Nokia Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nokia Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Nokia (San Diego, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Was contacted the week between Xmas and New Years.Phone interview consisted of speaking with two gentleman. One would have been the s/w team's manager and the other was his boss. This took place right before the New Year weekend. Phone interview went well, at the end of the interview the manager said they normally get together and talk and then tell HR the results of their discussions but, he thought it went so well they wanted me to come for a site visit. and could I possibly be available in the next two weeks. On the day being observed as the national holiday for New Years I received an email asking if I could fly out the following day. In order to show my interest and get it done attitude I said I could do it. I received flight confirmation at 9:30 p.m. that evening along with the itinerary for the interviews. It was required that you submit the answers to an online security questionaire and employment application before the interview. I spent four hours filling this out before the flight. (Note: they want salary history for the last seven years, this is marked as mandatory), addresses of all compainies, the name of your supervisor, the phone number, etc.. The flights they picked required me to take three days off of work. Amongst the many red flags starting to appear was the fact that the interview was less then two hours long. It consisted of talking to the main s/w manager, the two managers I phone interviewed with, and an HR person. (no team members, no tour of the facilities) I arrived at the hotel at 2:00 a.m. and arrived for the interview 10-15 minutes before the start of the interview the next day. After checking in with the frontdesk per the instructions, I waited. Finally, the HR person apologized and asked the status (he had walked by a few times as I was sitting in the lobby, waiting and waiting). I said I had checked in and was waiting for the first interviewer. He acted as if he didn't even know I was supposed to be there and asked if I had a copy of my itinerary. I told him I had it with me in electronic format but, then proceeded to give the names and times of each interviewer on the itinerary from memory, which seemed to impress him. He went searching for gentleman number 1. He came back later and said "well, you were supposed to talk to me second but, why don't we talk now while waiting for gentleman number 1". So, he went through his 15 minute talk and then we talked some more, and talked, and waited, and talked. Finally, he said, "I don't know what happened "gentleman number 1" is never late". (after I got back home and described the interview to a friend he said the one liner that pretty much summed up this whole ordeal; "gee, you would think Nokia would have heard of cell phones and they might have tried calling the guy"). So, the HR person starts walking me back out to the lobby, (to wait) but while on the way the HR person runs into the manager who I had spoken with on the phone a few days earlier. They huddle together for awhile and decide I might as well talk to him. So, we turn around and head back to the interview room, after about 10-15 minutes in strolls "gentleman 1". Since, he's the head of s/w, the attention goes to him, then about ten minutes later, the second gentleman from the phone interview strolls in. Now, there are all three of the gentleman there, about ten minutes later "gentleman 1" leaves. Things wind down and I'm asked if there are any questions. I ask him what if anything might be a concern to him, so I can possibly address it. He says, my lack of mobile phone development experience. I paused and was taken aback because I had asked about this during the phone interview. I brought it up and wanted to make perfectly clear how much mobile development experience I had. It was discussed during the phone interview and was not a problem at that time. I'm thinking to myself, I took three days off of work, flew 1,500 miles, and have been putting up with this disorganized interview and now you tell me this, after we discussed it earlier and it wasn't an issue three days ago. In hindsight maybe I should have said exactly what I was feeling at that time. Maybe, if you are currently not working (as the HR person said was the status of many current candidates) the disrespect I was shown due to their disorganization, would not be a big deal. Maybe, if you are local to the area then wasting an afternoon sitting around the Nokia lobby would not be a big deal. But, I flew 1,500 miles and took three days off of work due to their scheduling. My impression of the two gentleman whom I spoke with (phone interview and in person briefly) are that they would be quite impressive on a personal level. Bright and hard working. But, the disorganized, haphazard method which this was conducted left me feeling disillusioned with Nokia and disrespected.

Interview Questions

• Design a system that would contact a caregiver if an elderly person would be in need of help. Then, would locate from a list of helpers the one closest to the person in need of help.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nokia

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nokia (Bengaluru (India)) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was well managed. First round was technical Face to Face. It was conducted by a team of 2. We were asked to wait after the first round. The entire process was completed in a day

Interview Questions

• Basic questions on Java(Abstract classes, collections), Restful Webservices and Angular JS   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nokia (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a weekend drive. I went through a consultancy firm.
    It was a panel of 3 people
    Had a bad experience. Just wanted to highlight those points here.
    1. Interviewers had lack of knowledge on topic. I had applied for C++ profile.
    There were many questions for that they were expecting the answers which they knew but there can be many possible answers, looks like they mugged up and came.
    They were not even clear that virtual function and virtual class are entirely different concept.
    For many questions they wanted to go deep and at the end they were only getting confused.
    2. My profile clearly mentioned that I have developed tools around I-HSS and not worked directly on I-HSS, and I told them this thing clearly many times but one of the panel was so dumb to understand this thing and kept on asking questions from I-HSS to me.
    3. I have given interviews at many places but never experienced that bad hospitality. The same thing I heard from my friends who went along with me that day. No communication nothing after the interview, they just escorted us out and everyone of us was talking about that. I am really not able to put it in words but that was really strange.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nokia (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in May 2016.

Interview

Only a normal phone interview for normal questions like technical background, your working experiences. Those have been already contained in CV. No too much further questions. I guess this was only a filter stop for the position.

Interview Questions

• Normal questions like "describe yourself", "why you apply for this job".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nokia (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

Phone screening and then multiple rounds with tech leads and managers. It was a horrible experience. They expect you to answer in school essay pattern. It was one of the most unpleasant experiences. They would ask you to tell about any subject that u like...and would grill you on that. They didnot ask me much about my work. I said, I cant remember stuff I dont use on a daily basis...and I can tell what it is..but I cannot explain completely.., they dint like that.

Interview Questions

• I interviewed with NSN (Nokia Solutions Networks). They expect you to give text book answers and in detailed answers. They asked me CSMA/CD protocol...which is very theoretical though I said them that I dont use these at work !!!   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nokia in November 2014.

Interview

It was a scheduled interview. The guy was expecting the answer he knew, and not what we tell. He had least respect, and was attending the calls during the interview!

Interview Questions

• Is SLL palindrome or not? Reverse of words in a string. Virtual function concepts   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Nokia (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

Two Technical + 1 Manager incl tecnical
    Mostly about C basics and C++.. Puzzles and projects.. Mostly people are helping so listen to them and then answer. Linked list, string manipulation and bit operators

Interview Questions

• From 9 9 9 9 u have to form 100, u can do any operation u want   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Espoo (Finland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nokia (Espoo (Finland)) in June 2014.

Interview

Interview Questions

• was contacted first by phone and an interview was scheduled for some weeks after. The interview is with HR people, manager and colleagues - all at the same time. They put me at easy and were really nice and informal. Questions are the usual interview stuff, nothing very challeging. I also had to take some SHL tests online. They got back to me with detailed feedback very soon afterwards.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nokia.

Interview

At first there are two to three phone interviews and afterwards there is an on-site day with several interviews (7 hours). During the on-site day your new team will ask you some questions to get to know you better.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nokia (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

1 round technical interview, 1 design round, 1 hr.

Interview Questions

• design round: 4 files, each size is 500 MB, you have 1 GB RAM, how will u sort all the files data and insert into a new file in a sorted order?

Rectangle is parent class, square is child class. is this relationship correct?
      Answer Question