Nordstrom Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2017

2.6

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2016.

Interview

I recieves the call to come in for an interview after applying two days prior. (They were desperate) I went in, I saw the department, I saw how the workers looked so miserable, I saw how the store was unorganized, small, and disarray ... I walked out mid interview 🖕🏽

Interview Questions

• They asked me what are my weaknesses and what do I see them as such.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Apply online and HR or the Store Manager will reach out to you to set up an interview. There will be a phone interview and an in-person interview. However, if the store manager needs to hire quickly (during holiday seasons), it may just be a phone interview, so be prepared to give your best at any time.

Interview Questions

• They give you some specifics about the department and ask how you will deal with it. For example, This floor has a million dollar seller, how will you meet their needs while still holding them accountable for tasks on the floor?   Answer Question
    • This department has seen a decrease in (specific department number), what will you do to change that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (King of Prussia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

Typical retail interview. Ask strengths and weaknesses. Retail math. Phone screen with HR and then in person with manager of department you applied for. Sales drill given at end of interview. Store tour and meet with store manager and HR manager in person

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

one interview with the store manager. This was as transfer from one store to another so the interview process was a bit easier than most. As long as your confident that you knowledge and experience necessary for running a department and show that you know what you are doing you will pass the interview easily.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

negotiated salary

Department Manager Interview

Interview

You need to love customer service. Our company has a tradition of an outside of the box to please our customers, be sure which position you want to work, be passionate and honest

Interview Questions

• all the questions are pretty simple, be honest at all times   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

apply online. Taleo system is used to sort applicants. HR does first interview. If applicable Department Manager does 2nd interview. Background checks are performed. Offer made by Department Manger, HR does notifies rejections.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There are no negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (San Mateo, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Its a pretty much meet and greet with the store manager. They already have an idea if they are going to hire you or not based on what the RM said about you. They don't go for the best candidate, best candidate is the one that they will get along with most.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Phone screening with recruiter. Following week interview with regional manager and Head Chef and after that another interview with a GM. The total interview process took 30 days.

Interview Questions

• Both in person interviews were very professional but not with a lot of Q&A, but more like a conversation about past experiences in the field. Maybe the most unexpected question was what is favorite restaurant to eat and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Edison, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

Hired over the phone. No formal interview. They checked my references and spoke to my current department manager, store manager and regional manager and offered me the job that same day.

Interview Questions

• What is is your biggest opportunity (what can you work on)?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Nordstrom is known for promoting from within, which is why interviewing for a department manager is a different experience every single time. I was promoted from within my store and already had rapport with my store manager, so I literally expressed my interested then applied online. I was job offered a few days later.

From outside of a store / region, however, the process is a bit different. Normally, you would interview with the regional for that division, then the store manager.

Interview Questions

• Since I never went through a formal interview there was nothing to throw me off.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negotiate. However, I did not. Normally there is very little room to budge with salary.