Norfolk Southern Conductor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Norfolk Southern Conductor Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2017

2.8

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

4 panel interview process. Basically explaining safety, the elements you work in, hours of operation, school layout and academics, and how much money to expect. Extensive background check. They ask alot of questions. Like your previous work experience, we're you disciplined, ever terminated. They want to know that you are going to work all the time and not take off. They promise you alot. But when it comes to laying you off they don't care about you. They want a warm body when business is booming. But when business is down you are forgotten about.

Interview Questions

• Your experience in how important safely is.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in December 2016.

Interview

There were about 50 people in a room at a hotel. We had orientation that lasted for about an hour or so. Then we had a break and took a test afterward. People were then selected for interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

10 minute question about how you would be good fit. I do not have 30 more words to say but that is the required minimum in order to complete this overall process, i am observing. I find it very annoying

Interview Questions

• 10 minute question about how you would be good fit   1 Answer

Negotiation

decent

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Asheville, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Lots of information about the job. Takes a good 4-5 hours before they pick who they are going to interview. Normally they pick half of the people that is in the session. One thing I don't understand is if they process is true someone tell me how I make it into the face to face interview and one day later at a different session I don't make it into the the face to face with everything the same as the day before.

Interview Questions

• What is something u have thought yourself in the last 6 to 12 months.?   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Instructors for Norfolk southern gave us a brief summary of job. Took a basic math/reading test and if you scored well on the test you got a chance for a interview

Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Toledo, OH).

Interview

The interview/testing session was at a large hotel in Toledo. The company reps showed a video and sold us a bill of good about how this "career" would change our lives. Of the 130 people that showed up and took the tests around 30 were chosen to be interviewed. We the. Had to wait several hours to be interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me questions mostly pertaining to my past experience. They asked some situational questions. Like what would you do in an emergency situation type stuff. I mostly just kept relating everything back to my own experience. If you get to the interview there is a good chance that you already have the job. The stress was the worst part about the whole process. I had to wait almost 5 hours at the hotel until they called me to come in and interview.   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN).

Interview

Took about a month to get a call back from the time my resume was submitted. Finally received an email with an invitation to a hiring session at a specific location.

Hiring session started promptly at 8 am, there were about 50 potential applicants on the room.

After 1 1/4 hours of PowerPoints describing the company and its benefits, the group was given a 15 minute break to call someone close to them and conclude if the job was for them. After the break, an 88 question test was administered. After completing the test, each applicant left the room and came back at a specific time to see if they made the final 16 cut, which was posted on a piece of paper on the door. If your name is on the list, then you get to interview in the order that your name appears on the list.

Once at the interview, there were a panel of 4 people, including current and former Conductors and Engineers, along with the Corporate HR Recruiter.

Some of the questions involved:

"What is one area of interest that you've currently studied?"

"Why Norfolk Southern?"

"Name a time throughout your career that you made a mistake and how did you respond to it?"

After the interview, you will get a notification from Norfolk Southern concerning the results.

If it's an e-mail you pretty much did NOT get the job.

A phone call from HR means they have extended an offer to you.

Interview Questions

• "What is one area of interest that you've currently studied?"

"Why Norfolk Southern?"

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

We were told before the interview that they didn't have to hire anyone if they didn't want to. Think of everyone as competition for your potential job they said. Before that they tell you to kiss your personal life goodbye and how they have one of they highest divorce rates among occupations Be prepared to spend an entire day at your interview. I was interviewed by an hr manager and the manager of the dept that I was interviewing for. they wanted to know my work history and the length of time that I had worked there. This is a good way to figure out how old someone is without actually breaking the law by asking your age outright. They wanted to know if I didn't like what I was doing now and why I wanted to work for them. They asked if I had ever been written up on a job. They asked why I chose the name for my email address. It felt as if I was guilty until proven innocent.

Interview Questions

• with your experience don't you think you would be better suited doing something more in line with your current profession?   1 Answer

Train Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Columbia, SC) in May 2015.

Interview

First round of the interview was basically an orientation of the job and company so you know what your getting into. That lasted about an hour and then we were put on a break at which the HR person suggested we call our loved ones to ensure this is what we want to do an she also stated that if anyone had done any drugs in the last year or so that they should not come back because the drig test will reveal that and all you would have done is waste their time and yours. After the break we took a test that consisted of math, reading, personal suggestions and mechanics. We started with 44 people and after the testing we were down to only 19 that actually got and interview.

Interview Questions

• Did I understand what the duties of a train conductor where?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation option

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Cleveland, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

First, you apply online and they got back to me in 2 days, which normally isn't that quick. I was instructed to attend an interview session on 4/24/2015 and be there at 8AM sharp. It was at a hotel. One person was late and was told to go home. Only 16 out of the 50 they were supposed to have shown up. It was a "drill sergeant" mentality they had during the process which I was able to handle. Three representatives from the railroad came in. One was a yardmaster, another a conductor, and the third was a conductor-no HR people present. We had to sign in upon arrival where we had to give them our application we had to print out prior to coming to the interview and give them our drivers licenses as well. We in turn got a blue sheet of paper with a 7 digit code for the assessment test and a survey we had to fill out about the interview. The survey was just one question asking us how we heard of the job interview thing and that's it-it lacked any depth. We were to turn off our phones and not use them at all during the session.
    The first phase was a PowerPoint that was going over safety, how drugs and alcohol will not be tolerated, the pay & benefits, the conductor job description, and they had a video included with the PowerPoint which was taken from their website and their YouTube site that talked to Conductor Brian. They also went over in the PowerPoint what would be the next step if offered the position and how we would be sent for 3 weeks to McDonough, GA if we get hired for training. If hired, you'd be the one paying for your way down there, which will be reimbursed and they will put you into a 2 person hotel room down there.. They give you a $20 prepaid american express card which is reloaded everyday to pay for food during this time. Whatever you don't use, you keep upon completion. After that, they send you to wherever rail yard you applied there where you will be training 4-6 months. You will begin your 60 or 90 day probation though once you get out of McDonough. They told us how for about 25 years Norfolk Southern won he Harriman Award and that the other railroads were so pissed that they won it for so long that they stopped the award 5-10 years ago because the other companies were jealous that they kept on winning. What they didn't tell the applicants, and this was something I knew about but didn't blurt out was the fact that Norfolk Southern has also been sued numerous times for fudging accident records to keep the award and was forced to pay settlements to employees for lost wage, medical expenses, etc., and this is how they were able to keep it. This led to some near strikes in te industry over fudging of reports. This was part of the reason why it was discontinued.
    During this first half of the training session, the dude clicking through the PowerPoint's kept on reiterating the safety and mainly the drugs and alcohol portion. Everyone in there was just looking at them like "OK, we got you". We knew what that industry entails and knew what to do and what not to do on railroads. The group of us that they had were fairly smart-most of us either college students, soon to be graduates, or prior military so we knew better that trains are dangerous and we kind of knew better that drugs and alcohol won't be tolerated. After the PowerPoint, the other two guys introduced themselves and said very little. We went on our 1st 15 minute break after the PowerPoint and then came back for the assessment test. While on break, we were instructed to come back on time which all of us did. There were 3 that left.
    We were handed a test booklet, a Scantron page, two pencils, and a piece of scratch paper which was from the piece of paper we put our 7 digit code on it. Yeah, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, it was not an online assessment test. It was a reading, mechanical comprehension, math, and personality assessment test. We were told that if we had to use the restroom at any point of the test, we needed to leave our phones behind so that we won't be calling friends for the answers. We had about an hour and fifteen minutes to complete it and once we were done, it had to be stacked in a certain order on the table. If not our test would not be accepted. This just drew a bunch of rolling eyes and one or two chuckles from the group. We were told to file out of the room after the assessment test and wait outside for the list as to who will make it to the interview session. One guy left thinking he flunked the assessment test, but he actually passed it and made the list of candidates who passed. Sadly he left not knowing that and they withdrew his application.
    I took the assessment test and passed with flying colors on that one because they sure enough interviewed me first on the list. I had my interview and I'll admit I wasn't prepared. I didn't get the job, but I am still in running for other jobs.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the railroad? Do you have any additional questions?   Answer Question