Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.9

OST MECHANICAL/TRANSPORTATION Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted about a phone interview. The phone interview was with an HR recruiter in Norfolk and was very casual but also had questions that required me to explain how my skills and past experiences will correlate to NS.
    After that there is a conference call that you take part in with other candidates. This follows along with a power point overview of company benefits etc...
    The actual interviews are typically conducted in Atlanta and are two days.
    The fist day was just all the candidates meeting in a conference room and going over specifics about the role, with a helpful video to watch also. There will also be a panel of people (former or current MTs) to ask questions and pick their brains.
    The interviews are the 2nd day in the morning. Afterwords they tell you 5-10 business days to hear any results, I waited 4 weeks and then got the call Monday of the 5th week. I was offered the same position in both departments.
    Throughout this process HR was amazing and was always willing to help with any questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to discipline someone? if so, how do you go about it.   Answer Question
    • KNOW how to impliment safe practices in the workplace. Show them how you have done so In the past, if you don't have experience in a culture of safety GO GET SOME. (not a question just a tip)   Answer Question

Mechanical Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Interview with a member of their HR team. The interview was pretty relaxed but was based more on your personality and how you would fit in with the company rather than qualifications. The interviewer did not have a technical background so some information seemed to be lost on her. After the initial interview, if selected to move on you are asked to come down to their corporate center in Georgia.

Interview Questions

• Do you plan to stay with NS for awhile?   1 Answer

Carman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Jacksonville, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Show up on time. Recruiter goes over pay, benefits, what the position entails, etc. Then you take a basic aptitude test (not hard at all). To prepare, practice answering fact based questions. Test also includes work-type preferences and how much you care about safety. Study up on fractions!!

Interview Questions

• If I, as your supervisor, did something to break a safety rule, how would handle it?
      Why Norfolk vs other railroads?
      1 Answer

Transportation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I met with a recruiter at one of my school's career fairs. She was super nice and really straightforward about the job requirements. I interviewed with her the next day and a couple of weeks later I received an email asking me to schedule another interview with the heads of the department. They were really accommodating in regards to travel which was great. The actual interview was okay, the questions weren't hard, but I waited over an hour after my interview time. The interview itself felt short. It seemed the interviewers were tired after interviewing the 20+ people there

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were presented a challenge and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • How would you supervise employees?   Answer Question

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Nashville, TN) in October 2016.

Interview

I had got the interview through INFORMS conference. I had submitted my resume in one of their booths and they had interviewed me for Operations research position on the following day.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about my resume and some technical questions   1 Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online. Had to complete an online assessment. Had a very brief phone interview. Was invited to an onsite interview. Completed a virtual career day. Flew to Atlanta for interview which consisted of employee panel first night and two interviews the next day, each with a department member and HR rep.

Transportation Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

I spoke with the recruiter at the university career fair. I had a positive feeling and decided to apply for the position. The following week, the recruiter contacted me for a phone screening. At the end of the screening, I was invited to a 2-day hiring event for the following week. Day 1 included a Q&A with senior employees and an opportunity to network with them afterwards. It was laid back in the sense that it wasn't pretentious. Day 2 consisted of two panel interviews. After the interviews, they tell you they will contact you in 5-10 business days with a result. They contacted me back in 8! Whew!

They want leaders! You should be confident in your leadership style. This job also requires that you relocate, work shifts overnight, and holidays. Know if you are comfortable with that going in to this process.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Over 100 people showed up they cut the group in half after the test. Then we were individually interviewed and after the interview they informed us it could take 3-5 days before we heard something.

Mechanical Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Knoxville, TN) in October 2014.

Interview

Attended a college career fair. Handed in my resume and was contacted the next day for an interview. One person from operations and one person from HR handled the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle two people that are arguing and how did you resolve the argument? Give a personal example.   3 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Blacksburg, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online but they updated their system so my application was no longer on file. I spoke to NS at a career fair, and they interviewed me the next day. The interview was about 30-ish minutes, and the questions were fair. The interviewers were very nice! They clearly wanted me to feel comfortable. I still have not heard back about that job, and I interviewed in January (it is nearing the end of March). I am assuming that I was not chosen for the position.