Nordstrom Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 21, 2016

2.4

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone interview about 3 days later. Proceeded with inperson interview. The final part of the interview I had pitch on how to see a product. I thought it had went well. Had another phone interview afterward to see if I was a good fit. Received a call after hours to see if I can interview the next day. Called HR and left voicemail advising I am extremely interested but unable to meet that day due to the late notice..less than 24 hours... I never heard back again.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Miami, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online through the Nordstrom Careers website. After two days I received an email asking me to select a time for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 10 minutes during which I was asked basic customer service questions. I then attended an in-person interview at the store that lasted about a half hour.

Interview Questions

• If you didn't meet your sales goals for the month, what would you do? Do you have any experience applying makeup to others?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

The initial process was simple. I applied online and got an email to set up a phone interview the very next day. I had an easy phone interview, and I was sent to go interview at the store. The interview at the store was not what I had envisioned. It was a group interview. It was wasn't even related to a counter manager positon, but a seasonal position. I was very disappointed with the interview process. I had a gut feeling that I wasn't what they were looking for, at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Wellington, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

Had phone interview then scheduled for store interview. Applied for Chanel counter manager to find out when I got there the position was already filled. Interviewed for Bobbi Brown. Dept manager never introduced herself to me. Thought she worked in HR. She looked like just out of college and had no prior cosmetics experience. This is who interviews and a department Mgr.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Boca Raton, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

Met with Diana Nieto at Boca Raton. All she kept telling me was that I would be wonderful at the Estee counter (I went in for NARS). Repeatedly told me I would be fabulous and fantastic at Estee. On the way out we ran into her manager, Phillip, who she introduced me to. Pompous and arrogant and stood there and asked me questions, never taking a few minutes to go privately with me somewhere. Obviously he had his mind made up that he didn't want me right then. I emailed Diana three emails that week before she responded and said, "Oh, we haven't forgotten about you! We are waiting for vendor to contact us before proceeding". A few days later I get a call from a lady (NOT Diana). I could barely understand her "english" but she said, "we won't be going forward with this but thank you so much". Perhaps Diana shouldn't have been so sure about me being "perfect", "wonderful" and "fabulous" before her arrogant manager saw me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in cosmetics?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Wauwatosa, WI) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got an invite via email for an interview. It said it would be a group interview in the email so thats exactly what I expected. I arrived and noticed everyone was dressed very professionally ( thank goodness I was too!) There were a few people who looked like they were interviewing for Wal-Mart and I can tell you thats a huge no no. When I walked into the room there were about 30 other candidates. I was completely shocked. I was offered a seat and the Store Manager began telling us about the company. Afterwards we watched a video about Nordstrom. After all this we were told that a handful of people would call out a name and they would interview you right where you sat ( awkward). Anyone interviewing for a cosmetics position were going to have to wait until the end. Apparently the end meant 2 hours later. How awful! Me and about 15 other women sat in this room for 2 hours waiting to get interviewed. Many were worried because they had somewhere else to be. Finally they got to me after a 3rd hour and my interview last about 10 minutes. I WILL say that this was for a Store Opening event so they were doing mass hiring events. So this experience will probably not happen to you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. They made a great offer and I accepted!

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview process started with a phone interview that lasted maybe five minutes. You should know how to answer the basic customer service questions. I was immediately asked to come in for an in person interview at the store the following week. After waiting maybe 30-45 minutes I interviewed with one of the assistant managers for the cosmetics department. He was really nice and was really interested in me. I had no idea that you had to have artistry experience to work the cosmetics counter ( wasn't listed in the job description) so he unfortunately couldn't offer me a position. He said he'd pass me along to another department and I'd hear back within a week. He actually did pass me along to another department that was hiring and I met with another manager a few days later. During both interviews the process was the same- tell me about yourself, what would you do if... Tell me about a time... Sell me this... the selling part was really fun because after "selling" an item to the manager I asked if she would be paying with her nordstrom card which caught her off guard in a good way. The the interview was on a Friday, she said I'd here back by Monday. EOD Monday she called me and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Walnut Creek, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very easy interview. First with HR and the with the department manager. Depending on the brand you are applying for, you may have to interview with the account executive. If you are looking to be a BOC or stylist, no need to interview with the AE.

Interview Questions

• Simple questions such as "How will you drive business?" "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peabody, MA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Peabody, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Something that bothered me before going into the interview: There were about 5 counter manager positions open at this location. Hiring process consisted of 3 interviews and took about a week. First interview was from corporate asking generic retail questions: how did you deal with a difficult customer? How do you feel about working weekends? How do you manage others? Second interview was in store. At this interview I was disappointed at Nordstrom's sense of professionalism. I interviewed with the shoe department manager. In the middle of the interview she walked out because she didn't know what questions to ask. After talking for about 1/2 hr & her taking notes she took me to the cosmetic department to find a cosmetic employee to have role play customer shopping for makeup & I would sell her something. I basically sold her a full face w/ a luxurious skincare regiment. At this point as I was being interviewed I would see 8 of the department employees in a circle watching the whole thing take place. I didn't pay any mind/attention but what are they doing just hanging out like that? Interview number 3 was with the Executive of the brand. She was 35 min late but was very nice. We chatted about everything & anything. She was very impressed with my energy, dedication & goal oriented personality. She basically told me I got the job. I shook her hand firmly & went home. 20 minutes later I got a phone call from the cosmetic department manager offering me (7+ years of cosmetic retail experience) $18/hr to manage a super high end counter. I was shocked at how low the amount was. I politely declined letting her know that I wouldn't take anything under what I stated in my application & to keep me in mind when a better suited position comes up.

Interview Questions

$18/hr to manage a luxurious cosmetic counter is a joke. Do not try to fluff things up with "gratis." Gratis does not pay the bills. I am disappointed because I genuinely love the brand & would have done a wonderful job generation business to it. Also -- as I was being interviewed I interviewed Nordstrom work environment: do I want to work in a place where 5 ppl just left at the same time? Do I want to work at a place where girls huddle, chat & giggle as someone is being interviewed? Overall it did not seem like a very professional environment.

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Norfolk, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and had a phone interview a few days later. Phone interview was short and sweet and I was asked in for a group one on one interview a week later. At the one on one interview we were all divided into our individual rooms by the person heading the department interviewing for. A week later got a call I'd be hearing from the vendor for an interview with them. The following week heard from the vendor but did not have an interview she just went over what I'd expect once I started. The following day (today) got a call back from Nordstrom offering me a position with them.

Interview Questions

• general interview questions. give an example of an angry customer and what you did to calm them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't really negotiate salary I just really want a job been looking in my area over a year now I took the first offer I got :-)