Nordstrom Salesperson Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nordstrom Salesperson Interview Questions

Interviews at Nordstrom

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Tigard, OR) in April 2013.

Interview

Initially I applied online, then was called by HR for an interview at a specific store. I went to that interview, where I was asked very standard non-difficult questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. A week later, a manager from the At Home department called me for another interview. That interview was with him and one other floor manager. These questions were all related directly to sales/customer service. This interview lasted about one hour. Afterwards, we walked over to the department and he asked me to sell him something (role play). A week later he called to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were hard, but make sure you emphasize that you love working with people, that customers come first, and that you shop at Nordstrom.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation possible.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Atlanta, GA) in January 2011.

Interview

Was referred in. Applied online and was contacted by the manager. First interview was with the assistant manager. Then I met with manager for a one on one interview. I was offered the job and went through new hire orientation the next week.

Interview Questions

• The interview was pretty straight forward. Focused on customer service and fast-paced environment experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Dallas, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

After applying, I received a phone call from the human resources department of the store that I applied at. I was asked basic interview questions (tell me about yourself, what interests you about Nordstrom, etc.) After the phone interview I received an email inviting me to a face-to-face interview. When I came in I was first interviewed by human resources. I was asked similar questions to the phone interview, but I did get some more difficult questions going over what qualities I possess and why I would be a good fit. I was also asked about past experiences and situations and how I handled them. After that interview, I was then immediately interviewed by the department manager of the department that I applied for. The manager asked me similar questions initially but then proceeded to ask me about fashion and how it affects my life. Then I was asked about why I applied for that specific department and then I was given hypothetical scenarios that involved using my selling skills and customer service knowledge. After that interview, I waited in the room alone for a few minutes until the department manager came back in and offered me the job right at that moment.

Interview Questions

• I had a yellow folder with my resume in it during the interview. I was asked about what I would do to sell someone that folder. And once I answered I was asked about what I would do to ensure that I close the sale.   Answer Question

Salesperson Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Online application, received an email to set up a phone interview. After this I was asked to come in for an in person interview and I first interviewed with the assistant HR manager. After this interview the department manager was called up and I interviewed with him. All three interviews had similar questions. Focus of questions is on competition, teamwork, selling and service.

Interview Questions

• You have to sell the department manager interviewing you something.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation the position was draw against commission.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Submitted online application, received email to schedule a phone interview. This was then done a few days later through Skype phone calling will still abroad in France. I think there was a second phone interview as well..? Interviewed a two locations the morning after flying back home. At the first location, was suddenly asked to sell an fake sell an item to the manager. Was caught off guard, and didn't do so well. Second interview at Flagship didn't have me do this (though I noticed they do with some, not with others). Wasn't extended a position from the first location, but got the job at the second about a week after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What you would consider your strengths/weaknesses, have you ever had a conflict with a manager or co-worker, and if so, how did you resolve it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was my first retail job, so there was no negotiation. However, I heard that if you are more experienced, it's possible to do so with your base pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2010.

Interview

Was contacted by phone from the HR Manager after filling out an online application complete with resume and a personality test. My interview with the HR Manager was comfortable she asked me about my past experiences and work history. The obvious theme of the questions and interview was customer service since Nordstrom has a great reputation for customer service.

After the interview with HR I then received a phone call to schedule an interview with the department manager. Again the theme was customer service and my game plan to achieve my goals, which includes more than just showing up to that job and waiting for people to walk through the door.

Interview Questions

• How do plan to achieve your goals as a salesperson?   Answer Question
    • Describe a specific moment when you gave great customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in November 2008.

Interview

Called HR to inquire about a position at the store, and was told to go online to fill out job application and complete a personality questionnaire. Followed up with the manager in the department that I was mainly interested in working in...he pulled my application from HR, and then invited me in for an interview. He stuck to a list of questions provided by HR, but also did a great job of getting to know me personally as well. However, not all interview experiences will be like this at Nordstrom. Some managers are extremely incompetent when it comes to hiring. Others can be very awkward as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience in which you demonstrated commitment and resilience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negotiate your hourly base, depending on past experience in sales. The commission rate set-up is the same for employees company-wide, and will be determined based on your quarterly performance.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview questions were very similar throughout the 3 interviews I did -- ex, tell me about a time you went above and beyond a customer's expectations. Relate all questions back to giving outstanding customer service and they will like that

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time you went above and beyond a customers expectations   1 Answer
    • how do you feel about working in a commission based environment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Novi, MI) in May 2012.

Interview

First you fill out the online application, wait for a phone call that schedules your phone interview. Then go to 2 interviews and finally go through the nordstrom training. It was really time consuming and the training wasnt very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to go above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

NO negotion. They offer you money.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

I've always wanted to work for Nordstrom because it is one of my favorite stores and I constantly hear that it is a great place to work for! I applied online for multiple positions and became a bit discouraged as I was getting a lot of automated emails saying that I wasn't selected for an interview. Then, I was finally contacted about a Cosmetic Artistry position that I had applied for. An email prompted me to schedule a phone interview.

An HR associated called me at my interview time and asked many questions regarding my skills and experience. He also asked me questions pertaining to the job description.

I received a call from a Department Manager the next day to set up an in-person interview. I was confused at first because she had called me from an apparel department and my interview had been a full-time position in cosmetics. My interview questions were all pertaining to cosmetics as well. Nonetheless, I was excited for the opportunity so went in for the in-person interview scheduled for a week later.

The interview lasted about 45 minutes. She asked some of the same questions as the HR associate so I felt very prepared.

She called me back the next day to tell me that there would be a formal job offer pending background and reference check. I received the offer a couple days later!

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were disappointed and how you dealt with it (I couldn't think of any appropriate professional references so stumbled over this one and made it a personal example)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation