Nielsen Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.9

Professional Services Analytics Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straightforward. I submitted an application and was followed up with a call from HR that was basically a get to know me call, then I scheduled a video interview. This process took about 2 weeks all together.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Nielsen, Talk about a time you were faced with a difficult situation and how you resolved that situation.   Answer Question

Emerging Technology Program - Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

One round of on campus interviews, then a two-day invitational in Tampa, FL. The invitational was broken up into three separate interviews - one group interview to gauge collaboration, one technical interview to gauge personal aptitude for the relevant skills, and one case study interview to see how well you synthesize and understand dense material in a somewhat short time frame.

Interview Questions

• One question was asking me to comment on improvements I would make to a provided (lengthy) case study.   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

I was recruited through my university. The process was 3 steps: resume submission, on-campus interview, and on-site interview. The on-campus interview was personality/resume based with one very broad business thinking type question. The on-site consisted of Q&A with current associates and 4-45 minute interviews. Of these 4, two were purely resume/behavioral, one also included market-sizing and critical thinking questions, and the other was purely a case question. The case question consisted of 20 minutes to examine available data on a table and ask questions and then 10-15 to summarize the situation and recommend next steps. All behavioral questions were fairly typical.

Turnaround was very quick: only a few days between application due date and first interview, then a week before second interview, then another 9 days before the offer.

Interview Questions

• How many new spoons are sold annually in the United States (only metal, no plastic)?   1 Answer

Commercial ELP Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone screen first round, just 30 minutes over Skype doing basic behavioral. Then they flew out 40 people to NYC for a superday, consisting of four rounds. 1. Case—you're given a couple charts and graphs about a business, asked a question about that business. 30 Minutes to prepare a paper deck. 5 Minute presentation of your case, pretty simple, not a lot of questions asked by the interviewers. 2. HR interview—standard beavhioral questions, ask why you fit at Nielsen, "tell me a time when...", etc. 3. "Buy" interview—More analytical questions. Some market sizing stuff, and then brainstorming case style questions like "Coca Cola is trying to introduce a new product, what do they need to consider?" 4. "Watch" interview—Pretty behavioral, a couple questions about digital media and the entertainment industry, making sure you know your stuff

Interview Questions

• How can Nielsen stay relevant in the future?   Answer Question
    • What's a time you had to switch tactics when you were really far along in a project?   Answer Question

Emerging Technologist Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Saint Petersburg, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

They came to my school's career fair and did in person interviews the following day. Was invited to interview on site in Florida within a few days, and heard back with a result after the onsite within two days again.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers, find if a consecutive series of that array that sums to zero exists   1 Answer

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my school and on campus recruiting. I got an email for an interview. The day before the interview on a Monday they invited us to a "mixer" that night to make us feel better for a couple hours. It did not. They also required us to take an hour long logic test the day before the interview. Very frustrating and felt like they didnt respect our time. Interviewed with one person the next day for 45 mins.

Flew out to Chicago to interview all day and they let me know my flight info 2 days before my flight. Another lack of concern/care for the candidates. There were four 45 min long interviews with a case study. No feedback. Intermixed marketing questions.

I was on a deadline for another offer and called multiple times to remind them of this. They told me via email the day before my deadline which I found pretty disrespectful. Overall, I have only heard more horrible experiences from other candidates with Nielsen and their HR. Speaks volumes of the company itself

Interview Questions

• Coke wants to start a wine line, what would you tell them?   Answer Question
    • An existing yogurt brand wants to increase their pricing, should they?   Answer Question
    • How many people will buy christmas trees this year   Answer Question

Professional Services Analytics Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The process took a little over 5 weeks from from the info session to the offer. I took an online test, participated in a meet and greet with associates night, and had 1 round of on campus interviews. The interview was 75% experience-based questions and 25% (% breakdown based on time spent) technical marketing/"case" questions. I don't like calling it a case because they were quite general, just giving you an opportunity to throw out important knowledge you could bring to the table.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to think big picture   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nielsen (Evanston, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

It was pretty brutal. I spoke on the phone with someone from Nielsen's HR department. It was a little weird because I got absolutely no feedback on my answers, so it just kind of felt like I was rambling. After the phone interview, I had to take an online aptitude test. I wish that I had a better understanding of what the test would be when I started it. There were some logic questions and some personality questions. The test goes on for a while. The logic questions were difficult in the sense that I did not have enough time to work through them. I would definitely recommend having a pen and paper ready to go.

I took the online test 3 weeks ago, and I never heard back. I'm not just saying it was a bad overall experience because I didn't get an offer. It was legitimately rough.

Interview Questions

• How many miles are run on a treadmill during a given Saturday in May?   1 Answer

Lead Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nielsen (Columbia, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

The overall experience was good. very relaxed. i got a call to set up the initial screen interview. phone screen, followed by a phone interview, followed by a face to face interview

Interview Questions

• previous experience, knowledge of data analytics, presentations and publications, former employers, education, expectation.   Answer Question

Commercial Emerging Leaders Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2016.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview, and the interviewer said that the final candidates would be flown to New York the following week. I know a candidate who received a rejection email and another who ultimately got an offer, but I never heard anything.