Norfolk Southern Conductor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 24, 2017

2.9

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Decatur, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Around 50 people showed up for a presentation where they gave the typical scare speech about the lifestyle of working on the railroad and we took a test afterwards. 10 people got picked based on their gender and/or race while everyone else got disqualified for the job. Complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Didn't make it to the actual interview.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Over 100 people showed up they cut the group in half after the test. Then we were individually interviewed and after the interview they informed us it could take 3-5 days before we heard something.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

4 panel interview process. Basically explaining safety, the elements you work in, hours of operation, school layout and academics, and how much money to expect. Extensive background check. They ask alot of questions. Like your previous work experience, we're you disciplined, ever terminated. They want to know that you are going to work all the time and not take off. They promise you alot. But when it comes to laying you off they don't care about you. They want a warm body when business is booming. But when business is down you are forgotten about.

Interview Questions

• Your experience in how important safely is.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Cleveland, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

(WARNING - NOT VETERAN FRIENDLY EMPLOYER LIKE THEY CLAIM) Applied online in August 2016, got called in for a hiring session on December 15th 2016. Very specific instructions on where to be, what time, how to dress, and what to bring. Do not be late, they will turn you away, there was a big snow storm the day I went, and one of the guys bragged that they turned away 20 people that were late due to the weather. After a presentation they have you take a test, if you pass you get an interview. I waited about an hour and then got called in. The interview was easy, I was a 4.0 sailor in the Navy, had my entire record with me, with all my evals, awards, dd214, etc., had an answer for every question they asked, slam dunk, got an email back that night with a conditional offer. I then went in for a brief medical exam and drug test about 10 days later, no problem, and then I had to go up to a NS police station in Cleveland to sign some papers for a background check, again, no problem. So I do not hear anything for about two weeks then I receive an email from NS medical department asking me for letters and documents from the VA about my service connected disabilities (during the medical exam they gave a form to fill out that asked if you receive any VA or SS benefits, I did disclose my VA compensation - BAD IDEA). So anyways, the lady sending the email also sent an attached letter that asked for letters from my VA providers or outside doctors stating that I could perform the tasks of the job with no restrictions. Having a 1st class FAA medical exam & pilot's license, and also a Class A CDL & medical card, I have been down this road before with trying to get letters/ statements from VA doctors before, it is pretty much impossible, the VA normally does not allow doctors to sign statements that could put liability back on the VA for any reason. So, I responded to the NS lady and told her this, she replied, no problem and rewrote the letter for my past three years of medical records from the VA instead. No problem, I went to my local VA clinic, signed a release of information, and they faxed them all of my records and notes from the past 3 years on everything. So a few days later, the NS lady replies asking for more documents for my VA disabilities, I reply with "we sent you everything you requested, what else do you need?" We go back and forth for 2 weeks when she finally says they need my active-military medical records, (even though these go back almost 10 years ago vs. the 3 years that her letter stated). So, I have these records at home, I take the time to scan 120 pages on my home scanner and email them. I wait a few more weeks, she again asks me if I sent everything, I replied yes, then she ask me again for statements from the VA, so we are right back where we started 6 weeks ago.... I again explained to her that the VA will not provide these, and referred to the letter she wrote me stating 3 years of records would be ok (which I sent 10 years of records). I did not get a response, and I sent an email about a week later asking for an update on my case, no response. So, I get home today and have a letter in the mail from NS, it states that my conditional offer has been rescinded because I did not provide all requested documentation in a timely and complete manner, but I do not think that is the case. I think this company does not want to hire any veterans with a service-connected disability such as PTSD or if you have even had a short-term knee or back strain ten years ago, with no issues since. In my case, I cannot see how I can deemed physically and mentally qualified to hold a commercial pilot's license, and also pass a CDL DOT physical, but I am supposedly not qualified to be a conductor with Norfolk Southern. I am 5'11", 160 lbs, low blood pressure, ect., if I am not qualified for this job, who is?? I call B.S. So, from my experience, if you are a veteran with service-connected disabilities, get ready for a 2 to 3 month long rollercoaster ride, jumping through hoops and wasting your time running around sending in records that will not matter, they will not take you anyways. Their CEO is a lawyer, I am guessing that saying that "I did not send all the records in as requested" is a legal way to discriminate service-connected disabled veterans, even though myself and my local VA sent in everything they asked for, over 300 pages of records. My advice, don't waste your time.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in December 2016.

Interview

There were about 50 people in a room at a hotel. We had orientation that lasted for about an hour or so. Then we had a break and took a test afterward. People were then selected for interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Toledo, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

Went to the specified hotel banquet room for a test, found out it was located across town. Spent an hour listening to a presentation aimed towards scaring you away from the job, then a hour long test. After passing the test a small fraction of us were scheduled for an interview during the next several hours. Was told multiple times throughout the day experience didn't matter, was given the reason of "not having enough experience" as the reason I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• How does any of your previous work experience relate to Norfolk Southern?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

10 minute question about how you would be good fit. I do not have 30 more words to say but that is the required minimum in order to complete this overall process, i am observing. I find it very annoying

Interview Questions

• 10 minute question about how you would be good fit   1 Answer

Negotiation

decent

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Asheville, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Lots of information about the job. Takes a good 4-5 hours before they pick who they are going to interview. Normally they pick half of the people that is in the session. One thing I don't understand is if they process is true someone tell me how I make it into the face to face interview and one day later at a different session I don't make it into the the face to face with everything the same as the day before.

Interview Questions

• What is something u have thought yourself in the last 6 to 12 months.?   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Instructors for Norfolk southern gave us a brief summary of job. Took a basic math/reading test and if you scored well on the test you got a chance for a interview

Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Toledo, OH).

Interview

The interview/testing session was at a large hotel in Toledo. The company reps showed a video and sold us a bill of good about how this "career" would change our lives. Of the 130 people that showed up and took the tests around 30 were chosen to be interviewed. We the. Had to wait several hours to be interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me questions mostly pertaining to my past experience. They asked some situational questions. Like what would you do in an emergency situation type stuff. I mostly just kept relating everything back to my own experience. If you get to the interview there is a good chance that you already have the job. The stress was the worst part about the whole process. I had to wait almost 5 hours at the hotel until they called me to come in and interview.   Answer Question