Nordstrom Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nordstrom Department Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Nordstrom

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Portland, OR) in May 2013.

Interview

I participated in a Phone interview after applying online after suggestion from Regional Manager, then a wait to hear back that lasted two days, started the following week in new position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2011.

Interview

It was a good experience. I like the casual feeling of the atmosphere. It didn't feel forced. The people conducting the interview made you feel very welcomed. All questions about the position and the history of the company were answered appropriately.
    I left feeling good about the process and most importantly about the position in the company.

Interview Questions

• Where do I see myself in 5 years   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Apply online and HR or the Store Manager will reach out to you to set up an interview. There will be a phone interview and an in-person interview. However, if the store manager needs to hire quickly (during holiday seasons), it may just be a phone interview, so be prepared to give your best at any time.

Interview Questions

• They give you some specifics about the department and ask how you will deal with it. For example, This floor has a million dollar seller, how will you meet their needs while still holding them accountable for tasks on the floor?   Answer Question
    • This department has seen a decrease in (specific department number), what will you do to change that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (King of Prussia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

Typical retail interview. Ask strengths and weaknesses. Retail math. Phone screen with HR and then in person with manager of department you applied for. Sales drill given at end of interview. Store tour and meet with store manager and HR manager in person

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2012.

Interview

very short if they arent even interested in you. Usually store managers hire managers from other stores that they have history with and not on your experience and what you could bring to the department.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

Met with team leads and hiring manager for sit down interview. Largely behavioral based questions. Interviewers were friendly and the environment was very comfortable. I was also introduced and has short meetings with other managers I would be working with. Entire process from initial phone interview to offer was approximately two weeks. Overall a very positive experience that I would suggest to others.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a difficult direct report you've had to deal with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Atlanta, GA) in August 2012.

Interview

phone interview then in person with HR, and Store manager. you also get a tour of the store and meet people around the store. everyone is very nice and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for them? how are you a good fit? list examples of leadership? all generic questions   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Nordstrom is known for promoting from within, which is why interviewing for a department manager is a different experience every single time. I was promoted from within my store and already had rapport with my store manager, so I literally expressed my interested then applied online. I was job offered a few days later.

From outside of a store / region, however, the process is a bit different. Normally, you would interview with the regional for that division, then the store manager.

Interview Questions

• Since I never went through a formal interview there was nothing to throw me off.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negotiate. However, I did not. Normally there is very little room to budge with salary.

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Edison, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

Hired over the phone. No formal interview. They checked my references and spoke to my current department manager, store manager and regional manager and offered me the job that same day.

Interview Questions

• What is is your biggest opportunity (what can you work on)?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

apply online. Taleo system is used to sort applicants. HR does first interview. If applicable Department Manager does 2nd interview. Background checks are performed. Offer made by Department Manger, HR does notifies rejections.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There are no negotiations.