Nielsen Senior Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

2.6

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen (Wilton, CT).

Interview

The interview consisted of four phases: 1 - Initial phone screen with a Nielsen HR rep, 2 - An electronic assessment test (1hr), 3 - A 1hr phone interview with a VP within the practice area, and 4 - An in-person interview with three Directors/VPs. Overall, the difficulty level was average because I knew the functional area very well. If you do not know the functional area in detail, I'd rank it a difficult interview.

1- The initial phone screen was straightforward. Walk through your resume, why Nielsen, what are you looking for, what's your current salary, etc.

2 - Assessment test - Analytical/Logical reasoning questions (not math, think GMAT type questions) and behavioral questions (generally easy, such as "People would describe you as open to new ideas...."). I am not certain, but I think one needs 12 out of 15 correct to move on to the next phase. On the behavioral, they try to ask you the same question in slightly different ways, at different times, my guess is to see if you answer consistently.

3 - Phone interview. Interviewer asks in depth questions about your background, experiences, and abilities. Plus, questions like "Tell me about a time when...", so be prepared with use case examples of your work

4 - Similar to #3, but in person. Additionally, the last interviewer did a case study; client situation, what they're looking to achieve - How would you approach this problem? Followed by another handout showing the outputs from an analytics study - What insights or guidance would you deliver to the client, based on these results?

After, they took awhile to get back to me, but they offered me the position, which I turned down. The overall compensation for the position was too low (including benefits - their health plans are poor, not competitive at all) plus (they offered a base salary much lower than my current position, below industry standard, and not commensurate with my experience. My take is, Nielsen thinks they can get away with this because people want the brand name Nielsen on their resume. I attempted to negotiate by providing a reasonable counteroffer within ~8% of what they offered, which would still result in me taking a large pay cut to join, plus providing a business case for how I could provide value. They would not negotiate. My take is I hit a "bureaucratic wall," which some companies do - set a ceiling on the salary, even if it is below industry standard with poor benefits, and don't allow any negotiation beyond that.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through how you would you tell a client to approach measuring and assessing the effectiveness of their marketing mix activities?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nielsen

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Wilton, CT) in July 2013.

Interview

HR Phone Screen, Case Study, 3 behavioral sessions for on-site interview. The case study is stats based, so you need to know the basics. Otherwise, it's about making sense of marketing data to come up with a reco for the mock client.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nielsen (Tampa, FL) in November 2011.

Interview

A friend of mine referred me for the position via email. I sent her a cover letter and resume and she forwarded it on to the hiring manager, along with a strong recommendation. The hiring manager reached out to me and weI scheduled an interview. The day before the interview with the hiring manager, I received a phone call from an HR representative who screened me. I met the qualifications so she told me that she would refer me to the hiring manager, unaware that I already had an interview scheduled for the following day. The next day, I met with numerous people in the department to prepare myself for the interview. These were informational interviews. Finally, I met with the hiring manager in an interview that went very well. Ultimately, I did not receive the position because the hiring manager opted to go with an internal candidate. However, she made it clear that she felt I could be successful at the company and would be happy to lobby on my behalf should I find another role that I was interested in.

Interview Questions

• How do you gather information from people who are often busy with their own responsibilities?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nielsen (Washington, DC) in September 2009.

Interview

Phone screen; in person panel interview.

Interview Questions

• None really. Mostly just work experience. Interviewers did most of the talking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered a low amount, I countered higher, they came close to matching.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

Interview

CV Screening at first, then we filtered some outstanding CVs. Next the HR's interview, Hiring Manager's interview then, maybe two team's reprentatives did the same session, there's an possible regional interview depending the role of this job

Interview Questions

• Tell me of your pros and cons and have you had experience in working in foreign company   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nielsen (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Telephone Interview
    2 to 1 Interview
    Tests
    Final Interview

In the 2 to 1 interview they go through your CV and they also ask how would you deal with certain situations.

The psychometric tests consist of numerical, written and reasoning tests.

The final interview will be with the team leader or director.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nielsen (Mumbai (India)) in July 2013.

Interview

- 6-7 rounds of interview
    - 3 technical
    - 1 presentation
    - 2 global Hr
    - 1 local HR

Interviews are majorily focussed on conflict management , influencing skills , change management , project description , change management , Virtual workplace etc

Interview Questions

• how has change management improved your life ?   1 Answer