Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2017

116 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

I interviewed at networking event for operations research. The interview was casual with two people. They asked basic questions about my resume and had me tell them about my experiences. They also discussed job requirements and expectations.

Transportation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I met with a recruiter at one of my school's career fairs. She was super nice and really straightforward about the job requirements. I interviewed with her the next day and a couple of weeks later I received an email asking me to schedule another interview with the heads of the department. They were really accommodating in regards to travel which was great. The actual interview was okay, the questions weren't hard, but I waited over an hour after my interview time. The interview itself felt short. It seemed the interviewers were tired after interviewing the 20+ people there

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were presented a challenge and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • How would you supervise employees?   Answer Question

Account Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Had an on campus interview with two people. Was told that I would hear back very soon. Never did. I got an email and text message from a completely different recruiter about applying for this job even though I already had an on campus interview. Very disorganized.

Account Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Lexington, KY).

Interview

The interview was on campus a couple days after a career fair. The interviewer jumped straight into the questions because we only had a 30 minute window to interview. There were two people interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time you were able to convince someone who disagreed with you to see your point of view?   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Decatur, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Around 50 people showed up for a presentation where they gave the typical scare speech about the lifestyle of working on the railroad and we took a test afterwards. 10 people got picked based on their gender and/or race while everyone else got disqualified for the job. Complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Didn't make it to the actual interview.   1 Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a bit lengthy. I applied in November 2016, received an email to complete an online behavior assessment for them in January 2017, and was called for final interview with them in February 2017. The final interview was somewhat intimidating because it was 4 other gentleman and I interviewing for 4 different positions the recruiters thought we best fit. I interviewed with two Norfolk Southern IT associates. It was about 15 minutes of technical questions and basic why this role questions. It was a 3 week wait to hear a decision and they notified me of my application denial by the portal. Overall it was alright. I really wished they would have directly contacted about my denial so I could see exactly where I went wrong in the interview to get pointers. But nope

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Blacksburg, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online but they updated their system so my application was no longer on file. I spoke to NS at a career fair, and they interviewed me the next day. The interview was about 30-ish minutes, and the questions were fair. The interviewers were very nice! They clearly wanted me to feel comfortable. I still have not heard back about that job, and I interviewed in January (it is nearing the end of March). I am assuming that I was not chosen for the position.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Toledo, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

Went to the specified hotel banquet room for a test, found out it was located across town. Spent an hour listening to a presentation aimed towards scaring you away from the job, then a hour long test. After passing the test a small fraction of us were scheduled for an interview during the next several hours. Was told multiple times throughout the day experience didn't matter, was given the reason of "not having enough experience" as the reason I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• How does any of your previous work experience relate to Norfolk Southern?   1 Answer

OST Maintenance of Way Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied online and two days later received an assessment test. About a week later I was contacted by email to do a phone conference. Must have passed it since it's Phase 1 of interviews. A few days later received an email saying that I have been selected for Phase 2 in Atlanta GA. It's a two day function with day 1 meeting a few HR's, MOW sup and just meeting the other candidates. Which were in College (I already have a BA) and they are for Management Trainee. Day 2 is a two stage interview. The questions are typical and easy. Just know why you want to work for NS, be all about safety and how you can relate and if you have military experience....maybe it's a plus. I was told that they love military but who knows. I had 18.5 years in service, recommended by a supervisor from a Knoxville TN conductor interview to apply for OST, thought I did pretty well in the interviews. but I guess not good enough. Got the "selected better qualified candidates" email. If it was the other College kids that were supposedly better than me...BS. No way they have the supervisory, leadership and management skills that I have posses, not to mention the real world experience. I honestly don't think NS knows what or who they want. can't beat the free hotel stay at the W and a $100 gift card. Guess it's like the other reads on here...they are hit or miss on who they hire and it might not make sense.

Interview Questions

• Why NS? How would you deal with two of your employees arguing? Are you willing to relocate and travel a lot? Can you work in increment weather? Can you deal with a non stable work schedule or how you could be called back out at 2am? Stuff that's easy to answer and stuff that I'm definitely use to/done for 18.5 years in the military.   Answer Question

HR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the Norfolk, VA location, then received an email for a open house. I am guessing since I had recently applied and already had taken the test it was not recent to me. I arrive at the open house and there were 9 other people there. We all sat in a room listening to three other HR employees and managers talk about the job. They had us introduce ourselves and ask any questions that we had. Most get answered during their presentation. When the interviews begin you have to make it through one successfully to get to the next. I made it to the final interview and felt okay about it. Next I received an email that told said for me to log in for a conference call about NS benefits. I am not sure how many people were on the line but I heard at least five different voices all for different roles than myself. Next I never heard anything else. I sent the whole thank you follow up and nothing. I feel as though if you take the time to interview someone, especially with me interviewing with five people that common courtesy would say to "follow up!" Everyone knows how competitive NS is and I get it but at least tell applicants that you take the time to interview that they were not selected. The job was posted again about a week later so I am not sure if anyone in my group was hired or not. Overall it was not too bad, definitely different to keep you in a conference room talking to the same people you are competing against. I feel for the person that interviewed last because they were there for hours. They do tell you to plan on being there for three hours and please believe them! It also helps if you know someone that works there and they are doing well. If you have a relative with the company, tell them on your application.

Interview Questions

• Scenario questions and why you want the job. Also company history and if you knew about NS and what they do. Know who their competition is. Know what you want to do with NS after your current role. Be CONFIDENT!   1 Answer