Nielsen Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nielsen Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nielsen (Evanston, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

It was pretty brutal. I spoke on the phone with someone from Nielsen's HR department. It was a little weird because I got absolutely no feedback on my answers, so it just kind of felt like I was rambling. After the phone interview, I had to take an online aptitude test. I wish that I had a better understanding of what the test would be when I started it. There were some logic questions and some personality questions. The test goes on for a while. The logic questions were difficult in the sense that I did not have enough time to work through them. I would definitely recommend having a pen and paper ready to go.

I took the online test 3 weeks ago, and I never heard back. I'm not just saying it was a bad overall experience because I didn't get an offer. It was legitimately rough.

Interview Questions

• How many miles are run on a treadmill during a given Saturday in May?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Simple phone interview to get your background first. Questions are not too hard, it's an easy conversation. Only took about 10 or 15 minutes. Then they get back to you if you pass.

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

Phone interview with HR. Then an in-person interview w/ 4 different people (lots of case studies here). Have examples of pharmaceutical advertising in mind. Then 2 additional phone interviews. Office was very casual.

Interview Questions

• How many miles are ran on treadmills in the US in one day in May?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nielsen in March 2016.

Interview

Easy interview. Despite the 40 hours I put in prepping, the qualifications I possess in having professional sales experience and working within a corporate company processing data, my degree in marketing and my understanding of the company, I wasn't even contacted for a 2nd round interview. Makes you wonder what they are really looking for in their applicants. Despite the qualifications you may possess, something tells me they look at the subtle differences. Nowadays it's not about smarts, or if you can do the job, it is about how well you understand their leadership programs or how neat your handwriting is--meticulous little things that don't apply to the job but hey it's enough of a difference for them to say "ehhh no thanks"

Good luck to anyone who applies here. It's an interesting company, but I can only wonder where they are headed when I hear about the character of persons they do bring in, and the character of persons who they do not bring in.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied for position. Got email asking for phone interview a couple weeks later. After phone interview with HR recruiter, I was asked for another phone interview, this time with a manager. After the manager phone interview, I was contacted a few days later to schedule a time for an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of three 1-on-1 interviews (two with managers and one with VP of dept.). After the interviews, I was given a 90 minute analytical assessment that had a lot of logic/probability questions. Basically given to see how you approach different problems.

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Wilton, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

There were a few steps to the process for Nielsen.

1) Application and aptitude test. The test was designed to get an idea of your workplace personality, and there were several logic questions designed to test your conceptual skills.

2) First interview. This interview was held at my university, and it was fairly basic. The two interviewers asked me about my job experience, why I wanted to work for Nielsen, and a couple analytical questions to see my thought process and problem solving skills.

3) The final round was at the actual Nielsen office. I was put up in a hotel the night before, and then had a superday. There were 3 consecutive 1 on 1 interviews, each for 45 minutes. They were similar in structure, each asking about different work situations I had been in, why I wanted Nielsen, and one analytical question. The interviewers were personable and great! Some recently hired analysts then brought us out to lunch and we could ask specific questions about the job.

I found out within 48 hours that I was being offered a position. I would recommend doing lots of research on the company, and make sure you have a passion for Nielsen and everything they do. That will make you stand out from the crowd.

Interview Questions

• Pick a food or beverage product and decide how you would change it. What would you need to know in order to market the new product and how would you go about promoting it?   Answer Question
    • Coca-Cola has released a new line of Strawberry Coke, and consumers say that it tastes really good. However, first quarter sales are much lower than forecasted. What factors could have influenced this, and what reasons might there be lower sales?   Answer Question
    • Assume there are 25,000 students at your university. Approximately how many bus trips are taken by students every year?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Got contacted by an HR, no phone interview and go straight to onsite. The onsite interviews were 5 1:1 30mins, nothing difficult or unexpected, but you need to show strong interest in the particular role. They are quite laid-back on hiring process, slow replies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2014.

Interview

Nielsen came to my University's business school career fair for entry level positions. The interview process began with applying through the Nielsen HR portal, including an online personality and analytical test. I would advise to go online and practice a few free tests to get a feel on how to answer quickly, as there is a time limit for each question.

The interview was conducted by a current employee, not by HR. As a result, the interview did not flow very well as the interviewer had to get to all the questions on his list and write my answers down. The questions asked were normal behavioral interview questions with a one analytical reasoning question. The interviewer did ask questions that I did not expect, which made it more difficult than other interviews I have had.

Interview Questions

• How would you figure out how many slices of pizza are eaten on your campus in one week?   Answer Question
    • What one experience has impacted your life the most?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by an HR rep about a month after submitting my application online. Had a phone interview in the following days, which was easy and nothing out of the ordinary, although be prepared for "give an example of a time you had to explain a complex topic in simple terms". After that, there was an online assessment, which consisted of both personality questions, as well as a series of logic questions (the kind where you are given some info and have to put events in the correct order). You get 3 minutes per logic question. I was then contacted the following week for an on-site interview and exam. The exam is 1 hour, 10 questions (with sub parts) and not challenging if you've read the posts on here and prepared for the topics. Then there were three 45-minute interviews. The questions really depend on the interviewer. My first one was very heavy on the analytical questions, e.g. you have 15 minutes and a ruler, how do you measure how many blades of grass are on a football field. The other 2 were more behavioral, with a few marketing/analytical questions, e.g. there's a store with whole, 2%, 1%, skim, and chocolate milk, the owner wants to add soy milk, which milk to you take out and why (just be able to justify your response, there's no right answer). Then there's lunch with a current analyst, which is casual and just a fun time to talk about the role and the company! I don't think this happens often, but I then had another quick phone interview, and at the end I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How much milk is sold in the US every year?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate, I was happy with the offer and excited to work for the company!

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen.

Interview

Phone screening, Behavioral Assessment, In person math exam, three interviews with five people, and then maybe lunch if you're lucky.

The process was very intimidating yet beneficial as well.

If you don't pass the math exam you can not move on with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job? I didn't want to say anything bad about my current employer but how do I say all the reasons why I want to leave.   Answer Question