Norfolk Southern IT Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Norfolk Southern IT Trainee Interview Questions

2.0

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

The interview day began with an overview of Norfolk Southern and their technologies, as well as competitors and background. Afterwards, I interviewed with three different hiring managers, each for about an hour. Lunch was provided before the final interview. At the end of the day a presentation was given about the benefits, retirement, and other HR related topics. The day lasted from about 8AM to 2:30PM.

Overall it was a great experience, everyone was very friendly and laid back, and the environment was extremely comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

I responded to a job opening in the company's career job site. The HR personnel contacted me, gave the usual HR questions, then interview with the IT group. The interview with IT was not that thorough, extensive. I believe they just want to fill up the position, not interested in getting the right person for the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

Norfolk offered me an interview in Atlanta, GA office. They paid for my flight and lodging in a nice downtown suite. The hiring session was 5 hours long, w two interviews lasting 30 min a piece. Interview questions were all basic HR questions, nothing technical. We ended the day with a tour of the data center. four business days later I was informed I did not get the job. Although I was qualified and the interview went well, I assumed the female candidates got first dibs (yup, this company gave me that impression).

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself five years from now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewed on the phone with an IT team, then received information from HR about their online assessment. After taking the test, I was invited to career day.

During Career Day, you listen to a presentation about benefits and their trainee programs. You also get an opportunity to correct any mistakes on your application. I interviewed with a representative from HR and an IT team. None of the questions were very technical. Most of the question with the IT team related to what projects I had worked on and just general questions about what I knew ("have you used [language X] before?")

Unfortunately, my skills didn't quite match up with what that particular team needed, but the experience was positive overall

IT Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2012.

Interview

The initial phone screening was by far the best part of the process - I was actually able to talk to my (expected) new boss, and the work we discussed in his IT department sounded like exactly the sort of thing I'd trained to do.

From there, I had to go through the rest of Norfolk Southern's system, which was quite dry. After filling out their online application, there was a 1-hour online "skill assessment", which was about what you'd expect: standardized test questions (mostly to do with grammar and reading comprehension) coupled with some personality tests at the end of it.

Still, someone was impressed, and I came for an on-site interview. I met a couple nice people from HR, who... talked more about health benefits than about the company. More standardized testing (I guess to make sure we didn't cheat on the first one?). A one-on-one interview with one of the HR people. More "typical" questions. A week later, they emailed back and said they were no longer interested.

I imagine things would have gone better had I actually been able to talk more to the fellow from my first screening rather than go through the filter of HR.

Interview Questions

• "Your background seems more oriented towards [X]. Why are you interested in a railroad company?"   Answer Question