Nordstrom Beauty Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.5

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Happy Valley, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Happy Valley, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

They had me schedule a phone interview using an online app and then when they called all they asked was "What is your availability?" I was then called in for an in person interview that afternoon (my other option was to wait an entire month). At the interview I was told I would recieve a call about a job and I did.

Interview Questions

• Why Nordstrom?   1 Answer
  • Think of your favorite product and tell me why you love it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2017.

Interview

Most of the questions were pretty general for an interview process things about how you would deal when it's slow how you would keep customers , if I ever had experience leading a team, the only question that I would say kind of stumped me was they asked what I could teach them and I wanted to be diplomatic about it but that was kind of a tough question most of the other questions were just general one negative thing was that the lady that called me and said would meet with me sent me to someone else so I didn't get to meet the person I thought I was going to interview with, and then when they called to tell me they hired a different candidate that was a better fit for the company it was neither of those ladies, so I thought that was that was a bit cowardly on their part, I'm a beautiful woman I have the credentials I have the demeanor and I felt rocked the interview but I may not be a good fit for them because I am a worldly woman I have World travels and I have experience with many cultures and many languages I speak many languages, so perhaps I was intimidating I think a 20 year old that's hiring me when I'm in my fifties is a bit silly, just my feminine intuition and my two cents for what it's worth. Another thing is that this particular Nordstrom is in the middle of a transition the lady that I was supposed to meet with didn't meet with me and then they said she was transferring out of Cosmetics into jewelry so I think they're going through a whole big transition right now and it's a bit unorganized, with that being said they were kind and respectful and appropriate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nordstrom (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied on line and received an email to schedule a phone call interview. They do have a 3hr window from the time that you schedule. Questions sounded very general and standard for every candidate. At the end of the interview they let me know that they would not be proceeding with me and it was over.
    The lady on the phone was nice but it does seem like this is what they do all day and their answers are very standard.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (New York, NY).

Interview

I got a phone call from Nordstrom cosmetic department, got an interview with department manager first, if you pass the interview you move on to the interview with the account executive, then interview with the counter manager.

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Costa Mesa, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Heard back in 4 days to come in the next day for an interview. The interview was in person with an Assistant Department Manager. Since i am applying for cosmetics she said that i would hear back from the brand i applied for and wished me luck. 4 days later i interviewed with the brand executive and got the job offer 2 days after.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job if you love your job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (White Plains, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I gave my application to a sales associate who encouraged me to apply online the same day, which I did. I received an email inviting me to schedule a phone interview.

After the phone interview, I had an in-person interview at Nordstrom with an assistant manager. She then introduced me to the store manager, who sat down with me briefly to ask "Why Nordstrom?" There will be at least one more interview, and I'm waiting to hear back.

I understand it's a sales position, but the "Sell me this pen" gig is unpleasant to go through.

Interview Questions

• Role playing: If I'm a customer looking at two products in different price ranges, sell me the more expensive product.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (King of Prussia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

I first applied on nordstrom.com for the mac on call position where in a couple of days i received an email stating i would have a phone interview and to choose the time. The phone interview was fairly short about10 minutes. She asked basic questions. How would you handle an irate customer, Name a time when you showed great customer service. After that she stated she liked my answers and was going to send me on an interview with the Nordstrom cosmetic department manager in the next three days. When i showed up to the second interview it was about 4 other girls there and they called us in 1 by 1. My interview with the cosmetic manager was fairly basic she asked a lot of customer service questions about Nordstrom. She then said i would have a demo interview and to wait for her call to set it up. Well 2 weeks went by and after two left messages, she finally got back to me and said she apologized because it was the holidays it was so busy and someone from mac should be calling me letting me know of my demo interview, 2 days later the mac cosmetic manager called me and said literally" Hi your interview is on wednesday please bring a model" Thats it. She didn't say whether to bring makeup brushes or not but i brought them just in case. When i showed up to the Nordstrom store i went to the counter and was told that no body was suppose to be doing a demo today and suggested that i was suppose to go to a job fair. I said uh no never was told that and she called the department manager who said my interview was actually at the mac pro store right outside of nordstrom. So i went over there where i was greeted by the manager and employees who were SUPER SWEET! This is where i LUCKED OUT. She said i had 30 minutes to give my model whatever look she wanted and she supplied me with brushes. Talk About EASY! i had been practicing my models face for days so i was prepared but SOO nervous. As i was gathering my products this on employee came to me and gave me so much advice on what to pull for skin care SHES A GOD SEND. So after i got everything i started sanitizing and noticed the manager said she would be in and out so when i noticed she wasn't there i didn't really pay it any mind. I got started on my model and the girl who was helping me ran to me and said OH NO don't start yet take the makeup off before the manager comes off. of course the manager came out lol but was super cool. So i got started and when i tell you it was the LONGEST 30 minutes of my life, i swore she gave me longer until i looked at my watch. As soon as i was finished i noticed i didn't grab any blush but used my lid eyeshadow color as blush and my crease color as blush. She loved that i did that. Also i thought i grabbed chestnut liner but it was CURRANT , i was so irritated. So when i was done she gave me critiques and said she loved it . Now was for the face to face interview. we met in the back and she asked if i had any copies of my resume since she was filing in because nordstrom didn't have a counter manager for their mac. So she glanced it over and asked me ONE question. When have you led a team. That was it . Then she said do you have any questions for me where our conversation developed from there. She said to stop by when ever i come back and i didn't know if she meant as an Employee or customer. Well two weeks later i got the call for the On call position and start after the new years AMAZEBALLS. My mac experience was like NONE other that i have read especially because ei wasn't asked ANY questions about mac at any point of my interview but it was super chill.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

First I applied online. Then they sent me an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was quick. They asked basic retail questions like "tell me of a time a customer was unhappy and how did you handle it" and a few other questions. Then if you pass they send you an email to schedule an in person interview. I applied for The Grove location. The lady who interviews me was really nice. You have to go up the elevator then make a left and sit in the bench next to the bathroom. NOTE:dress the part according to the cosmetic brand you're applying to. In the phone interview the tell you to dress business professional but don't if you're applying for Mac. Look like you already work at MAC, Armani, etc.

Interview Questions

• If sales were slow that day what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked in a job where you had to meet a sales goal?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working in a fast paced environment   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about not just growing with the make up company, but with nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • If the store was empty what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Columbus, OH) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online for a full time position with Bobbi Brown and took survey, received an email the next day asking for a phone interview. I passed the phone interview and then I went in for the face to face. The face to face was with the department manager. It was a guy and he was really hard to read. Throughout the interview I was getting the feeling as if he wasn't interested. Which was the case... I got a call the following week thanking me for my time but they chose another candidate.

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Troy, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

After filling out the online application i received an email to set up a telephone interview, after the telephone interview I was set up for an in person interview. After that, I waited 1 week for the in person interview and by the time I got there, the position i applied for was filled, then I waited 2 more weeks after the initial interview and the other position that I would have taken was gone as well, so I was offered an "on call" position which is all that was left. I accepted as an opportunity to get my foot in the door until something better opens up since they really believe in promoting from within.