Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Dec 7, 2017

2.8

Pricing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, took a diagnostic test, had a phone interview a week later, listened in on a career day conference call, and finally had a video interview with the marketing department.

Interview Questions

• What spiked your interest in Norfolk Southern, specifically the Marketing department?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience working in a group setting.   Answer Question
    • Describe how you budget your time.   Answer Question
    • How do you think your previous experience will help you in this internship?   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

Online Assessment about vocabulary and reading comprehension. Then they emailed me to set up a phone screen interview. I was then invited to interview at headquarters in Norfolk. There was a panel where we could ask questions to current employees and then 3 interviews the next day.

Interview Questions

• How would you price a coal shipment from one place to another?   Answer Question

IT Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

The interview started with HR calling and then another phone interview afterwards. In between there were emails. It was very slow and unpleasant. However, the interview was pretty chill and behavioral based.

Account Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

The Interview Process was simple and the Recruiters were friendly. The Interview Process went well. The questions were simple and more about the general questions like Tell me something about yourself, how did you hear about us.

Revenue Accounting Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2017.

Interview

I found out about the company from my school at Norfolk State and Applied directly through site. The process took almost 2 months before my interview at Atlanta headquarters. Flew me out for a 2 day process. Day 1 was HR presentation and discussion panel and mixer where you get to ask all the questions you want and understand what the company expects and its goals. Day 2 we had To Interview with two different groups of employees and had a chance to Shadow some of the people that were doing the job we would be doing. Everyone there is so friendly and very helpful. It Was a great learning experience

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2017.

Interview

They really push that you have no Home life in the presentation. Also the compensation for the training period is not worth it. $600 a week pre-tax for 4 months. You are required to work 72 hours a week on that pay mind you. Comes out to about $8.33/hr. Although they guarantee $1,700 every 2 weeks minimum after your successful probationary period is up.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to correct a past employees work habits because it was unsafe?   Answer Question

Track Laborer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lock Haven, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Lock Haven, PA).

Interview

Applied online for this position twice in 2 years. Got called in for a hiring session a few weeks after the second application. You're in a room with about 20-30 people all trying to get an interview. They give you a rundown on the company, what the job entails, and try to scare off the drug users with a bunch of strict drug policy talk. You take a ridiculously easy mechanical aptitude test, and then wait to see if you're one of the 4-5 people to get an interview .
    Got an interview, waited my turn. A couple of weeks later got the 'thanks but no thanks email.'

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

I interviewed at networking event for operations research. The interview was casual with two people. They asked basic questions about my resume and had me tell them about my experiences. They also discussed job requirements and expectations.

Mechanical Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Interview with a member of their HR team. The interview was pretty relaxed but was based more on your personality and how you would fit in with the company rather than qualifications. The interviewer did not have a technical background so some information seemed to be lost on her. After the initial interview, if selected to move on you are asked to come down to their corporate center in Georgia.

Interview Questions

• Do you plan to stay with NS for awhile?   1 Answer

Transportation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I met with a recruiter at one of my school's career fairs. She was super nice and really straightforward about the job requirements. I interviewed with her the next day and a couple of weeks later I received an email asking me to schedule another interview with the heads of the department. They were really accommodating in regards to travel which was great. The actual interview was okay, the questions weren't hard, but I waited over an hour after my interview time. The interview itself felt short. It seemed the interviewers were tired after interviewing the 20+ people there

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were presented a challenge and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • How would you supervise employees?   Answer Question