Nordstrom Visual Merchandiser Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 7, 2017

2.9

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I first had a phone interview, we talked for about 20 minutes and it was basically her describing the job. She then asked if I would like to schedule an in person interview. I went in a few weeks later for the in person and it was a panel of 3 people(2 VM Managers and the district visual director) I was also with 3 other interviewees. The interview wasn't bad, pretty simple questions and having 3 other people gave each of us time to think of a good answer. After that they have you wait in a room where they then call each in one by one. During this they will either thank you for your interview and you will hear back(means you didn't get it, most likely) or they will tell you that you are going to the second round. The second round they give you a trend board and you have to go to a department and select 3 outfits that reflect the trends given. You only have 20 minutes. They will then take a photo and review it. They don't review it with you but this is just to see if you can style outfits. That is basically the whole interview and all together it took about 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your favorite designers?   1 Answer
  • What do you think Visual Merchandising is about?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Miami, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

The process takes a few months. There's a phone interview , FaceTime interview, and an activity. There was about a two week time frame between each interview. And I expect it to Be a other few weeks until they narrow everything down.

Interview Questions

• What does visual merchandising mean to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and about 2weeks later I got an email from HR to choose a certain date and time for a phone interview. I choose the first available time and she called. At the end of the phone interview, she invited me to do an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you have retail experience?
      Why do you want to be a visual merchandiser?
      What experience do you have that related to visual merchandising?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted me about a month after I applied through the online portal. Set up a phone interview with a manager who said they would let everyone know by the end of the month. Two weeks later I had not heard anything and called HR to check and see if I should still be expecting a call or not. I was told that they were still deciding and would be contacting everyone either way by the end of the week. Another 2 weeks went by and still heard nothing so I called again and this time the HR lady was unsure and said she would have someone get in contact with me tomorrow who knows and of course its been about 2 weeks since then and I haven't heard anything. I am very disappointed as this is the flagship store and I applied at a different location and it was quick and easy and I have my second interview set up already. If they decided to go with other candidates that is totally okay but they should not be saying they will let us know either way and then never call and keep giving the run around when I call. Not professional.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Portland, OR) in January 2017.

Interview

Relaxed and laid-back, two current employees (the manager and another merchandiser) conducted the interview. They asked questions on current fashion trends, stores and brands that I found inspiring as well as creative projects that I'd taken part in outside of work.

Interview Questions

• Favorite brands, brands that are current, modern, trendy, traditional, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Walnut Creek, CA).

Interview

Whole interview took about 30 min. Interviewer discussed what to expect from the internship (responsibilities, job functions, etc.) She also asked a series of questions. Interview was very casual and easy-going.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (San Antonio, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Was called by a recruiter after submitting application. Brief phone interview, followed by an in-store interview with 2 managers. Asked questions about what I knew about the company and retail itself.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

manager liked me so I got the job it was that easy. I just had a phone interview too. As soon as some changes were made I was no longer a favorite.

Negotiation

no starting was $16.00 for visual that is good starting hourly the cap is $23.00, the company has done some cuts so this might change. I am guessing they will pay visual less.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nordstrom (San Diego, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Was odd that there was no one to meet me for my interview at the scheduled time had to pick up a phone to page.

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Norfolk, VA) in January 2013.

Interview

There was a sit down interview where we discussed resume and experience. After that there was a practical portion where I styled a group of mannequins according to the placement of merchandise on the floor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your last job   1 Answer