Nordstrom Seasonal Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nordstrom Seasonal Sales Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Nordstrom

2.6

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

I applied online, then get an email for a phone interview. The questions were very general. Then got an in person interview with the Sales Floor Manager. It is Nordstrom so dress to impress while still being professional. A lot of the questions were geared toward customer service, my previous sales experience, and how I have handled good/bad encounters with customers. They wanted to see that I had the customer as the top of my priority and work to give them the best experience.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with an upset customer? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
  • Pick an item on the sales floor and sell it to me.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

Applied online received an email shortly after to set up a date to complete one phone interview set up on the phone. Next Group Interview setting first come first serve so get there early then called out one by one.Was told to sell a shoe asked how to close and they really want to get to know you. Last interview will be with department manager

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Spokane, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and about a week later got an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview took about five to ten minutes. The questions were fairly simple. I have an in person interview in two weeks now. So far, the whole experience has been wonderful and positive.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about you and why you would work well as part of the Nordstorm's team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Pleasanton, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Very positive interview experience. After the initial application process, I was called in for an interview. I met with the manager of the department I was applying for. He was very professional but also very friendly. He asked the standard interview questions that you would expect, but then he wove them into an engaging dialogue about customer relationships, experiences, and how to best work for the customer. Overall, I enjoyed the interview and felt it was a very fair, thorough, and respectful interview process. The process was relatively short and quick, but I believe that was because I applied for a seasonal position not a permanent one. This was a part time job for me, but in the future I really hope to apply again and work for Nordstrom once again in the future. Great company, positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had to work with a team to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Costa Mesa, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1 week after applying, I had a group interview at Nordstrom in Costa Mesa. I met with HR and manager of one department, along with two other candidates. The interview lasted about an hour, and consisted of standard situational questions about previous customer service experience. Then we did a short sales pitch using some randomly selected pieces of clothing. I heard back with my offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• How has competition affected your performance in work in the past?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was taken to a room full of people interviewing in different departments and interviewed by a department manager. I was then matched with a different department manager and evaluated based on my specific qualifications in order to match me to a specific Nordstrom department.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay up to date on current trends in the fashion industry?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Tigard, OR) in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process took place in mass format. Prospective employees were all placed in the same room and spent about 10 minutes speaking with one of the HR representatives.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time about when you worked as part of a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and was immediately contacted for an interview. The interviewer interrupted me several times in my interview, and said I was not specific enough in my replies to her questions. My answers clearly demonstrated my candidacy and reflected my resume.

For example, I was asked, Can I give a specific example of being compensated by commission?When I replied, yes, I have been paid monthly by commission during my 22 year insurance career. I was interrupted-I wasn't being specific. OK, sure, I replied: I write insurance for shops and stores with Travelers. Each month, Travelers directly deposit the commission I earned from the previous month into my bank account-and that has been true for 17 years. She sighed, loudly, and stated that she was seeking an example she could write down.

In the end, I said that I didn't think she had read my resume, that her interview wasn't geared to hear real answers, and that my choice of description of hundreds of client service encounters weekly were very applicable to working in their home department, but evidently not in this interview, so I withdraw. And, then I withdrew my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Can I give a specific example of being compensated by commission?   1 Answer
    • Are you available weekends and evenings and day shifts?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Newport Beach, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Due to the great number of applications for the role, the initial part of the interview (after a quick phone screening by HR) included a group Q&A, consisting of scenario based questions from the HR team and heads of the men's department. The situational- based questions were fairly simple; I recommend practicing your answers prior to the interview. Thereafter, the second stage interview consisted of a scenario, whereby I roamed the store and picked out outfits (casual) to match the situation. I was selected for the 3rd stage of outfit configuration by men's formal wear. If you know your basic colors, and outfit matching, the practice is rather simple (be sure to sell the outfits, keeping in mind the situation and the small details). I was given a business card and told to await a formal acceptance.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you exceeded the expectations of your manager?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where a customer was irate and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • If you failed to meet your sales goals, how would you proceed to fix that?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you worked in a team project, what was your role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The support is great that is offered by the company, the staff are very polite, and if your are truly interested in learning, performing, and a genuine interest in the fashion industry, the doors will open for prolonging your contract and learning some real transferable-skills.

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Paramus, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online, completed the assessment on 10/13. On 10/15 I received the emails stating they would like to do a phone interview with me and to schedule a time if interested. I had my phone interview with Hr on 10/19 and she passed me to the second phase where I then had my in store interview on 10/27 as this was the earliest date available. It ended up being a 1 on 1 interview with The department assistant manager which went great and included a store tour and role play and then a 1 on 1 with the department manager. We concluded the interview and a few hours later that evening I got the call with the official offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Flat hourly pay rate was not negotiable due to it being a seasonal position