Norfolk Southern Interview Questions in Fort Wayne, IN | Glassdoor

Interviews at Norfolk Southern

2.4

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN) in October 2017.

Interview

As described in many comment here, we started promptly at 8:00am. There were a little over 100 of us in this hiring session. Make sure you get there early and make sure you sit up front so you can hear everything in the brief. Again, as described numerous times, they beat the drum on life style change and drug tests. After the brief was complete, we were sent out on break. I believe only a few people left. Then you are required to take an 88 question test within 70 minutes. Some questions were covered reading comprehension and technical/mathematical questions. The majority of the questions were personality driven, ie... "if you see a senior co-worker committing an unsafe act you would tell a supervisor". Select "strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree". After the test was complete, we waiting in the lounge until the "interview list" was posted. Only 43 of us were selected to remain behind for interviews. They pulled us back into the conference room and briefed us on the interview process. There were 3 tables with 2 interviewers per table. Each interview lasted roughly 10-15 minutes. Again, as mentioned many times, bring food and coffee! I was the last one on the list to be interviewed and I was not alone with my hunger situation!

Interview Questions

• They asked a couple of questions regarding my resume. Asked if I was completely done with the military or would be required to go back. Then I was asked to name a time where there was a safety incident at work and how did I impact the correcting of the issue/what action did I take to mitigate it from happening again. Apparently, I made the cut as I received a conditional offer 2 days later.   Answer Question

Norfolk Southern Response

Dec 12, 2017 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for highlighting the conductor trainee recruiting and hiring process. We're creating new processes around our agreement hiring that will help reduce those awkward hunger situations. We... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN) in April 2018.

Interview

Disorganized, tardy and ill-prepared presentation. Very good questions by local officials. No involvement by HR man who organized the event. Somewhat disturbing that an apparently higher ranking man sat in the corner - not at the table where the local officials were seated, who shook his head and radiated negativity during my interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work for NS as conductor?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN).

Interview

Took about a month to get a call back from the time my resume was submitted. Finally received an email with an invitation to a hiring session at a specific location.

Hiring session started promptly at 8 am, there were about 50 potential applicants on the room.

After 1 1/4 hours of PowerPoints describing the company and its benefits, the group was given a 15 minute break to call someone close to them and conclude if the job was for them. After the break, an 88 question test was administered. After completing the test, each applicant left the room and came back at a specific time to see if they made the final 16 cut, which was posted on a piece of paper on the door. If your name is on the list, then you get to interview in the order that your name appears on the list.

Once at the interview, there were a panel of 4 people, including current and former Conductors and Engineers, along with the Corporate HR Recruiter.

Some of the questions involved:

"What is one area of interest that you've currently studied?"

"Why Norfolk Southern?"

After the interview, you will get a notification from Norfolk Southern concerning the results.

If it's an e-mail you pretty much did NOT get the job.

A phone call from HR means they have extended an offer to you.

Interview Questions

• "What is one area of interest that you've currently studied?"

"Why Norfolk Southern?"

"Name a time throughout your career that you made a mistake and how did you respond to it?"   Answer Question

Railroad Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN).

Interview

All day. went to hiring session and made the cut. Applied in October and start date in February. Got a haircut and shaved my beard wore a suit was honest on my past and sold myself. There were 75 guys and gals 10 got interviews and 2 of us showed up in Atlanta. Safety is big. How do you live a safe life? Come well prepared. If you used drugs in last 5 months dont bother. Honesty is a must. I showed up 30 mins early and only two guys were there. They have train masters watching your every move all day taking notes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. Its all union.

Railroad Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN) in November 2012.

Interview

50+ people in a conference room, take a test, then they select individuals for interviews with a local member of management and an individual with HR. Try to find something in common with the interviewer and talk to them about that I talked more about my military experience than the job itself.

Interview Questions

• If you saw someone with 20+ years seniority breaking a rule how would you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN) in July 2018.

Interview

After passing the online assessment you will be asked to attend a work shop/interview. 2 sections the first telling you about missing family holidays, events, etc. along with watching the videos they tell you to watch before coming to the face to face interview. Then there is a Q & A in the second part of the workshop followed by interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your previous employment.   1 Answer