Nordstrom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nordstrom Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 people. The questions were really straight forward. The HR assistant did the normal interview type questions. It took around 30 minutes. for the last 15ish minutes, i met the sales manager and had to sell a dress and describe how i would treat customers

Interview Questions

• *took me to the store floor and was told to pick out anything* Had to sell the outfit to the sales manager   Answer Question

Retail Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Started with a phone interview and then they called me in for a one on one interview with the manager. It was a very relaxed and easy interview process overall.

Cosmetics Beauty Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Arlington, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Initially applied online. Was emailed to set up a phoner. During Phone Interview: Called a little less than an hour after my set time. (They do tell you that they have a 2-hour window from whatever hour you set for your appointment to actually call. So if you set it for 10AM, they have until 12PM to actually call.) That Went well. Took less than 10 minutes, and that was because my answers were long. She asked me three questions. Then she asked me to look out for an email instructing me to electronically sign an application and give additional information. She also scheduled my in-person interview for three days later. (This coming Monday. Today is Friday.)

Interview Questions

• Why Nordstrom?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a difficult customer and how you handled the situation   1 Answer
    • Do you compete?   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

applied online without reference, got a call from a recruiter and set up a phone call with the hiring manager. After the initial phone screen, mostly basic PM question, they invited me for a 5 person interview loop. The recruiter was awesome, always kept me in the loops, scheduled interview and followed up with me in a regular interval. Coming back from Microsoft at 9+ years the interview felt very easy. I also felt the interviewer felt a bit threatened since I felt I am overqualified for their version of Sr. Program Mgr role and expectation, hence they passed me stating it is not a good fit. If I had toned down my experiences and achievements and lowered it, I would have got the offer. I learned that Nordstorm is all about NON-A type personalities, I may have sounded too aggressive to get things done and they didn't like it and avoided it. The work seems pretty slow paced in the IT side, doesn't look like they are looking to change much.

Interview Questions

• They had couple of Coding questions, not too hard, the Tech PM was asking the question, seems is not too much knowledgeable about Runtime analysis of the algorithm, he had basic understanding off coding, but wanted to show off and then backed down later on.   1 Answer

MAC Counter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Met outside the event room then a lady came to get us and take us to a waiting area then called us in one by one. Did not get the position unfortunately, once I sat down and introduced myself and told them about me they started informing me since I do not have any sales experience they don't believe cosmetics would be a good start for me they asked if I would mind working in apparel or a barista position since I do have a lot of experience with that, I said it was fine but inside I was soooooooo disappointed but I was glad that they informed me right away so they didn't lead me on, but they were saying that they loved my energy and personality but they didn't want to set me up for failure and that once I gain sales experience from either department that later I can switch to cosmetics.
    My advice to other people who want to work in cosmetics in the BAY AREA apply at Macy's first or sephora or ulta to gain that sales experience. I feel like before I even stepped in the room they had already made the decision not to hire me based upon my lack of sales experience they didn't even ask me any sales questions or any basic interview questions that are posted on here it was like once I finished speaking they let me down gently, which I understand since it is a upscale store in a upscale mall and they want the best of the best. I kind of just wish that the recruiter would've known that so I didn't have to call off work to go to this interview that I had no chance at.
    The managers that "interviewed" me were very nice and friendly and came off very genuine.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Newport Beach, CA).

Interview

i have a applied twice. the first time i was declined offer after the phone interview. the second time i applied online then scheduled a phone call. (took about a week) i was then offered a in person meeting that i later declined because of another job offer. the second interview was way quicker/easier, probably because it was for a seasonal position

Interview Questions

• describe a time you handled a difficult situation with a customer   Answer Question

HQ - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online and a phone screen was arranged. I believe it was your typical recruiter phone screen with information about Nordstrom as as well as information about my past experience.

I believe I was then arranged to have a phone screen with my potential supervisor. They had more technical questions regarding tools, data, more exact questions about experience, and scenario-based questions. The usual.

I was then invited in for a series of 4 or 5 interviews, each lasting about 45 minutes to 1 hour or so, if I recall correctly.

It was fine, basically they repeated questions from the phone screen with my potential supervisor but with switched up answers more centered on the particular employee I was talking with and I got more specific with my potential supervisor regarding particular questions and we dove a bit deeper.

In general, I wasn't very impressed with most of the team there. Maybe it was just a culture thing or a Seattle Freeze thing. I dunno. I left with a bad taste in my mouth and wasn't really hoping to get the job towards the end.

Interview Questions

• What's an example of a campaign that went astray? How did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter. Didn't talk with her till one month later. Phone interviewed by manager and a couple of devs. On the phone interview, the manager didn't talk much and devs were asking some tech questions. At the end, the manager hinted that unfortunately he was looking for a senior engineer who can guide and lead. I thought I'd just move on. However, later on I was scheduled for an on-site interview for a few rounds. After lunch, a senior engineer interviewed me with a list of questions even without a copy of my resume, and he said it should be a stress free interview. (What does that mean? ) A couple of engineers didn't have a copy of my resume at all. After each round, the manager huddled with the interviewers in a separate room. At the end of the day, the recruiter and the manager came in and asked if I had any questions. After a few minutes, the manager shook my hand and said thanks for coming in. I left right away with the recruiter. I felt I must have been interviewed as a filler. It happened before with other employers from what I heard.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2017.

Interview

Most of the questions were pretty general for an interview process things about how you would deal when it's slow how you would keep customers , if I ever had experience leading a team, the only question that I would say kind of stumped me was they asked what I could teach them and I wanted to be diplomatic about it but that was kind of a tough question most of the other questions were just general one negative thing was that the lady that called me and said would meet with me sent me to someone else so I didn't get to meet the person I thought I was going to interview with, and then when they called to tell me they hired a different candidate that was a better fit for the company it was neither of those ladies, so I thought that was that was a bit cowardly on their part, I'm a beautiful woman I have the credentials I have the demeanor and I felt rocked the interview but I may not be a good fit for them because I am a worldly woman I have World travels and I have experience with many cultures and many languages I speak many languages, so perhaps I was intimidating I think a 20 year old that's hiring me when I'm in my fifties is a bit silly, just my feminine intuition and my two cents for what it's worth. Another thing is that this particular Nordstrom is in the middle of a transition the lady that I was supposed to meet with didn't meet with me and then they said she was transferring out of Cosmetics into jewelry so I think they're going through a whole big transition right now and it's a bit unorganized, with that being said they were kind and respectful and appropriate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was pretty straightforward. Applied online thus first interview was with recruiter followed by phone interview and then final face to face interview process. They were pretty fast on responding back to the status of interview.