Nintendo of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

49 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Phone screen followed by in-person interview with leaders. If you make it that far they invite you back for a 6 hour marathon of panel interviews with every department member. Rejection is sent by email after such a large investment of time in their lengthy process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got email for telephonic call with recruiter. During that call, recruiter started asking technical questions and said he would not move forward. When did recruiters start asking technical questions ?

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

After 3 interviews no more communication and it's been over a month. I send an email to the manager to check in and never heard back. It would have been great to at least gotten a "it's not going to work" email or something or a way to ask what I could have done better to prepare for future interviews.

Interview Questions

• Create a responsive web page in 15 mins   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview

I got a call from their recruiter. I found the person to be unprofessional and cold. He kept digging into why I left my previous employer. Now, I know that you not supposed to bad mouth your previous employer and I didn't have the intention to do so. Therefore, I just mentioned that I had a negative experience working there and it was not a good place for me any more.

This was the first time in my life I had experienced a negative situation at work, so I wasn't really sure how to "surf around it", for I am not a politician who just makes up stories as he goes along, and when a reporter tries to dig in, the politician just ignores it by saying "Thank you, next question." And so the recruiter just kept pushing for details about my departure. I don't have a problem giving details, I just didn't want to.

But he didn't let it go. I wanted to explain that during the 10 years that I've spent at my previous company, I had 7 different bosses (NOT at the same time!!!), but that's how often the managerial seat was "rotated". One of my previous bosses was fired because of ethics violation. At this point he cut me off saying that he is not interested in such details, but at the same time he kept wanting to know why I left my previous employer. Well, it's really confusing when you want to hear details, but at the same time you don't.

The situation was so bad, that 5 out of our 6 people department has left in a 12 month period! One of our female team member broke down in tears (and she was NOT in her 20's!...) because the director had such a nasty, humiliating attitude.

Nevertheless, I did not quit my job even then. Even when everyone was flocking from the office. I try to work out differences with people regardless of their gender, or mood, or personality. But this experience has thought me a lesson, that I will not work with another person who is so rude as she was. (Yes, that was a she.)

A couple of years and a few different bosses later (still at the same company), another woman ended up running the show (with extremely limited experience should I say), with the same detrimental, condescending attitude. After ALL (!!!) the people has left the department because of her attitude, I was still there and was trying to work out the situation.

I could not resolve the issue with HR for our ENTIRE HR department has left in the same month (true story)!!! However, I was able to get hold of our previous HR manager via phone, and tried to ask for advice. In addition, I had a closed door meeting with one of my previous bosses (who was still at the company at that time), who sat in as a sort of "mediator" trying to resolve our differences. In addition, I had a talk with the CFO of the company, who at that time took on the role of the temporary HR personnel until they refilled our HR department. I have also went down to our counseling center (yes, the company had a counseling center on site) trying to ask for help, since this was the second time it happened that due to an incompetent manager with personality problems our department evaporates and no one seems to care.

It was a very frustrating situation. But when the humiliation and degenerative attitude of incompetent people continues, I had no other choice but to quit. I was not willing to tolerate it any longer. I believe I tried to do everything in my power to ask for help in order to remedy the situation. I believe me serving the company for 10 years and having 7 different supervisors (not at the same time!!!) during that timeframe, all of them with different personalities and attitudes (yes, some were actually positive), shows that I don't simply head for the door when bad things happen.

Not to mention, that my last supervisor (or at least she was pretending to be), quit her job 3 months after I left, despite the fact the she was just promoted! (I wonder why did she had to leave so fast...)

So there you go, dear recruiter. Bad things do happen. It's not always the employee's fault. I was hesitant to tell you this on the phone, but you were keep pushing. When I wanted to explain, you did not let me, and instead you cut me off and tried to make me look like I was at fault. VERY unprofessional!

By the way, there are tons of resources, articles and such on the internet about bad bosses (U.S. News and World Report, Psychology Today, LinkedIn, etc). They are probably written for a reason. Granted, this was my first negative experience in my life, but I sure hope it won't happen again.

The recruiter said it will take a couple of days until they will get back to me. Never heard from them.

Thanks for your call!

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your previous employer? ... But why did you leave? ... Can you explain? ... I'm not interested in such details. So can you explain why did you leave?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I sat in conference room and several interviewers came in back to back. All MALE interviewers who all seemed to be very into Nintendo. Also included a facility tour. Felt like facility tour was a test to see how excited I was about Nintendo and the amenities they offer (gym, cafeteria, company store, etc). Did I mention I only met or was interviewed by men?

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got call from a recruiter. I had one phone interview, two in person interviews. First in person interview was with stuffing company and they had 2 people. After the interview, it took 3 weeks to get the result and next interview. Second interview was a group of 3 interviewers. It took 4 days to give me the result.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I couldn't negotiate the salary.

Bilingual Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

applied online-got an e-mail, -a phone interview with HR, a phone interview in Japanese, in-person interview with 3 people.
    The first phone call with HR seemed like a screening. It was very short.
    The second phone interview was about 30 minutes and asked me about my experience and told me about the position. The in-person interview, I realized that I really wanted to work there because they seemed really really nice. They did not give me any difficult or weird questions. It seemed like they really wanted to see if I would fit in.
    in the in-person interview, they man in charge of the first 15 minute interview had a sick day. So I could not hear about the compensation and other small detail about the position. I wish I could hear about it.

APT II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

You have to pass a typing test: 45 wpm+
    You have to pass a Grammar and Punctuation test: 80%+
    You have to pass an in-house bug finding assessment: NDA
    You are panel-style interviewed by 3 Nintendo Of America associates and the process can last from 15 min to 30 min.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.
      Why do you want to work here?
      How would you test the features of the age range setting between the years 1900-2900?
      Do you have any questions for us?   Answer Question

Corporate Counsel Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview

I was contacted within a few hours of submitting my resume with a request for a phone interview. I took this as a good sign, but unfortunately the interview was really just a screening, asking a few basic yes or no questions that could have easily been answered by a cursory review of my resume. The screener didn't really seem interested in allowing me to elaborate on how my experience met the question they were asking.

I was told I would receive an update within two weeks or so, but when I followed up approximately 2 weeks later, I was told they were still conducting phone interviews. I asked a follow up question but received a non-answer, at which point I assumed I wasn't seriously under consideration. Approximately 6 weeks after my initial screening, they confirmed my suspicion with a brief email notifying me that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall the exact questions, but the interviewer literally asked me whether I had each of the qualifications listed in the job solicitation.   Answer Question

Translator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America in June 2016.

Interview

After several years of people at Nintendo contacting me on LinkedIn, I finally applied to Nintendo and received a response within a number of hours asking if I could do a first round phone interview with someone from HR.

I had a friendly 45 minute chat with someone from HR and we covered standard stuff such as salary history (which is required on your application anyhow), when I could relocate to Seattle (I said within the month), and they let me know about their relocation packages and overall compensation levels.

We spoke on a Monday and I asked when I they might know about future steps, and the person from HR said a decision would be made by that same Friday.

I didn't hear back from them that week, and so I reached out to the original contact (a separate person from HR) the next Monday restating my interest in the role.

I didn't hear back by the following Monday, so I called the HR contact I spoke with the first time and left a voicemail for him repeating that I was interested and hoped to have the chance to speak soon.

I still didn't hear from a single person at Nintendo another week later (three entire weeks after they said they'd be in touch), and so I sent a final mail to my initial HR contact once again stating my interest and asking if I could be informed at all either way about any news whatsoever.

Here we are over a month after I was supposed to be contacted and I have not heard anything at all. This is a first in my life I have simply been ignored after a company reached out to me and actually decided to conduct an interview.

I find it extremely unprofessional that they would not bother to even send a generic template reply, especially after being asked to apply for years and being told a specific date at which they would get back to me, only to hear NOTHING.

Complete disappointment and I will never speak with them again.

Interview Questions

• Very generic questions whose answers were all contained in my resume   1 Answer