Nintendo of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.6

Assistant Manager, Retail Advertising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redwood Shores, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

1. Phone Interview with the recruiter.
    2. Week later, phone interview with the Director of Retail Marketing.
    3. Week later, in-person with Director and 3 other people on the team at the Nintendo office. All separate one-to-one interviews.
    4. 3 months later, phone interview with Hiring Manager/Senior Manager who was away on leave.
    5. A month later, rejection email from HR.
    6. A couple of months later, role is still listed, but redefined as Assistant Manager, Retail Projects.

Overall, everyone that interviewed me was super nice and I felt comfortable throughout the whole process. It was unfortunate I wasn't able to meet the actual hiring manager during the in-person interviews and it was a long wait between meeting the team and hearing back from HR for the last phone interview. All in all, it was a great experience and I hope I get another opportunity to interview again in the future.

Looks like a great place to work from what I heard and saw from the team.

Interview Questions

• - Why Nintendo?
      - Why do you want to leave your current job?
      - What would your teammates say about you?
      - Share a campaign or project that you were proud of working on
      - Do you feel comfortable working in PowerPoint?
      - What would you say is your biggest strength?
      - What area(s) do you feel you need improvement?
      - How do you react when facing a difficult situation or roadblock?
      - What companies do you feel have a great brand and why?
      - Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Localization Writer/Editor - Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty simple. The pre-interview began with a 2-hour timed writing test that involved localizing some game dialogue (four sets of dialogue from the same game). This took me the full two hours as I made sure everything was as clean as possible and all the parameters were met. I didn't hear anything for a week or two after the writing test, so I sort of assumed the hiring managers had moved on. However, I received an email from the recruiter that they wanted to set up an in-person interview with two of the hiring managers. I spent 15 minutes with a different recruiter (super nice guy who showed me around the campus a little bit, then asked some basic questions). I then met with two of the hiring managers (half an hour each) and they asked me questions about my history, gaming likes, what types of things I think make for good game dialogue, and how I went about the writing test. Nothing too outstanding (and not a single question about my strengths or weaknesses - thank goodness! Who even likes those questions??). It really seemed more like a fluid conversation between two adults getting to know one another. I can tell they are a tight-knit group and they were looking to see if I would fit into that group. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that they were about my age (late 30s/early 40s), unlike what I had heard that they were all young gamers. They were just people - and that was really pretty awesome. I felt very comfortable and they were all very pleasant, kind, and engaged. I knew by the end of the interview that I was not what they were looking for, but I'm glad I had the chance to interview. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and everyone was really great. The recruiter called me later the same day to say they managers were going to pursue other options, but he wanted to see if I would like him to forward my resume onto another recruiter for a full-time benefited position. Yes, please! :) It was a great experience.

Bilingual Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview went great but after working there I realize that they lied a lot and made it seem like a dream job with openings to move up where in reality there isn't.

Interview Questions

• They asked me some basic network questions which can all be found by doing a simple ipconfig   1 Answer

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redwood City, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen with an internal recruiter. Then another phone call with the hiring manager and lastly being invited to the office to meet and interview with the team. Overall process was simple and they were very fast at responding. However, after final 1:1 interviews there was never any input even after a follow-up email asking about the status. Left a bad taste that after going to meet with them and spending 4 hours in their office the HR team cannot even be bothered with a "thanks but no thanks" email letting me know that they are not interested. Very disappointing end to what seemed like a great company and working environment.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particular or out of the ordinary. Everyone seemed intent on wanting to know "why Nintendo"?   Answer Question

Order Picker Interview

Interview

Since it was a temporary position I only had to attend orientation then come back to fill out everything and do a pee test then I was able to work right away

Negotiation

idk

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sutherlin, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Sutherlin, OR) in October 2014.

Interview

It was all online basic info was asked and then they gave an assessment to.check typing skills and that was it . EASY they gave me a typing assessment that I.was alil worried about but.it worked out great I was better.at it than I.thought . I scored higher than anyone else in the whole class.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nintendo of America.

Interview

Folks were nice enough, although a bit disorganized. Interview questions were reasonable, but on the easy side. Walked through some real world problems. One interviewer did ask puzzle questions which I thought were passé.

Interview Questions

• One question was how to test a particular system. Goal was to find all issues that had been found in the real world.   Answer Question

Buyer (NES Merchandising NYC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied via LinkedIn. An interview offer was extended via phone. I spoke with Jodi. The interview lasted roughly thirty minutes. The questions were very boilerplate but engaging. I ended the call asking when I should follow up. Jodi emphasized she would let me know whether or not I was hired, that she lets "everyone" know. I never heard from her again.

Interview Questions

• What company culture do you thrive in and how do you expect Nintendo's company culture to be?   1 Answer

Aerotek Shipping Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Kirkland, WA).

Interview

Submitted my resume, took a drug test and BAM I had a job. Interview wasn't an interview but rather an orientation. Mass hiring. Background check was also required. Nintendo, being a kid oriented company, doesn't want certain people working for them.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question by far was whether or not I was willing to wake up at like 4:30 AM to get to work every day M-F.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. They told me it was a full time position, benefits and $10.00/hour. I responded with "Awesome, I like money."

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nintendo of America (Redwood City, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

1st call with HR and went over basic questions. 2nd call with Director of the team. Went in for interviews and met with 5 people. Some were tougher and some were more relaxed. Felt like a personality fit test. Had to take a Microsoft Excel and Power Point test and was tough as it was an expert test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered and i countered