Nordstrom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,942 Interview Reviews

2.5

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Denver, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

This was the worst interview I've ever been on. They either did not know what they were doing, or lied. I first had a Phone interview were I was asked general questions about my work history. I told them I had been doing front-end JavaScript and Angular development the last few years, but before that I had done Java, but it was over 3 years since I had done Java, but could pick it back up quickly. I then was asked to come in for a face to face interview that would be for a 80% Front-End JavaScript and 20% Backend Java Position. I was told the process would be an Interview with the Team, a Pared Programming exercise and then an interview with the Manager.
    First I got there on time and had to wait over 1/2 hour for the Manager to come out and get me. I was lead to as conference room and was told I would be doing the Pared Programming exercise first. Then a software engineer came in caring his laptop. Asked what IDE I preferred to use. I said IntelliJ for JavaScript. He said this was a Java programming exercise. Since Eclipse was the last IDE I used Java in I selected it. The version he had was several versions newer than any Eclipse I had ever used, so I told him that. He said to create a In-Memory cache with Java. So I started creating the main for the program. After getting that done he said there was no need for a main we would just user unit testing to test the work. (BTW: He had no mouse, just a track-pad on the laptop and it was setup super sensitive and set to do touch clicking, as well as the whole track-pad being a button, so whenever I touched it to move the mouse, it would click and do things I did not intend. It was the WORST setup laptop I have EVER seen). So I started to create the cache. It had been long enough since I used Java, I did not remember all the different array elements it had and asked if a Vector would be appropriate. He was reluctant to help, but said Google is our friend. So I googled it and found all the different array containers like dictionaries etc in Java and asked which one would be best. He would not give me any suggestions again. I said something like "I thought this was a PARED programming exercise?". So he suggested using a dictionary, after starting to use a dictionary and looking at the docs I saw a hash-map extended a dictionary and had much more functionality. So I said the dictionary was a bad idea and I should use the hash-map. So I did so and got most of it finished, but it was not it's own class it was a program using a hash-map. Had he explained what he wanted to start with, I would have just create a class that extended a hash-map. The manager came in a few minutes later had said time was up and how was it going. I said not well at all, and Left!

Interview Questions

• Write a in-memory cache program in Java in a pared programming exercise. But what they meant "Write a in-memory cache class in java with a unit test all on your own"!   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Difficult because you need to express yourself and be confident ones as a fresh graduate i experience struggles in finding a job to become stable someday and become regular worker

Interview Questions

• Tell us something about yourself   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Pleasanton, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview and then an in person interview with Cosmetics Counter Manager. She told me she was still interviewing and would contact me by phone or email with their decision which they never did.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you don't make your daily sales quota? We will send you home if you don't make it! Rude young manager with a major attitude.   Answer Question

Womens Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Honolulu, HI) in December 2016.

Interview

First applied online at the company website, then later received an email to set up a phone interview. That in turn, led to an in person interview for the following week.

Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview took 2 weeks and 5 times for them to make up their mind. Management all seem to be disconnected . In the cosmetics are there is 4 floor managers , account executive for the brand, counter manager , assistant manager ....all in the same place . At the beginning , I got interviewed by phone,then in person by the sports wear manager , 3rd interview was a make up demo , then the last one was with the account executive of the brand on the phone . All that just to sell make up and just become a selling machine that's only worth as much as the next person . Artistry is not appreciated here .

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Nordstrom   1 Answer

Women's Apparel Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2016.

Interview

First question: why do you want to work for Nordstrom? I actually fell asleep by waiting for the phone interview, and suddenly wake up after 2 hours later. I don't know why they called me 2 hours later and after the position has already been filled.

Interview Questions

• What do you think positive aspects of commission based sales and also negative or concerns you have for commission based sales position?   1 Answer
    • The interviewer also asked me if you did not meet your goal or expectation on sales, what will you do?   Answer Question
    • What will you do if you did not meet your own goal or expectation?   1 Answer
    • What kind of associates will be best for for this position?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and was immediately contacted for an interview. The interviewer interrupted me several times in my interview, and said I was not specific enough in my replies to her questions. My answers clearly demonstrated my candidacy and reflected my resume.

For example, I was asked, Can I give a specific example of being compensated by commission?When I replied, yes, I have been paid monthly by commission during my 22 year insurance career. I was interrupted-I wasn't being specific. OK, sure, I replied: I write insurance for shops and stores with Travelers. Each month, Travelers directly deposit the commission I earned from the previous month into my bank account-and that has been true for 17 years. She sighed, loudly, and stated that she was seeking an example she could write down.

In the end, I said that I didn't think she had read my resume, that her interview wasn't geared to hear real answers, and that my choice of description of hundreds of client service encounters weekly were very applicable to working in their home department, but evidently not in this interview, so I withdraw. And, then I withdrew my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Can I give a specific example of being compensated by commission?   1 Answer
    • Are you available weekends and evenings and day shifts?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Personality Tests online, two phone interviews, interview with someone from personnel, then offer to interview with Department manger, Then joint interview with Department Manager and vendor, Department manager/vendor/counter manager interview.

This was a very extensive hiring process, yet there are still some employees that have no idea what they are doing!

Interview Questions

• What would you do if everything you have tried to do for the customer does not calm them down and the customer remains upset?   1 Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom in December 2013.

Interview

Applied online for Cosmetics Sales Associate position. Got a call back the next day for an interview. Met with the cosmetics department manager and it was the most difficult interview ever. I've had interviews at Nordstrom before and was a rehire so I thought I had an idea of what they would ask but I felt as if I was interviewing for a job way more difficult than retail sales. It was over an hour and she asked about 20-30 questions.

Interview Questions

• Pick at product to sell to me. Why did you pick this product? Tell me 3 things about this product. What would you say to a customer who had reservations about this product.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

This was unlike any interview I've ever had - 4 hour "audition!"

Interview Questions

• If you were a PM for a bridge contractor ........   1 Answer