Nordstrom Retail Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nordstrom Retail Sales Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Nordstrom

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Brea, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Filling out the application online and getting through the phone interview process was easy. I only got asked one question on the phone which was “What’s your availability.” I went in for the in person interview and it was uncomfortable. The interviewer was drilling me with the same question over and over again just used with different wording.I felt the questions were very negative and made it seem that Nordstrom is extremely pushy with sales. I understand that’s what this position entails, cause it is all about selling. However, let’s face the facts you are not going to meet your quota every single time you work. It’s not possible. I never got asked about my previous employment, why I resigned, or why I chose Nordstrom either. Very disappointed in this interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me a situation where you had to work with different cultures, and how well you worked together as a team?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Lynnwood, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

20 minute phone screen, with a next day phone interview followed by on-site interview a few days later with retail manager, very professional and easy going interview. Manager was approachable and was able to answer question(s) and concern(s) I had about the role.

Anonymous Employee in Aventura, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Aventura, FL) in September 2018.

Interview

I first did a phone interview, was immediately booked a store interview the following week , when I went to the store , I interview with the department manager, did a lil role play on the floor and went back to finalize interview . She called me within 30 minutes to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a promise and what did you do to keep the promise ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Costa, WV) in July 2018.

Interview

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with my experience interviewing for Nordstrom. For a company that focuses so much on the customer and the service they receive, the way they treated an interviewee was unacceptable. After checking in at the beauty concierge, they had me wait on the floor where customers were shopping for the next 35-40 minutes. When the manager approached she was very cold and not friendly (I received one smile during the entire interview and it was at the end of the interview.) The interview took place outside the store on a bench where we swept away food crumbs for us to sit. As she began she asked if I had any professional cosmetic training or experience selling product both of which I do not have and HAD STATED BOTH in my online application and in my resume, which it was very clear she only skimmed on her way to meet me. After answering no to both of these questions and expressing that although I have neither, I have been in customer service for the last three years, it was very clear she was no longer listening or interested. The rest of the interview she gave little feedback and could tell she was just going through the motions. Her eyes were wandering and she yawned vocally an inappropriate amount of times (up to 6 times in a 30 minute interview) with her mouth open as I painfully tried to be engaging and professional for the rest of interview with little to work with on her part. I understand if the company wants someone with more experience selling product, but why let me advance so far in the interview process when I’ve made it very clear to them in my online application and resume (possibly even in my phone interview but I can’t recall 100%)
    that my only experience and greatest strength is in customer service. She made me feel like I was just wasting her time and quiet frankly it was a waste of time on my part as well. I hope in the future Nordstrom evaluates the managers more closely because I highly doubt she is offering exceptional customer service if she treats a potential candidate the way I was treated. Overall, a very disappointing experience for something I prepared so hard for and took time off my current job for- I wasn’t given much of a chance. She said they would get back to me in a couple of days. My interview was on July 25 and it is now August 14. I have not been contacted by the Nordstrom store to be informed if I did or did not get the job. Very professional.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in January 2018.

Interview

Quick phone interview with basic questions about past experience and availability. Next comes an in store interview with the department manager in the department you applied for. They ask you basic job interview questions and give you some scenarios (how to sell jeans, what to do when a customer complains, etc).
    Overall everyone was very friendly and had a positive attitude, so make sure you match that!

Interview Questions

• What is the benefit of commission based job? What scares you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Annapolis, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

Extremely easy process. Applied online, heard back from the hiring manager who had reviewed my resume. Came into the store for an interview. Once the interview was completed the manager let me know that I was hired (once the interview was finished. I worked at a Nordstrom before and was essentially transferring and just needed to have a preliminary interview to assure I made sense for the new team)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nordstrom (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

They only asked one question.. Seemed a bit short. I was also left by whomever it was to get the hiring manager for two to three hours. Really professional, guys.

Interview Questions

• "When are you available to come in for an interview?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Novi, MI) in September 2018.

Interview

overall it was an easy process I did not like that it took just over 3 weeks. the first interview should have been a phone interview but instead a woman from HR called and only wanted to know my availability so my second interview was really my first. I had to do a third interview with the department manager to do a floor walk and mock sales interaction

Interview Questions

• describe a challenging time you had to work with someone from a different background than you...what was the situation   Answer Question
    • describe a time you could not fulfill a promise or commitment you made at work, how did you handle it...   Answer Question
    • tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • what in your past experience makes you think you would be a good fit here   Answer Question
    • how would you handle times where you did not achieve your sales goal   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Short Hills, NJ) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was selected to move on to an over the phone interview with HR. The phone interview was 2 days after I applied online, and it went extremely well. HR loved me and I was invited to move forward with an in person interview. I was emailed a link from HR to select a time slot for an interview, and I picked a date the following week. The in person interview was with two managers, one being the manager for the department I was applying for. The interview went well but they decided to move on with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work for Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    • What was the most difficult customer I've dealt with and how did I solve that issue?   Answer Question
    • Pick an item from the department and sell it to the managers as if they were a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Portland, OR).

Interview

First I went through a phone interview and then was invited in for a one on one interview. They did all their interviews at once, so there were several other candidates waiting as well. Several interviews are conducted at once in one large room.