Nielsen Professional Services, Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

3.2

58 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied through campus career services and got a first round interview on campus. Interview was 45 minute behavioral type. There was a meet a greet the night before- I suggest going as it is where I met the interviewer. During the meet and greet I asked my interviewer if there would be brain teasers as the ones that are posted on this site and she told me "not that I know of'. She had never conducted an interview before and had no idea what she was talking about considering over half the interview consisted of brain teaser questions. The beginning of the interview was the generic walk me through your resume. She then pulled out a packet with questions related to business scenarios and things as crazy as how many slices of pizza a college campus would consume in a year. They just want to hear how you reason things out- so talk through your process as much as you can.

This interview was insanely hard to prepare for as the questions were meant to make you think on the spot. The interviewer was extremely unprepared and frazzled, flipping threw the packet and reading the questions during the first time during the interview. I have no idea why such a prestigious company chose to send such an unprepared recruit to campus and thought it would work in my benefit. It however did not. I was disappointed to find that no one I knew who interviewed got the job besides 1. Not surprised though this process was very vigorous- even more competitive than interviewing with the big 4.

Interview Questions

• You have a 3 oz and a 5 oz cup of water how do you measure 1 oz?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my school and on campus recruiting. I got an email for an interview. The day before the interview on a Monday they invited us to a "mixer" that night to make us feel better for a couple hours. It did not. They also required us to take an hour long logic test the day before the interview. Very frustrating and felt like they didnt respect our time. Interviewed with one person the next day for 45 mins.

Flew out to Chicago to interview all day and they let me know my flight info 2 days before my flight. Another lack of concern/care for the candidates. There were four 45 min long interviews with a case study. No feedback. Intermixed marketing questions.

I was on a deadline for another offer and called multiple times to remind them of this. They told me via email the day before my deadline which I found pretty disrespectful. Overall, I have only heard more horrible experiences from other candidates with Nielsen and their HR. Speaks volumes of the company itself

Interview Questions

• Coke wants to start a wine line, what would you tell them?   Answer Question
    • An existing yogurt brand wants to increase their pricing, should they?   Answer Question
    • How many people will buy christmas trees this year   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Very pleasant and structured, some difficult questions. My resume wasn't exactly lined up for the job but the interviewer seemed to have interest in my perspective... didn't make it past the personality test. But the process was a college recruiting event, then to a simple meet and greet, then a 1:1 interview on campus the next day. There is a very quick turn around for this and I didn't have much time to prepare but passed the 1:1 and they sent out a logic and personality test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Parsippany, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

I had an on campus interview that was a one-on-one interview. It lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of both behavioral and case study questions. I then was invited to attend a second round interview in Parsippany, NJ. It was four 45-minute back to back interviews with four different people, some of which focused on case study questions, and some of which focused on behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you made a choice, went really far down that path, and then had to change course last minute? What did you do?   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

I only made it to the first round of interviewing. It was a moderately intense and stuffy interview, with the interviewer asking questions directly out of a worksheet-style packet and writing your answers below. There were a lot of behavioral questions in which they wanted answers detailing specific, to-the-point ways in which you reacted in the situations. I was not contacted at all after the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Parsippany, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Started with an on-campus interview, standard behavioral with some case-like questions at the end, and then time for me to ask any questions. I had actually interviewed with this woman before, so the tone was a bit friendlier.

Advanced to the next round. They were not actually specific that this would also be the final round, but I guess that's assumed since it was off-site. Traveled to Parsippany, NJ location (all paid for by employer), then had 3 45 minute interviews in a row, back to back. After there was a quick lunch with associates (which probably was a secret interview in its own way).

All interviews were similar to the first round, behavioral, time for me to ask questions at the end. But different in the sense that they wanted to hear more about why we wanted Nielsen. More about what we know about Professional Services in particular and what the 3 verticals entail. Above all, wanted to understand how we think, so definitely talk through questions even if you have no idea what the answer is.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest regret? (Emphasis on not work related)
      -Case study question about Coke-A-Cola, what would you suggest if they are interested in joining craft beer industry? Good idea or bad?
      -Question about cake. Brain teaser. You want to cut it into 8 slices but can only cut it 3 times. How do you do this?
      -How many people buy soft drinks in the United States?
      -Why Nielsen/Why Professional Services
      -Why ____(your university)
      -Biggest accomplishment at your university to date.
      -Some question about grape oreos (other candidates have posted, it's the exact same one)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college job board, received a math/analytical assessment from Nielsen a few days later to complete. After that, I got an email inviting me to an on-campus interview a few days later as well as an invite to the pre-night interview social the day before. Going to that was a smart choice since it allowed me to meet with my interviewer beforehand. On-campus interview went really well and consisted of mainly behavioral questions plus one estimation question and one case type question at the end. Within a couple days, I received a call to come into the Chicago office for a four hour final round interview. That interview consisted of three separate 45-minute sessions with different Nielsen employees, all of whom asked similar behavioral type questions -- but there was a lot of room to ask them questions as well and have conversations about Nielsen. After that, I went to lunch with a current employee, which was a great way to get to know more about the company environment in a non-professional setting. Everything at my final round interview went really well too, but I found out a week later via email I didn't receive an offer (probably my B.A. in the arts/humanities couldn't hold out on me any longer). Overall the process was pretty clear and easily navigable though.

Interview Questions

• Primarily behavioral type questions, a few analytical questions (estimation question + marketing/segmentation analysis questions)   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Short on campus interview with brain teasers and situational questions, and longer final round interview in the office with more situational and why Nielsen questions. Everyone was very nice and friendly, clear communication

Interview Questions

• What criticism have you received in the past and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2014.

Interview

I met them at career fair and received and invitation to an on-campus interview. Before going to the interview I had to take an assessment online. This was not very hard, but it asked questions that made you think and you only had 3 minutes to answer each question. The on-campus interview consisted of two 45 minute interviews. They were mostly behavioral questions, but some were problem solving.

Interview Questions

• What is the change in price per year formula?   Answer Question
    • If you have a 3oz cup and a 5 oz cup and an unlimited supply of water, how do you measure exactly 4 oz without using anything else.   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2014.

Interview

This was through on-campus recruiting -- I talked with them at my university's Career Fair, attended several information sessions, and tried to understand the different positions available and the different verticals within Professional Services.

The interview itself was relatively straightforward. I interviewed for full-time on campus, so I did two 45-minute interviews (essentially first and second round interviews in one go). In each, we spent some time discussing my resume. Then, I was asked behavioral questions (mostly revolving around teamwork, giving presentation, using data to tell a story). There were a couple of marketing case questions, where I was given a company and a situation they were in and asked what types of questions I would ask and what type of data I would recommend the company look for. They also threw in a couple of brainteasers (you have one five ounce cup and one three ounce cup and an unlimited amount of water. How do you get one of the cups to have one ounce of water?).

Interview Questions

• 1) When were you in a situation where you were asked to do something you were uncomfortable with and how did you respond?

2) How many flights leave from the Atlanta International Airport every week? (and other similar brain teasers)

3) Mondelez has released a grape Oreo and they see that sales aren't that high (really? Ya think?). How would you go about increasing demand for this product?

4) Company X is a large, well-known company in a niche market selling granola bars. Company Y has just penetrated the market with a similar product at a lower price. Company X tries to release granola bars in smaller packages with a lower price and increased advertising, but sales do not increase. What types of questions would you ask and what type of data would you recommend the company look into?   1 Answer

Wasn't the type of company I was looking for.