Norfolk Southern Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2017

2.8

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter in February. About 2 weeks later received an email for an online assessment, which consisted of reading/math questions, similar to the SAT. Another 2 weeks later I receive an an email asking me to fly to Atlanta for an in-person interview. About 1 week after the in-person interview I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the best advice you ever got?

What is something that you want us to know about you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

took an online assessment then was contacted for a phone interview, during the phone interview was invited to an in person interview. flown to Atlanta for a panel and question day and then had an individual interview the next day. was contacted about a month later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• when was a time you worked with someone difficult and how did you deal with it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Blacksburg, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online but they updated their system so my application was no longer on file. I spoke to NS at a career fair, and they interviewed me the next day. The interview was about 30-ish minutes, and the questions were fair. The interviewers were very nice! They clearly wanted me to feel comfortable. I still have not heard back about that job, and I interviewed in January (it is nearing the end of March). I am assuming that I was not chosen for the position.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter at our school's career fair and was texted that night to schedule an interview for the next day on campus. Completed the interview and was then sent an online questionnaire that consisted of a lot of personality questions on one part, and SAT type questions on the other part with a short time limit. I was then contacted about coming to Atlanta to continue the interview process with their team there.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you have been a part of that has changed your life?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews, the first phone interview a representative from Norfolk Southern wanted to talk about why I would want to work and intern at Norfolk Southern. The second phone interview talked about my leadership experience and ability and why I would want to intern at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Questions

• Fair interview questions in regards to why you would want to Intern at Norfolk Southern.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Interview was very formal, there were 6 other candidates in room for a brief presentation/speech about the position. Then they told you the schedule of individual interviews (30 min each). The individual interview was with 4 other NS employees. They go over your resume/work experience and ask basic interview questions. Overall a fairly easy process.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you demonstrated excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied though my school website and got an on campus interview. I got an email a week later, following a quiz online inviting me to an interview at Atlanta. They have a social the day before the interview to meet with HR people.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2014.

Interview

I spoke with recruiters at my school during a career fair who later contacted me to schedule an interview. I was then interviewed by two recruiters who were very polite and straight forward. It was a standard interview with mostly behavioral questions and being a student with limited job experience a majority of the interview was revolved around my resume and an explanation of the position itself and the training involved.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask any questions you should not expect during an interview.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

I met the recruiters at my university's career fair, and was told to apply online. Once I did, I was asked to take their management assessment test about two weeks later and was then contacted to come in for an onsite interview. An HR rep arranged my flight to arrive the day before the interview and they provided me with a hotel room.

When I arrived for the interview, I found out that HR had invited about ten other people as well. The morning began with a company overview and then candidates were called into one-on-one interviews. All of the HR reps were very nice and the employees I interviewed with were as well.

Interview Questions

• Do you plan on getting your MBA or other graduate degree after you graduate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (New Brunswick, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

Met at a career fair, gave them my resumes, texted me to set up an interview the next day. Had literally a 10 minute interview and than had to take a 3 part online assessment, now I am waiting to hear back.

Interview was basic questions, nothing about the actual railroad, he made it very clear to me that they would teach me all that it takes to work in there field. I interviewed with a worker and a recruiter at the same time, they asked questions mainly about how I would handle myself in situations like heavy lifting, or getting dirty in the work place since it is a very hands on job. Also asked me if I was willing to relocate, this seemed to be a make or break for them.