Nordstrom Commissioned Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nordstrom Commissioned Sales Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Nordstrom

2.5

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

If your application is accepted there will be a phone interview, which will last anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Once you make it past that step there will be an in person interview, and finally the decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Scenario: Sell me these beach sunglasses even though I am from Alaska   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Applied online and about a month later I received a call for an interview. 1st was a phone interview with the HR manager of that specific store location. Then a in person interview with the same HR manager. Hiring and interview process moved swiftly. I interviewed with the men's furnishing and men's designer dept. managers the same day. Then the next day I interviewed with the store manager.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty basic. "Tell me about yourself?" "Describe some difficult situations in a selling environment?" "Where do you see yourself working within the dept store?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. Base pay plus commission. Different comm. for different depts.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by multiple managers for nearly an hour. Asked pretty typical interview questions, nothing too confusing. Review other common interview questions for preparation. When I interviewed, Nordstrom brought in quite a large group of individuals whom took turns switching from table to table of managers for mini interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why Nordstrom?
      Sell me this... (and then they proceeded to hand me a random item)   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, you get paid min wage + commission.

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Bloomington, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online, and a day later I got a voicemail in which I was offered a phone interview. The phone interview was a pretty standard one, it seemed like a way to weed out non-serious applicants and weirdos. I completed the phone interview that night, and had an in-person interview the next morning. I was offered the job by phone, just four hours after my in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an angry or upset customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation process. The pay is 100% commission.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom in September 2013.

Interview

I applied online on Nordstrom's website. I recieved a call from HR the next day and had a short phone interview that lasted about 5 minutes. She asked me basic questions such as "Why do I want to work at Nordstrom?" and scheduled an in person interview with the manager of the department I applied to. I met with the manager and she wanted me to come in again to meet the store manager. After I did, she offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to (department's name)? How long do you see yourself apart of this company? What influences your personal style?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, it's commission based.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online as a joke, just to see if I was even qualified. I have 1 and 1/2 years of retail experience so I went for it. I got an email confirming they got my application, and then I got an email a couple hours later saying they were interested in me and to set up a phone interview! I was so excited, I setup an interview for the next week when I had a day off from my current job. I chose for 10 AM and they didnt call me till 12:05! I was actually discouraged, but when I got on the phone, I sold it and she loved me! (i wish i knew her name) So then she asked if I could come in for a face to face interview in about 3 days. I said sure! I then got a call an hour later asking if I come in the next day for an interview! I said of course, told my current job I'd be late. I went in for a face to face and I was NERVOUS, i got there 15 minutes early, as they ask on the phone. Dress professionally, both the interviewers loved my outfit. SO i get to the questions and its basically a personality test and to see how well you are going to do with commission. When was a time you didn't meet a goal and what did you do to fix it? Are you competitive, when were you competitive? How did you work with a group to make a goal? Generic retail questions. I sold it, they loved everything I was saying and were extremely sweet and relaxed with me. We got off topic a little, but the last part was to pick an outfit for my interviewer and I did cruddy hahaha. But i BS'd it and gave her options and explained what acc/shoes/makeup I would do with it and they liked that. That was done (that was the worst part but have fun and give options. its hard to pick good things on the spot) we went back upstairs and they offered me the job right on the spot! Simple, straightforward, sell yourself!

Interview Questions

• How do you encourage your coworkers to maintain the level of professionalism that you have?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Denver, CO) in August 2012.

Interview

The interviewing process was very detailed and thorough. They asked about teamwork, self-motivation and understanding retail math. The interviewer asked if I understood commissioned sales and whether or not I had ever been paid by commission. I was also asked to list competitors and describe how Nordstrom outshines its competitors.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Applied on line. Not even 2 hours later received an email asking me to set up a phone interview. Scheduled phone interview for next morning. The man who called was extremely pleasant and it was done in 5 minutes. He asked to set up a one-on-one interview in the store. We scheduled for 2 days later. Interviewed with both the department manager and assistant department manager, both of which were very friendly. Received a call 2 hours later offering the position.

Interview Questions

• All questions were typical customer service "what would you do in this situation". Walk the sales floor and do a "selling activity" to pick an outfit for a given situation. Very simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not need to negotiate. Base pay is fair but this is a commissioned based position, the more you sell, the more you make.

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

contacted via email , had a phone interview then 1 in person interview , the first part was with the HR manager the second part was with the department manager

Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (West Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed back asking to complete additional information and another to attend a hiring event. At the hiring event all applicants and hiring managers introduced themselves, then managers took their prospective applicants to the floor for interviews.