Norfolk Southern Conductor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Norfolk Southern Conductor Interview Questions

Interviews at Norfolk Southern

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Asheville, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Lots of information about the job. Takes a good 4-5 hours before they pick who they are going to interview. Normally they pick half of the people that is in the session. One thing I don't understand is if they process is true someone tell me how I make it into the face to face interview and one day later at a different session I don't make it into the the face to face with everything the same as the day before.

Interview Questions

• What is something u have thought yourself in the last 6 to 12 months.?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Cleveland, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

(WARNING - NOT VETERAN FRIENDLY EMPLOYER LIKE THEY CLAIM) Applied online in August 2016, got called in for a hiring session on December 15th 2016. Very specific instructions on where to be, what time, how to dress, and what to bring. Do not be late, they will turn you away, there was a big snow storm the day I went, and one of the guys bragged that they turned away 20 people that were late due to the weather. After a presentation they have you take a test, if you pass you get an interview. I waited about an hour and then got called in. The interview was easy, I was a 4.0 sailor in the Navy, had my entire record with me, with all my evals, awards, dd214, etc., had an answer for every question they asked, slam dunk, got an email back that night with a conditional offer. I then went in for a brief medical exam and drug test about 10 days later, no problem, and then I had to go up to a NS police station in Cleveland to sign some papers for a background check, again, no problem. So I do not hear anything for about two weeks then I receive an email from NS medical department asking me for letters and documents from the VA about my service connected disabilities (during the medical exam they gave a form to fill out that asked if you receive any VA or SS benefits, I did disclose my VA compensation - BAD IDEA). So anyways, the lady sending the email also sent an attached letter that asked for letters from my VA providers or outside doctors stating that I could perform the tasks of the job with no restrictions. Having a 1st class FAA medical exam & pilot's license, and also a Class A CDL & medical card, I have been down this road before with trying to get letters/ statements from VA doctors before, it is pretty much impossible, the VA normally does not allow doctors to sign statements that could put liability back on the VA for any reason. So, I responded to the NS lady and told her this, she replied, no problem and rewrote the letter for my past three years of medical records from the VA instead. No problem, I went to my local VA clinic, signed a release of information, and they faxed them all of my records and notes from the past 3 years on everything. So a few days later, the NS lady replies asking for more documents for my VA disabilities, I reply with "we sent you everything you requested, what else do you need?" We go back and forth for 2 weeks when she finally says they need my active-military medical records, (even though these go back almost 10 years ago vs. the 3 years that her letter stated). So, I have these records at home, I take the time to scan 120 pages on my home scanner and email them. I wait a few more weeks, she again asks me if I sent everything, I replied yes, then she ask me again for statements from the VA, so we are right back where we started 6 weeks ago.... I again explained to her that the VA will not provide these, and referred to the letter she wrote me stating 3 years of records would be ok (which I sent 10 years of records). I did not get a response, and I sent an email about a week later asking for an update on my case, no response. So, I get home today and have a letter in the mail from NS, it states that my conditional offer has been rescinded because I did not provide all requested documentation in a timely and complete manner, but I do not think that is the case. I think this company does not want to hire any veterans with a service-connected disability such as PTSD or if you have even had a short-term knee or back strain ten years ago, with no issues since. In my case, I cannot see how I can deemed physically and mentally qualified to hold a commercial pilot's license, and also pass a CDL DOT physical, but I am supposedly not qualified to be a conductor with Norfolk Southern. I am 5'11", 160 lbs, low blood pressure, ect., if I am not qualified for this job, who is?? I call B.S. So, from my experience, if you are a veteran with service-connected disabilities, get ready for a 2 to 3 month long rollercoaster ride, jumping through hoops and wasting your time running around sending in records that will not matter, they will not take you anyways. Their CEO is a lawyer, I am guessing that saying that "I did not send all the records in as requested" is a legal way to discriminate service-connected disabled veterans, even though myself and my local VA sent in everything they asked for, over 300 pages of records. My advice, don't waste your time.

Interview Questions

• Name one word to describe yourself.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Decatur, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Around 50 people showed up for a presentation where they gave the typical scare speech about the lifestyle of working on the railroad and we took a test afterwards. 10 people got picked based on their gender and/or race while everyone else got disqualified for the job. Complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Didn't make it to the actual interview.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Chattanooga, TN) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process can be long, but worth going the extra mile for. I was able to land the job as a conductor. The head of the HR was the last of three men that interviewed me, after that it took a little over 2 months for them to offer me a position. They paid for everything after that to go and train as a conductor.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN) in October 2017.

Interview

As described in many comment here, we started promptly at 8:00am. There were a little over 100 of us in this hiring session. Make sure you get there early and make sure you sit up front so you can hear everything in the brief. Again, as described numerous times, they beat the drum on life style change and drug tests. After the brief was complete, we were sent out on break. I believe only a few people left. Then you are required to take an 88 question test within 70 minutes. Some questions were covered reading comprehension and technical/mathematical questions. The majority of the questions were personality driven, ie... "if you see a senior co-worker committing an unsafe act you would tell a supervisor". Select "strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree". After the test was complete, we waiting in the lounge until the "interview list" was posted. Only 43 of us were selected to remain behind for interviews. They pulled us back into the conference room and briefed us on the interview process. There were 3 tables with 2 interviewers per table. Each interview lasted roughly 10-15 minutes. Again, as mentioned many times, bring food and coffee! I was the last one on the list to be interviewed and I was not alone with my hunger situation!

Interview Questions

• They asked a couple of questions regarding my resume. Asked if I was completely done with the military or would be required to go back. Then I was asked to name a time where there was a safety incident at work and how did I impact the correcting of the issue/what action did I take to mitigate it from happening again. Apparently, I made the cut as I received a conditional offer 2 days later.   Answer Question

Norfolk Southern Response

Dec 12, 2017 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for highlighting the conductor trainee recruiting and hiring process. We're creating new processes around our agreement hiring that will help reduce those awkward hunger situations. We... More

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Portsmouth, OH) in June 2014.

Interview

The easiest 5 questions ever. I was asked a few very simple questions. The whole face to face interview process lasted no longer than 15 mins. The whole day lasted a few hours because of the introduction of the job and explanation of what the job entails.

Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in January 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email a few days later for an assesment test. Then a few days after that i got another email inviting me to a hiring session. 25 or 30 people were scheaduled to be there and 12 showed up. Had 3 people including the local supervisor give presentations and answer questions. Was then given 15 minutes to take a break, call family and decide if this is right for you. 1 Person didnt come back from the break. We then all one by one had private interviews with the HR reps and supervisor.

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Princeton, IN) in December 2017.

Interview

The application and personality test are done online prior to the mass hiring event. My event was rather small. They gave the doom and gloom speech about how hard the job is and the how demanding the schedule is. The training pay is not that great but the over all is a solid opportunity. The benefits are only bested by Tricare in the military. We lost probably 4 or 5 guys when they talked about the drug test (which includes hair follicle testing).

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone was doing an unsafe act, given the fact that there is no cell phones allowed on the train and its only you another conductor and the engineer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2017.

Interview

Large hiring session where 100 people were in a large room being told the 'down and dirty' details of the job. The gentleman made it very clear that the hours are going to be awful at first, but it is well worth it in the long run. Then there was a big test, largely based on personality questions. After the test, you waited outside for an hour or so until there was an interview list. I did not make the interview list. Of 100 applicants, 12 got interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Elizabeth, NJ) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online, about a week later recieved an email inviting me to do an assessment test. It was a fairly standard personality test, which was followed by another email a few days later with an invite to a hiring session. The hiring session was smaller than i have seen in the past, only about 25-30 ppl (They're doing a better job of pre-screening now). A couple of ppl left after pay (during training) and the drug screening was discussed (they do hair sample which go as far back as 6 mos). That cut the crop in half. The actual interview was short about 10-15 mins tops with a mgr and a person from HR. Straight to the point, be clear with your answers.

Interview Questions

• If someone your working with breaks a safty rule, What would you do?   Answer Question