiter. She was extremely nice and helpful throughout the process. The screen consisted of general questions regarding my education, my background, some brief leadership questions, and my knowledge of the company. It was relatively easy.

Written Exam - This exam was EXTREMELY hard. I took it on site, was given a calculator and scrap paper and roughly 2 hours. The questions are similar to GMAT questions but each question consists of at least 3 or 4 parts. They are difficult but if you don't panic and try to reason through the questions you can solve them. Make sure you are strong with WEIGHTED AVERAGES questions, as well as basic algebra, and MGMT ACCOUNTING questions involving Break Even Points, Fixed Costs and Variable Costs etc. But especially weighted averages. The second part of the exam are written case study questions. You need a fundamental understanding of how to approach case studies to excel here. I strongly recommend Cosentino's Case In Point book to acquire the skills necessary for case studies.

1:1 Interviews - The interviews were all extremely pleasant, and I could tell that I would enjoy working with my colleagues. The questions were behavioral ("leadership", "time you failed", "time you disagreed with a colleague," etc.). I also had a case study on each interview so roughly 6 case studies. They were mainly New Product Development cases, Industry Analysis Cases, Growth Strategy Cases, some Market sizing and some simple Random Questions ("How many quarters will it take to get to the top of the empire state building?") The case studies were interesting and fun to discuss.

After my second round of interviews I received a phone call and a verbal offer. I was ecstatic! This is a great company to work for!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you failed, and what did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • Your company wants to increase the price of the product, but wants to maintain market share. What would you recommend?   1 Answer

Negotiation

the offer was fair considering my education and my background and I accepted immediately. Was roughly middle of the range for my position.

Product Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Too many calls, interviews and tests; too much time spent with little decision making. Each interviewer picks his/her candidate and battle against each other for cultural/ethnic domination. For some reason they want people with superb mathematical skills, you will find out why once you meet the interviewers. Needless to say, if an interviewer doesn’t like you and can't find something to be incisive about, they will make it up. You will NEVER have enough math skills if an interviewer doesn’t like you. Ironically, found out the company is in question for their research numbers on minorities.

Database Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nielsen in July 2009.

Interview

HR set up a phone interview that sounded general- "we'll tell you about the job, you can highlight some of your experience." Appointment time came and went with no phone call. HR finally called to CANCEL 45 minutes later and rescheduled for another day.

Interview Questions

• First HR interview asked VERY specific questions. Lots of those "tell me about a time when..." questions. Ugh.   Answer Question

Test was a monotonous reflection of what my day-to-day tasks would be.