Nintendo of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Nintendo of America

2.6

Corporate Services Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied on Nintendo's website. Two weeks later they contacted me to set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview went very well; it felt more like a conversation than an interview. The recruiter was nice and we got along pretty well. We talked for a little over 30 minutes then he said they'd let me know if they wanted me to do the online skills tests. About a week later I got a call saying I made it to the next step and they would be emailing me the details for the online assessments. They tested me in Word, Excel, spelling/punctuation/grammar, and a writing sample regarding customer service. There were a few problems with the testing website but I was eventually able to get through the tests. Another week went by before I received a call to come in for an interview.

This is where it all went sour. The questions were all competency-based and focused on leadership and team development. I had no idea it would be so sharply focused on these skills (neither the job description nor the recruiter alluded to the importance of this) so I was unprepared. I knew I wasn't doing well when the interviewer mocked one of my answers. There was one question that I had absolutely no idea what she was getting at. She rephrased it and I still didn't get it. The other person interviewing me rephrased it and it still didn't click. Finally she said "Well let me just tell you what I was looking for and maybe that will help." Problem solving skills. Why she had to make it so convoluted, I'll never know.

I left the interview absolutely drained and knowing I wasn't going to get the job. The manager told me she'd for sure let me know either way. Two weeks later I contacted the recruiter because I hadn't heard anything. About an hour after, he emailed me back with the rejection letter.

Basically the interviewer (the manager of the department) challenged me on every single answer I gave and subtly made me feel inferior. I'm 34 years old and have years of experience leading people but the way I felt after this interview left me with a very negative impression about this woman and Nintendo in general.

I should mention that it's now 3 weeks after they turned me down and the position is still listed as accepting applications, so I do feel a bit of vindication that it wasn't just me who wasn't "good enough".

Interview Questions

• Once you've delegated a task to a team member, how/when do you follow up? How do you know they need help?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview

Folks were nice enough, although a bit disorganized. Interview questions were reasonable, but on the easy side. Walked through some real world problems. One interviewer did ask puzzle questions which I thought were passé.

Interview Questions

• One question was how to test a particular system. Goal was to find all issues that had been found in the real world.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview

Interview process is pretty much getting pulled into their building and interviewed by a few different people. The ask everything from basic c/c++ questions, questions about projects you have worked on, logic puzzles, and they have you write a little bit of code. The interview is generally laid back and casual. The interviewers also share a bit about themselves and what they do at Nintendo of America.

Interview Questions

• The hardest part of the interview would be for me recalling all the little facts about c/c++ that they ask. Study up on these. If you aren't good with logic puzzles make sure you go over those before you go to the interview. The hand written code they have you do is pretty simple though and should be no problem for anyone.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

After 3 interviews no more communication and it's been over a month. I send an email to the manager to check in and never heard back. It would have been great to at least gotten a "it's not going to work" email or something or a way to ask what I could have done better to prepare for future interviews.

Interview Questions

• Create a responsive web page in 15 mins   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America in April 2018.

Interview

Interview was nothing but a formality for an internal hire to be chosen. No joke about never hearing back.

Within two weeks, I had back to back phone interviews that went very smoothly. What caught me off guard was in the third interview, I was told “I don’t know about what happens after this.” I received no communication for two weeks before I took it upon myself to call and discover they’ve moved onto another candidate. I asked if there were any comments. He said there were none at all...very strange. I send two follow up emails concerning where I could improve, radio silence.
    The company is a ‘flat’ company with only horizontal movement it appears. Good luck finding an actual spot that’s open, and not just collecting interviews so they can check off they looked externally. The recruiter was very nice, but the hiring group made it painfully obvious the interview was all a delusion. Very disheartening if this is a dream company for anyone.

Interview Questions

• What project are you most proud of?   1 Answer

IT Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview

Phone screening, initial phone interview and then a face to face with the team. There was a tour of the campus. It was a really nice place to visit even though I didn't get the offer. The people seemed really nice.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions pertaining to the role.   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Slow at times but when they want you they want you. Don't be afraid of negotiating. You don't ask you don't get. Remember though, it's in Redmond, not LA or NY way of thinking.

Interview Questions

• You'll be fine, most don't know how to interview. If you get to the interview they already like you so speak intelligently and know they are looking for a personality fit foremost.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got call from a recruiter. I had one phone interview, two in person interviews. First in person interview was with stuffing company and they had 2 people. After the interview, it took 3 weeks to get the result and next interview. Second interview was a group of 3 interviewers. It took 4 days to give me the result.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about Nintendo?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I couldn't negotiate the salary.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redwood City, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

1st call with HR and went over basic questions. 2nd call with Director of the team. Went in for interviews and met with 5 people. Some were tougher and some were more relaxed. Felt like a personality fit test. Had to take a Microsoft Excel and Power Point test and was tough as it was an expert test.

Interview Questions

• Give me your elevator speech   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered and i countered

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in September 2011.

Interview

I initially applied to an advertised position on the Internet and was contacted a week later by an internal recruiter who conducted a 30-minute phone screen. Two more weeks went by and I received an email from one of their coordinators looking to schedule another phone interview with the hiring manager and a manager-level employee (together) similar to a phone panel interview. Approximately five minutes or so into the phone interview I had decided this role was not for me but put myself through the next 45 minutes of rapid-fire behavioral based questions for practice. It was obvious the job was going to be boring for me and more junior than I had initially thought when applying for the role.

Overall, good interview experience but nothing else. Just not a match for what I am looking for or whom I would enjoy reporting to (hiring manger seemed like a very annoying and petty person to work for).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to show leadership...   1 Answer