Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 13, 2017

2.9

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Chattanooga, TN) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process can be long, but worth going the extra mile for. I was able to land the job as a conductor. The head of the HR was the last of three men that interviewed me, after that it took a little over 2 months for them to offer me a position. They paid for everything after that to go and train as a conductor.

Interview Questions

• what prior experience I had   1 Answer

Crew Dispatcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

After applying, if selected, you will be invited to come to a hiring session at a hotel. First you will take a test similar to the SAT, and is like 88 questions long. If you pass that they put your name on the door, and you get to stay and take a typing test. If you pass that, they put your name on the door and you get to stay and have a 3 panel interview. This is an ALL DAY PROCESS. No, they don't provide refreshments.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Once you make it past the other obstacles, this part should be easy.   Answer Question

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Interview

I got a request to schedule a first round interview. After setting up the interview I was asked to fill out a personality test, which I completed. Later in the week I was notified that the interview would be with a different person at the same time. At the time of interview I was never called and emailed the person letting them know, and to ask if they would reschedule it. I never heard anything back and later received an email saying no thank you. I am disappointed that a large company like Norfolk Southern would treat applicants this way.

Railcar Repair Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Was absolutely shocked! Received a call confirming I was coming to interview at 7:30pm sat. For an interview Friday. Went to interview Friday and was there for more than 8 hours! Started with 25 people then narrowed to half of that once we took an hour long test. Then in for the interviews one on one

Sourcing Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

1st interview was with a HR representative at my university. This interview was basically to ensure that you are not crazy. Pretty easy. The 2nd round was 4 one-on-one interviews with directors and a VP all who you ultimately would be working for. This interview was in Roanoke. There was also an essay to write which was a surprise since there was no warning about this prior to the interviews. The question is below. Seems self explanatory, but know EVERYTHING on your resume down to the details. Be ready to talk about your current classes.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through how you would figure out how to find the price we should pay for wheels that go on our trains.   Answer Question
    • If we wanted to in-house the teams that move our train crews to hotels and back when they reach their hours limits, what things would we need to look at to realize the cost of this proposition?   Answer Question
    • Tell me your background with negotiation, either professionally or personally.   Answer Question
    • What are you looking for out of Norfolk Southern?   Answer Question
    • Essay Question:

Background: We already have 1000 units of Electronic Video Systems installed on our trains. We want to obtain 500 more units. We put out a request for proposal from the company that we already have the systems from as well as their competitors. We received the quotes back and eventually decide to choose the current company anyways.

Problem: We have portions of our tracks that other railroad companies use as well. They utilize the competitor's electronic video systems which our users are not familiar with. To alleviate this problem, we want to obtain 1 system from each competitor so that we can look into the system to understand how it works and how to use it so that we can train our users. We reach out to the competitors and all but one respond with a quote. ABC company has 2 reservations about the request. 1.) We used the previous bid process to beat down their competitors prices and 2.) they are afraid that we would discover proprietary information about their system during our tests which could be leaked.

Write a brief email to ABC company using the above reasoning to encourage them to reconsider their decision concerning this request.   1 Answer

Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in April 2012.

Interview

The process was long and exhausting while in school, which included a multi-step interview, several online pre-qual quizzes and intelligence tests, personal interviews. I went through 3 of the 4 rounds.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Over 100 people showed up they cut the group in half after the test. Then we were individually interviewed and after the interview they informed us it could take 3-5 days before we heard something.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a bit lengthy. I applied in November 2016, received an email to complete an online behavior assessment for them in January 2017, and was called for final interview with them in February 2017. The final interview was somewhat intimidating because it was 4 other gentleman and I interviewing for 4 different positions the recruiters thought we best fit. I interviewed with two Norfolk Southern IT associates. It was about 15 minutes of technical questions and basic why this role questions. It was a 3 week wait to hear a decision and they notified me of my application denial by the portal. Overall it was alright. I really wished they would have directly contacted about my denial so I could see exactly where I went wrong in the interview to get pointers. But nope

Management Trainee Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA).

Interview

1 face to face screening interview with a recruiter; 1 screening interview at Norfolk Southern HQ in Norfolk, VA. Took a Management Assessment Test asking what to do in certain professional circumstances; flown to Atlanta for a reception, followed by a final round of face to face interviews rotating around to 3 different hiring managers. They spent considerable time during each step pitching the career, tradition, and values.

Interview Questions

• What is your Management Style?   1 Answer

HR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the Norfolk, VA location, then received an email for a open house. I am guessing since I had recently applied and already had taken the test it was not recent to me. I arrive at the open house and there were 9 other people there. We all sat in a room listening to three other HR employees and managers talk about the job. They had us introduce ourselves and ask any questions that we had. Most get answered during their presentation. When the interviews begin you have to make it through one successfully to get to the next. I made it to the final interview and felt okay about it. Next I received an email that told said for me to log in for a conference call about NS benefits. I am not sure how many people were on the line but I heard at least five different voices all for different roles than myself. Next I never heard anything else. I sent the whole thank you follow up and nothing. I feel as though if you take the time to interview someone, especially with me interviewing with five people that common courtesy would say to "follow up!" Everyone knows how competitive NS is and I get it but at least tell applicants that you take the time to interview that they were not selected. The job was posted again about a week later so I am not sure if anyone in my group was hired or not. Overall it was not too bad, definitely different to keep you in a conference room talking to the same people you are competing against. I feel for the person that interviewed last because they were there for hours. They do tell you to plan on being there for three hours and please believe them! It also helps if you know someone that works there and they are doing well. If you have a relative with the company, tell them on your application.

Interview Questions

• Scenario questions and why you want the job. Also company history and if you knew about NS and what they do. Know who their competition is. Know what you want to do with NS after your current role. Be CONFIDENT!   1 Answer