Nordstrom Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

2.6

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Mainly concerned with hours of availability (due to annual anniversary sale) and my ability to communicate "sell" to customers. They are very selective in summer seasonal work because their anniversary sale is a lot of work- preparing, product knowledge, how to effectively communicate to customers and help them finding outfits, setting up for appointments, how to do phone orders or find items that are not currently offered in stores, setting up for a Nordstrom card.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to sell a product that the mannequin was wearing   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant to Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Brief phone interview and then an in-person interview with the Styling Assistant Manager and Manager. The phone interview was basic and took about 10 minutes. The in-person interview was longer - about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you'd be a good fit for this role? What skills do you have that would contribute to the success of this team? How do you work under pressure? Describe a time you faced a confrontation with a customer and how it was resolved.   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX).

Interview

Application online, brief phone interview, following an in person interview with a manager or assistant manager from the department you will be working at! I was given a tour of the store, and a look around the women's, kids, departments upstairs! It was a great experience! Everyone was so welcoming and nice, it was very exciting! Follow up after the in person interview was very quick too about 2-3 days.

Interview Questions

• Role played how to help/greet a customer who was shopping for a certain event and how we would assist the customer and style her as well as pick out specifically what items would suits their needs!   1 Answer

Makeup Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Filled out the application online, phone interview a few days later, in-person interview the next week with the makeup department manager. It seemed like she didn't care about what I had to say and cut me off without letting me finish my sentence. The interview didn't last very long at all. They also interviewed over a month before the start date, they told me I would hear back either way. I tried to follow up two times but never got a response.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online, responded to a follow-up email from nordstrom careers ("position opening: you might be interested" generic), submitted my resume and called my local store to let them know I had applied. Within the hour, I received an email offering an appointment for a short phone screening. The screening lasted about 10 minutes (nice lady named Kelsey), and accepted an in-person appointment for the next week.

2+ week process, phone and in-person.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Nordstrom   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer   1 Answer
    • Have you ever worked in commission-based sales in the past? How was your experience?   1 Answer
    • What are some concerns, motivators and goals you have about/for this position?   1 Answer
    • What qualities do you think a person in this position should have?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever worked on a competitive team in the past, and are you a competitive person?   1 Answer

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview process was quite long since interviews were staggered so far apart, took about a month to get hired. First interview was a phone interview, then a TalentPlus questionnaire (which was so long, thank god it was online and not on phone), and then an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to word at Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you encountered a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty quick. Once you are hired there is an orientation where they sell you on how great it is going too be to work for them and a bunch of other stuff everyone who works there seems to forget once they are actually employed with the company.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to list every makeup product I had used on my face that day....   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was really good. I was interviewed by two different department managers. The first interview was short; just a few basic questions about my resume etc. The second interview was slightly more in depth, mostly competency questions and included a short sales role play. I was then called a few days later to be offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Talk a bout a time when you dealt with a difficult customer. How did you handle this?   Answer Question
    • Role play: sell me this pen, details are up to you and optional.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

I met with HR first, then I met with the entire store manager, then I met with my department manager. The department manager and I sat out in the cafe and talked for close to an hour. She brought me by the department in which I would be working to introduce me to the people I would be working with, then told me she would call me as soon as they're done with my background check.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

Interview

I originally applied for a Handbags Position, which they told me was no longer available when I showed up for the interview. I was then given the option to interview/be hired for two other departments. The interview was in a closed off room at a table with one manger. I was offered the position about three days after the interview. Overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a difficult encounter with a customer, what did you do in that situation?   1 Answer