Nintendo of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 8, 2017

2.6

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I sat in conference room and several interviewers came in back to back. All MALE interviewers who all seemed to be very into Nintendo. Also included a facility tour. Felt like facility tour was a test to see how excited I was about Nintendo and the amenities they offer (gym, cafeteria, company store, etc). Did I mention I only met or was interviewed by men?

Bilingual Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

applied online-got an e-mail, -a phone interview with HR, a phone interview in Japanese, in-person interview with 3 people.
    The first phone call with HR seemed like a screening. It was very short.
    The second phone interview was about 30 minutes and asked me about my experience and told me about the position. The in-person interview, I realized that I really wanted to work there because they seemed really really nice. They did not give me any difficult or weird questions. It seemed like they really wanted to see if I would fit in.
    in the in-person interview, they man in charge of the first 15 minute interview had a sick day. So I could not hear about the compensation and other small detail about the position. I wish I could hear about it.

Corporate Counsel Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview

I was contacted within a few hours of submitting my resume with a request for a phone interview. I took this as a good sign, but unfortunately the interview was really just a screening, asking a few basic yes or no questions that could have easily been answered by a cursory review of my resume. The screener didn't really seem interested in allowing me to elaborate on how my experience met the question they were asking.

I was told I would receive an update within two weeks or so, but when I followed up approximately 2 weeks later, I was told they were still conducting phone interviews. I asked a follow up question but received a non-answer, at which point I assumed I wasn't seriously under consideration. Approximately 6 weeks after my initial screening, they confirmed my suspicion with a brief email notifying me that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall the exact questions, but the interviewer literally asked me whether I had each of the qualifications listed in the job solicitation.   Answer Question

Translator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America in June 2016.

Interview

After several years of people at Nintendo contacting me on LinkedIn, I finally applied to Nintendo and received a response within a number of hours asking if I could do a first round phone interview with someone from HR.

I had a friendly 45 minute chat with someone from HR and we covered standard stuff such as salary history (which is required on your application anyhow), when I could relocate to Seattle (I said within the month), and they let me know about their relocation packages and overall compensation levels.

We spoke on a Monday and I asked when I they might know about future steps, and the person from HR said a decision would be made by that same Friday.

I didn't hear back from them that week, and so I reached out to the original contact (a separate person from HR) the next Monday restating my interest in the role.

I didn't hear back by the following Monday, so I called the HR contact I spoke with the first time and left a voicemail for him repeating that I was interested and hoped to have the chance to speak soon.

I still didn't hear from a single person at Nintendo another week later (three entire weeks after they said they'd be in touch), and so I sent a final mail to my initial HR contact once again stating my interest and asking if I could be informed at all either way about any news whatsoever.

Here we are over a month after I was supposed to be contacted and I have not heard anything at all. This is a first in my life I have simply been ignored after a company reached out to me and actually decided to conduct an interview.

I find it extremely unprofessional that they would not bother to even send a generic template reply, especially after being asked to apply for years and being told a specific date at which they would get back to me, only to hear NOTHING.

Complete disappointment and I will never speak with them again.

Interview Questions

• Very generic questions whose answers were all contained in my resume   1 Answer

User Experience Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA).

Interview

1 phone screen, 1 in-person interview, relatively straight-forward, but not as systematic/planned as you would expect from other tech companies. The role title is completely misleading as it is a support/PM role (Not a role that one from the UX industry would expect to be). The interviewer said I'll hear back and asked me to wait, but next thing, I got a template reply in a few weeks saying the position is closed. The recruiter in contact didn't call nor send any personal email. This is rude as interviewees invested the time to come meet with you. I'm left with a bad impression of the company and can't imagine who would want to work there.

Assistant Manager, Retail Advertising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redwood Shores, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

1. Phone Interview with the recruiter.
    2. Week later, phone interview with the Director of Retail Marketing.
    3. Week later, in-person with Director and 3 other people on the team at the Nintendo office. All separate one-to-one interviews.
    4. 3 months later, phone interview with Hiring Manager/Senior Manager who was away on leave.
    5. A month later, rejection email from HR.
    6. A couple of months later, role is still listed, but redefined as Assistant Manager, Retail Projects.

Overall, everyone that interviewed me was super nice and I felt comfortable throughout the whole process. It was unfortunate I wasn't able to meet the actual hiring manager during the in-person interviews and it was a long wait between meeting the team and hearing back from HR for the last phone interview. All in all, it was a great experience and I hope I get another opportunity to interview again in the future.

Looks like a great place to work from what I heard and saw from the team.

Interview Questions

• - Why Nintendo?
      - Why do you want to leave your current job?
      - What would your teammates say about you?
      - Share a campaign or project that you were proud of working on
      - Do you feel comfortable working in PowerPoint?
      - What would you say is your biggest strength?
      - What area(s) do you feel you need improvement?
      - How do you react when facing a difficult situation or roadblock?
      - What companies do you feel have a great brand and why?
      - Tell me about yourself.
      Answer Question

Localization Writer/Editor - Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty simple. The pre-interview began with a 2-hour timed writing test that involved localizing some game dialogue (four sets of dialogue from the same game). This took me the full two hours as I made sure everything was as clean as possible and all the parameters were met. I didn't hear anything for a week or two after the writing test, so I sort of assumed the hiring managers had moved on. However, I received an email from the recruiter that they wanted to set up an in-person interview with two of the hiring managers. I spent 15 minutes with a different recruiter (super nice guy who showed me around the campus a little bit, then asked some basic questions). I then met with two of the hiring managers (half an hour each) and they asked me questions about my history, gaming likes, what types of things I think make for good game dialogue, and how I went about the writing test. Nothing too outstanding (and not a single question about my strengths or weaknesses - thank goodness! Who even likes those questions??). It really seemed more like a fluid conversation between two adults getting to know one another. I can tell they are a tight-knit group and they were looking to see if I would fit into that group. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that they were about my age (late 30s/early 40s), unlike what I had heard that they were all young gamers. They were just people - and that was really pretty awesome. I felt very comfortable and they were all very pleasant, kind, and engaged. I knew by the end of the interview that I was not what they were looking for, but I'm glad I had the chance to interview. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and everyone was really great. The recruiter called me later the same day to say they managers were going to pursue other options, but he wanted to see if I would like him to forward my resume onto another recruiter for a full-time benefited position. Yes, please! :) It was a great experience.

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redwood City, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen with an internal recruiter. Then another phone call with the hiring manager and lastly being invited to the office to meet and interview with the team. Overall process was simple and they were very fast at responding. However, after final 1:1 interviews there was never any input even after a follow-up email asking about the status. Left a bad taste that after going to meet with them and spending 4 hours in their office the HR team cannot even be bothered with a "thanks but no thanks" email letting me know that they are not interested. Very disappointing end to what seemed like a great company and working environment.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particular or out of the ordinary. Everyone seemed intent on wanting to know "why Nintendo"?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview

Folks were nice enough, although a bit disorganized. Interview questions were reasonable, but on the easy side. Walked through some real world problems. One interviewer did ask puzzle questions which I thought were passé.

Interview Questions

• One question was how to test a particular system. Goal was to find all issues that had been found in the real world.   Answer Question

Buyer (NES Merchandising NYC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied via LinkedIn. An interview offer was extended via phone. I spoke with Jodi. The interview lasted roughly thirty minutes. The questions were very boilerplate but engaging. I ended the call asking when I should follow up. Jodi emphasized she would let me know whether or not I was hired, that she lets "everyone" know. I never heard from her again.

Interview Questions

• What company culture do you thrive in and how do you expect Nintendo's company culture to be?   1 Answer