Nordstrom Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 14, 2018

2.7

54 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Bloomington, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online after being referred by two employees
My application was pulled and I was called to schedule an in person interview
After my interview, they scheduled a technique interview (this was for MAC)
Three days later I had my techno interview, and I was offered the job the same day

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Fort Worth, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I put in an online application one evening and the very next day got an email to set up a phone interview. Did phone interview and was asked to come in for an interview in exactly two weeks.
    Fast forward two weeks, I get there and the lady interviewing me wasn't friendly at all. She was quick and to the point, which is understandable, but at the same time, I want to feel comfortable In a workplace. Anyways, the interview was going well until she asked my availability and I let her know that I work in a spa on weekends and that I would need notice to work Friday and Saturdays so that I could get someone to cover for me at the spa I work at. She let me know that she would need me every Saturday and that it wasn't an option to miss. I feel like my time was wasted, since I stated this over the phone interview. The interview was very rushed and overall it was just an uncomfortable experience. It's a bummer because I was really hoping to work for this company since I feel like I could be a great asset here.

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

Interview

They asked me why I wanted to work for them. They asked what I can bring to the table and what sets me apart from the other applicants. They told me they would call me if I made it and I'm still waiting. Most difficult question was what are my weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• What would I do to make sure a customer leaves happy   1 Answer

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Personality Tests online, two phone interviews, interview with someone from personnel, then offer to interview with Department manger, Then joint interview with Department Manager and vendor, Department manager/vendor/counter manager interview.

This was a very extensive hiring process, yet there are still some employees that have no idea what they are doing!

Interview Questions

• What would you do if everything you have tried to do for the customer does not calm them down and the customer remains upset?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lonetree, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Lonetree, CO) in June 2014.

Interview

Don't get too excited. No matter having years of experience and an actual license unlike many who apply for these jobs, or even the women who work at the counters... they do most of their hiring from within.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Nashville, TN) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied online to become a cosmetics and fragrances sales associate. About 30 minutes later, received a phone call from store's recruiter. During the call I completed a phone interview and was informed that I was selected for an interview which will be scheduled two days later. My 1:1 interview consisted of meeting with the department manager as well as assistant manager, tour of the department, and completing an IQ/Intelligence test. During the interview the department manager stated that with my prior work experience and education I should consider the cosmetics counter manager position. We then discussed the job duties as well as qualifications required of a cosmetic counter manager. I also provided both managers my preferences of the cosmetics I would like to sell if hired.

I was informed shortly after the 1:1 interview that if selected as a potential candidate I would be receiving a call/email from the account executive of the product I selected to sell if hired. About 4 days later I received a call from the account executive to schedule a interview with her. Unfortunately she couldn't attend due to an illness and it was postpone to the next day. She couldn't attend that day as well however she did call me to conduct a phone interview. Her first and only question was why her company. I answered honestly by stating my business goals and reiterating my work experiences. She loved my answer and stated that I was what her company needs as well as a "breath of fresh air". She informed me that she would send her recommendation via email to the store manager. Two days later I received a call from the department manager with an offer for the cosmetics counter manager and I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a sales environment that requires you to meet daily as well as monthly sales quotas?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was content with the base salary and commission. Therefore no negotiation was needed.

Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Orem, UT) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview was pretty easy. I interviewed 1:1 with the Human Resource Manager and he directly took me to interview with the Costmetics/Fragrance Manager. After sitting down in her office and talking about my past experience in other areas, she offered me a job on the spot. I also interviewed with the manager from Hosiery.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in May 2009.

Interview

Very long process, interviewed by many people. Training was excellent. Very long process, interviewed by many people. Training was excellent. Very long process, interviewed by many people. Training was excellent. Very long process, interviewed by many people. Training was excellent. Very long process, interviewed by many people. Training was excellent.

Interview Questions

• Recall one exceptional story of customer service that you've performed:   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Saint Louis, MO) in August 2011.

Interview

I applied for Cosmetics Sales, but ended up having my 1:1 in Handbags. The store isn't open yet, so the process is taking longer. My 1:1 had many of the same questions as my phone interview did, with a few more about teamwork and leadeship added to the mix.
    My interview with the HB manager went very well, and she informed me that she is in need of a Design Lead and gave me details on what that would entail and how to show my interest. We discussed the job, the pay, and how the scheduling is managed. She informed me that I would hear back from her by the end of the following week, so now I must wait.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if you are unfamiliar with a product?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Columbus, OH) in May 2011.

Interview

I submitted an online application, was directed to a 30 min or so personality test, that consisted of alot of the same questions reworded, ( ie. Are you a team player, are you friendly, Multitasker ect. ) Then e mailed to schedule a phone interview, 4 days later I had a very short phone interview, they asked the standard "why nordstrom?" " tell me about the most diffucult customer service problem you have had?" " tell me about a time a co worker was doing something they should not?" " how do you feel about commission sales?" I guess I didn't do all that well, they said they had other applicants to review and would get back to me, It's been a week and I have not heard from them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a goal you set for yourself and failed to meet?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the worst customer service problem you have had? how did you handle it? and what was the outcome?   Answer Question