Nordstrom Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 2, 2017

2.6

72 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview. Nice person on the other end all good. Nordstrom keeps it classy.

Didn't get it (I think?) because I mentioned an occasional Sunday volunteer commitment? My guess is they prefer totally open availability in retail?

Lancome Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied and received a phone interview offer by email by the next day..I scheduled the phone interview for first thing the following morning. . . My block of time was 8am-10am..They phoned at 9:30..It was a female who sounded very polite and but straightforward-like a regular screening process..I am sure I was the first person in a long line of people to contact..

Interview Questions

• What was my most difficult customer experience and how did I handle and resolve the issue..   1 Answer
    • How flexible by schedule was and if I understood a retail schedule and all it entails..   1 Answer
    • How do you handle working in a commission sales environment?   Answer Question
    • How did you come to apply?
      Why Nordstrom?   Answer Question

Lead Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

First, you apply online. If they like your application/resume, you will be phoned. The phone interview is first. Then if chosen, an in-person interview is scheduled. If they decided to go further with employment, they will call you and offer you the job. If declined, they will also call you to let you know. An email is also sent out with your offer/declination.

Retail Sales Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Seemed to be a standard interview process. After applying I received an email telling me to set up an appointment for a phone interview (3 hour window, sort of annoying). It was a simple interview with a few questions. This was followed by an in store interview with an assistant store manager.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer   Answer Question

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

turned application in next day got an email to set up phone interview. set date, their window is a 2hrs window from picked hrs( so if you pick 3pm-which is the latest option- they can call you anytime between 3-5pm) got the call, basic questions.(read below) they said within 3 business day they will send email w decision no matter what( accepted or declined) but never got the email.... which is quite unprofessional from their part, if you promise something then keep your word... overall experience w them is "meh" category, as the girl who interviewed me was clearly bored and was reading the questions like a robot.... wonder how she got her job w an attitude like that... anyway thats nordstrom's problem....

Interview Questions

• Why nordstrom? are you flexible with scheduling as you need to work on weekends nightshift and holidays as well, are you ok w a commission based job. describe one difficult situation w a customer from your earlier job and how u solved the issue. can you name an occasion when you couldn't do sg-work related of course- do you have issues working in team....   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Overall I found the interview very friendly, but they certainly put you on the spot with tricky questions. They asked many detailed hypothetical questions. They also asked questions about prior experience, and how you handle specific situations.

Member Services Representative - Work From Home Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied online, and didn't hear anything back initially. Applied to another listing in my area, and received an email within 1-2 business days to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview, it was equal parts listening and answering questions. She gave me insight as to what the position was, and what it required. When she determined that I was still interested, she went into questions about my experience and what I've done in CS situations. The most important part here is to be genuine - if you're giving the answers you think you're supposed to, I don't think this interview will go well.

At the end of the call, she let me know that an online assessment would be coming through as soon as she wrapped up her notes; it was in my email 10 minutes after we got off the phone. This was probably the most time consuming aspect of the whole interview process. It took me maybe an hour, and was several sections long. I remember I needed to write an email, simulate CS calls, and possibly do my typing speed. All standard, just took a while. I got an email back that day that they were impressed with my scores and my interview, and wanted to move me to the last round - an in person interview in Los Angeles (I live about ~1.5 hours outside of LA).

Another email discussion, and I had an appointment set for the following Monday. I opted to take the train + Metro lines into the LA office because traffic would've been a nightmare. I took the Metrolink all the way to Union Station and then the Red Line to 7th Street Metro Center - you exit on the Flower Street side and you're right there. This allowed me to go into the interview fully relaxed and ready to go. We talked for a while; talked about my past CS experience, what the role would be at Nordstrom, and some of the intricacies of the position.

It was the next day, I believe, when I got the phone call from recruiting that I was being offered a position, contingent on a positive background check (I've previously been cleared to work with kids, so I'm not worried). It does take a bit to actually get into training - I was originally scheduled to start training more than a month later - but I know it's going to be worth it.

When they make you the offer, they'll have a few options in terms of schedules. There are 2 shifts - 6AM-3PM Pacific and 1PM-10PM Pacific. You'll have 2 days off per week, and they probably will not both be weekend days. Once you set that schedule, you're locked into it for a while.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you needed to show empathy for a customer in order to achieve a positive result.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation - pay rates are set in stone. I was able to negotiate to get one of my preferred days off during this phase, though

Cosmetic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

applied online and got a phone interview within a couple days.. phone interview was only a few easy questions..basically how do you deal with customer type questions and experience questions. then got an in-person interview which was not hard..basically met with cosmetics hiring manager and spoke more about my experience and customer service related questions.

Interview Questions

• name a time you had a difficult customer, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work in beauty?   Answer Question
    • if you knew there may be a chance for you to not make your sales goal, what would you do?   Answer Question

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call from a recuiter the next day. We discussed my background, past customer service experience, and set up a time for a phone interview with the HR department at the store I preferred.

HR manager called the next day asked me a few questions about my availability and why I wanted to work from Nordstrom, then she invited me for a group hiring orientation.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Basic online questionnaire that asks you to rate from "Strongly agree" to "Strongly disagree" on personal and work related questions. Once completed, I received a call asking me to interview the following week. Men should wear a jacket, and women should come in their best as well. The first part of the interview was simple; same overused questions as any business will ask. The second was much more difficult, as it requires you to roleplay a scenario in which you have to make a sale. In my case, I was required to pick out and sell 4 outfits to a man who had lost all his luggage. After that, I got a phone call from the manager saying I was hired within 48 hours of completing the interview!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Nordstrom?   1 Answer
    • When was a time you failed to reach a goal?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you completed something you are proud of.   Answer Question
    • When was a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question
    • A customer walks in and says he has lost all his luggage. He has absolutely nothing on him, and requires two formal outfits for work and two casual outfits for the weekend. Please take 15 minutes to compile these outfits and sell them to me.   1 Answer