Nielsen Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 12, 2017

3.1

76 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen (Mumbai (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

It took 4 months to schedule an interview after written test. As I was located away, had 2 rounds of telephonic calls once with Hiring Manager and another with Director

Interview Questions

• 1st Interview round you are given a graph, a table and asked to analyse looking at the numbers what would be the right decision. They are interested in knowing your thought process. Lot of logic related and what if questions. Your answers will be scrutinized.
    2nd interview with Director was purely number based. Probability, Percentage and allied Mathematics tools. Please sit with a calculator. The questions will be tweaked once you come to conclusion. So be clear.   1 Answer
  • potatoes are put to dry on Day 1, they have 99% water content. On day too they loose water content and now it's 98% of the mass. How much has the weight reduced?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Wilton, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

There were a few steps to the process for Nielsen.

1) Application and aptitude test. The test was designed to get an idea of your workplace personality, and there were several logic questions designed to test your conceptual skills.

2) First interview. This interview was held at my university, and it was fairly basic. The two interviewers asked me about my job experience, why I wanted to work for Nielsen, and a couple analytical questions to see my thought process and problem solving skills.

3) The final round was at the actual Nielsen office. I was put up in a hotel the night before, and then had a superday. There were 3 consecutive 1 on 1 interviews, each for 45 minutes. They were similar in structure, each asking about different work situations I had been in, why I wanted Nielsen, and one analytical question. The interviewers were personable and great! Some recently hired analysts then brought us out to lunch and we could ask specific questions about the job.

I found out within 48 hours that I was being offered a position. I would recommend doing lots of research on the company, and make sure you have a passion for Nielsen and everything they do. That will make you stand out from the crowd.

Interview Questions

• Pick a food or beverage product and decide how you would change it. What would you need to know in order to market the new product and how would you go about promoting it?   Answer Question
    • Coca-Cola has released a new line of Strawberry Coke, and consumers say that it tastes really good. However, first quarter sales are much lower than forecasted. What factors could have influenced this, and what reasons might there be lower sales?   Answer Question
    • Assume there are 25,000 students at your university. Approximately how many bus trips are taken by students every year?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone screening with recruiter. Very easy -- mainly just to make sure you are a competent individual to invite into the office.
    In Person Interview with multiple members of the research team. Very time consuming process. Most people are very nice, but it entirely depends on who you are speaking with.
    Mathematical test was okay. It is like basic, standardized high school math test. Don't take it too lightly -- review main algebraic concepts. All new hires need to pass at least 7 out of 10 questions.
    Case study -- terrible. No feedback whatsoever. I think it was a good job, but who knows. I think it counts very little in the overall interview process.
    n).

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen (Cincinnati, OH) in September 2010.

Interview

Submitted Resume, called back for an on campus interview (~30-45 minutes long) and took a test (writing and calculations), then called back for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of an overview session followed by breakfast with a current employee, then three 45 minute interviews, and finally a group Q&A session. They later called back and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• The on campus interview was a fairly straightforward interview, except for when the interviewer pulled out a page of data, explained the background for it, and asked me to walk him through how I'd determine which of 5 items to pull from the shelf and which to put more support behind.

None of the individual on site interview questions were particularly difficult, but they covered a broad range of question types.

The first was a fairly standard interview with some behavioral questions (strengths and weaknesses, tell me about a time when you ___, tell me more about this item on your resume, why are you interested in this job, why do you think you'd be a good fit, etc.).

The second was primarily designed to assess how I think/analyze things (give an example of a good and bad ad campaign, what questionable assumptions does this ad make, how would you figure out how many dollar bills would fit in the Empire State building, if you have 2 baskets of black and red balls, how would you arrange those balls to have the greatest chance of someone picking a red ball at random, etc.)

The third seemed to be designed to assess which area of the company would be the best fit, whether my skills and interests are a good match for the company, and if it's in line with what I'm looking for in a job.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nielsen in October 2009.

Interview

The process varies depending on whether the candidate applies in the university channel or the "regular" channel. All candidates are pre-screened either in a on-campus in-person interview, or via a phone interview. Following that there is an analytical assessment which is required for all Nielsen analysts. If successful on both the initial interview AND the assessment, the candidate is invited for an all-day on site interview with 4-5 people from various areas of the organization.

Although the analytical assessment is not much different that the standard GMAT test, most candidates fail it.

Interview Questions

• If I want to know how many passengers fly out of J.F. Kennedy airport every day, what do I need to do?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in September 2010.

Interview

Soon after I submitted my resume, I was contacted for a phone interview. At this time, I was scheduled for an analytical assessment. I didn't think the assessment was that awful, but I did run out of time. There are a lot of business related math concepts requiring multiple steps. There were also 2 case studies. I think for a business, econ, or math background, this test would be a breeze. I found out a week after the assessment that I didn't meet the requirements. I guess it wasn't the job for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Chicago, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

I only rated the process difficult because of the assessment. The hiring process is very structured, phone, assessment, goup interviews and a verdict. I took the asessment recently and it was much harder than expected. The test would have been much easier if I would have anticipated a difficult test however, I went into the test thinking it couldnt be too hard, wrong. Practice probability, breakeven points and profitability along with time management and reading comprehension. If you prepare well you should be ok. The recruiter opened up the phone interview by asking what I know about Nielsen. Seems like a great company to work for if given the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Nielsen?   Answer Question
    • You are given a case study about a magazine article and asked to analyze the article and expand on the effectiveness.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got an interview request email from HR a little over a week later. Did an initial phone screen with HR to make sure I'm human and sane and literate. Was assigned an analytics project to turn in about a week later, along with a few in-person interviews, where I met with two people at a time. Heard back a week after that to schedule a second round of interviews, then a week after that I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all pretty standard, why you want the job, what you'll bring to the table, background, etc. A few asked about the assignment they gave, one person asked a pretty straightforward reasoning question a la the "golf balls in a bus" scenario.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nielsen (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted my app online, a few days later an HR rep contacted me for a short phone call. It was a standard phone call - talked about my background, my interest in Nielsen (definitely an important question that you need to answer well). It went well enough that she sent me a case study, which was meant to be completed within a few days. I thought it was pretty simple, but then again, I never got feedback on it.

Next part was an in person interview, where I met with a VP and then two team members after. Two 30 minute interviews that weren't too difficult, pretty conversational with a mix of personality questions and more explaining my background and why I think I would be a good fit. After the second interview, I was introduced to more members from the team, which I thought was a good sign that I had performed fairly well.

Followed up after with thank you notes, then a week or so later sent an email asking if a decision had been made. No response, then sent one a few days ago and no response. Not really sure what they are looking for. I doubt I was the most qualified candidate, but I thought I did well enough to warrant a response following the interview. It's a nice building and obviously a really well known company, but I was disappointed to just be ignored post interview.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nielsen (Taipei (Taiwan)) in May 2017.

Interview

Need to give a presentation in English based on provided information.
    A helpful experience, make me understand the R&R.
    A relaxing conversation, not too difficult if you prepared well for your experience.