Nintendo of America Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in August 2008.

Interview

I began the application process through the company's website. They use Taleo as an applicant tracking system, so the interface is a bit clunky - but once you push through it, you won't have to re-enter your info. I heard back from their HR department (through e-mail) within a day. We set up a phone screen for later that same day. The recruiter was very nice, very easy to talk to. Nothing really out of the ordinary in the phone screen... pretty much the top 10 interview questions you'd find doing a Google search on the subject.

Next up was an in-person with the hiring manager. If I recall, it took just under a week to get that scheduled - or, rather, it was scheduled to occur within the week. This interview was conducted with my (soon-to-be) direct supervisor and dept. manager. It was relatively low pressure as engineering interviews go. The interviewers were very personable. It didn't feel like an inquisition the way that some employer's engineering interviews do. A lot of Q&A on basic engineering principles, win32 concepts, and some game theory. I was surprised that there was no whiteboarding, although I've since seen other interviewers use the whiteboard... Just got lucky, I guess.

Finally, they set up a series of cultural interviews. This is an organization that is fanatical about cultural fit. To clarify, they want to know about your personality, your fit with the Nintendo corporate image. The one thing that I regret is that I didn't use this phase to determine what effect having a Japanese parent company would have on the work culture. Not bad, just a bit of a shock. I would strongly advise asking about the cultural differences in this phase, if not earlier. Anyhow, in this phase I was asked to shoot the breeze with each of the department heads (those I hadn't spoken with), as well as the President and VP. They seemed to really just be looking at my perception of Nintendo product. The impression I got was that they aren't looking for, "geeks and Otaku," to abuse the quote, but you should still love the brand.

The offer came shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions

• Describe what is meant (in C++) by "template specialization." Provide examples.   1 Answer
  • What is "subclassing" in Win32?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The first thing I would say is that the recruiters probably won't be able to give you specific details on what the company offers as total compensation goes. Most of them, maybe all, are contractors and not under Nintendo's benefits.

That said, the offer came in a bit low. The salaries here are a bit lower because they offer an individual performance bonus of up to 20% semi-annually. I negotiated up by a fair bit, since bonuses don't keep a roof over my head. Also, keep in mind that you'll lose 25% off the top on any bonus paid, thank you "Internal Robbery Service." And you still have to pay into FICA from what's left.

On a different note, they do offer some really good benefits. Their insurance options are top-notch. They offer matching 401k. Pension... Plus lots of perks.

For me, this is a really great company to work for. They really do take care of their employees. But don't be afraid to negotiate.