Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Blacksburg, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online but they updated their system so my application was no longer on file. I spoke to NS at a career fair, and they interviewed me the next day. The interview was about 30-ish minutes, and the questions were fair. The interviewers were very nice! They clearly wanted me to feel comfortable. I still have not heard back about that job, and I interviewed in January (it is nearing the end of March). I am assuming that I was not chosen for the position.

Management Trainee Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA).

Interview

Spoke at career fair, interview after career fair, phone interview on a Sunday, fly to Norfolk for on site interviews, fly back to Norfolk for final round. This was in their marketing department. The first on site interviews were completely hectic, all we knew is that there would be a panel Thursday night and interviews on Friday. On Friday we all shuttled to Norfolk Southern from the airport hotel we were in only to sit in a common area for hours waiting to be interviewed. There were probably 8 of us, some interviewed first, others sat from 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM waiting. For the final round interview, I flew out and was put in a nicer hotel downtown, woke up in the morning and interviewed with some VPs for 35 minutes, and was sent to the airport. In terms of your expenses, they'll give you a $100 prepaid visa gift card. The company isn't doing well and their employees know it, expect questions like "what do you think the future of Norfolk Southern is?". I was surprised they fly you out twice, we all assumed the first time was final round. It's all behavioral, maybe a pricing question if you're going after marketing. For some reason they list the Management Trainee Program as also an MBA level position and tried to recruit MBAs for this position without offering MBA level salaries, which is why I declined. Salary is $55k, $60k after some training. It might be negotiable, I asked for a salary based on my program's placement statistics and they said it was out of the management trainee program range.

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Cleveland, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

(WARNING - NOT VETERAN FRIENDLY EMPLOYER LIKE THEY CLAIM) Applied online in August 2016, got called in for a hiring session on December 15th 2016. Very specific instructions on where to be, what time, how to dress, and what to bring. Do not be late, they will turn you away, there was a big snow storm the day I went, and one of the guys bragged that they turned away 20 people that were late due to the weather. After a presentation they have you take a test, if you pass you get an interview. I waited about an hour and then got called in. The interview was easy, I was a 4.0 sailor in the Navy, had my entire record with me, with all my evals, awards, dd214, etc., had an answer for every question they asked, slam dunk, got an email back that night with a conditional offer. I then went in for a brief medical exam and drug test about 10 days later, no problem, and then I had to go up to a NS police station in Cleveland to sign some papers for a background check, again, no problem. So I do not hear anything for about two weeks then I receive an email from NS medical department asking me for letters and documents from the VA about my service connected disabilities (during the medical exam they gave a form to fill out that asked if you receive any VA or SS benefits, I did disclose my VA compensation - BAD IDEA). So anyways, the lady sending the email also sent an attached letter that asked for letters from my VA providers or outside doctors stating that I could perform the tasks of the job with no restrictions. Having a 1st class FAA medical exam & pilot's license, and also a Class A CDL & medical card, I have been down this road before with trying to get letters/ statements from VA doctors before, it is pretty much impossible, the VA normally does not allow doctors to sign statements that could put liability back on the VA for any reason. So, I responded to the NS lady and told her this, she replied, no problem and rewrote the letter for my past three years of medical records from the VA instead. No problem, I went to my local VA clinic, signed a release of information, and they faxed them all of my records and notes from the past 3 years on everything. So a few days later, the NS lady replies asking for more documents for my VA disabilities, I reply with "we sent you everything you requested, what else do you need?" We go back and forth for 2 weeks when she finally says they need my active-military medical records, (even though these go back almost 10 years ago vs. the 3 years that her letter stated). So, I have these records at home, I take the time to scan 120 pages on my home scanner and email them. I wait a few more weeks, she again asks me if I sent everything, I replied yes, then she ask me again for statements from the VA, so we are right back where we started 6 weeks ago.... I again explained to her that the VA will not provide these, and referred to the letter she wrote me stating 3 years of records would be ok (which I sent 10 years of records). I did not get a response, and I sent an email about a week later asking for an update on my case, no response. So, I get home today and have a letter in the mail from NS, it states that my conditional offer has been rescinded because I did not provide all requested documentation in a timely and complete manner, but I do not think that is the case. I think this company does not want to hire any veterans with a service-connected disability such as PTSD or if you have even had a short-term knee or back strain ten years ago, with no issues since. In my case, I cannot see how I can deemed physically and mentally qualified to hold a commercial pilot's license, and also pass a CDL DOT physical, but I am supposedly not qualified to be a conductor with Norfolk Southern. I am 5'11", 160 lbs, low blood pressure, ect., if I am not qualified for this job, who is?? I call B.S. So, from my experience, if you are a veteran with service-connected disabilities, get ready for a 2 to 3 month long rollercoaster ride, jumping through hoops and wasting your time running around sending in records that will not matter, they will not take you anyways. Their CEO is a lawyer, I am guessing that saying that "I did not send all the records in as requested" is a legal way to discriminate service-connected disabled veterans, even though myself and my local VA sent in everything they asked for, over 300 pages of records. My advice, don't waste your time.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in December 2016.

Interview

There were about 50 people in a room at a hotel. We had orientation that lasted for about an hour or so. Then we had a break and took a test afterward. People were then selected for interviews.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Toledo, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

Went to the specified hotel banquet room for a test, found out it was located across town. Spent an hour listening to a presentation aimed towards scaring you away from the job, then a hour long test. After passing the test a small fraction of us were scheduled for an interview during the next several hours. Was told multiple times throughout the day experience didn't matter, was given the reason of "not having enough experience" as the reason I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• How does any of your previous work experience relate to Norfolk Southern?   1 Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

The interview was held on campus from a college recruiting event. It lasted around 20 minutes. Two people asked questions, with one leading and the other one taking notes. Both employees of the company allowed the process to be very laid back and comfortable (unlike others). After this I waited almost two months to hear back, but I GOT THE JOB!

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to relocate   1 Answer

OST Maintenance of Way Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied online and two days later received an assessment test. About a week later I was contacted by email to do a phone conference. Must have passed it since it's Phase 1 of interviews. A few days later received an email saying that I have been selected for Phase 2 in Atlanta GA. It's a two day function with day 1 meeting a few HR's, MOW sup and just meeting the other candidates. Which were in College (I already have a BA) and they are for Management Trainee. Day 2 is a two stage interview. The questions are typical and easy. Just know why you want to work for NS, be all about safety and how you can relate and if you have military experience....maybe it's a plus. I was told that they love military but who knows. I had 18.5 years in service, recommended by a supervisor from a Knoxville TN conductor interview to apply for OST, thought I did pretty well in the interviews. but I guess not good enough. Got the "selected better qualified candidates" email. If it was the other College kids that were supposedly better than me...BS. No way they have the supervisory, leadership and management skills that I have posses, not to mention the real world experience. I honestly don't think NS knows what or who they want. can't beat the free hotel stay at the W and a $100 gift card. Guess it's like the other reads on here...they are hit or miss on who they hire and it might not make sense.

Interview Questions

• Why NS? How would you deal with two of your employees arguing? Are you willing to relocate and travel a lot? Can you work in increment weather? Can you deal with a non stable work schedule or how you could be called back out at 2am? Stuff that's easy to answer and stuff that I'm definitely use to/done for 18.5 years in the military.   Answer Question

HR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the Norfolk, VA location, then received an email for a open house. I am guessing since I had recently applied and already had taken the test it was not recent to me. I arrive at the open house and there were 9 other people there. We all sat in a room listening to three other HR employees and managers talk about the job. They had us introduce ourselves and ask any questions that we had. Most get answered during their presentation. When the interviews begin you have to make it through one successfully to get to the next. I made it to the final interview and felt okay about it. Next I received an email that told said for me to log in for a conference call about NS benefits. I am not sure how many people were on the line but I heard at least five different voices all for different roles than myself. Next I never heard anything else. I sent the whole thank you follow up and nothing. I feel as though if you take the time to interview someone, especially with me interviewing with five people that common courtesy would say to "follow up!" Everyone knows how competitive NS is and I get it but at least tell applicants that you take the time to interview that they were not selected. The job was posted again about a week later so I am not sure if anyone in my group was hired or not. Overall it was not too bad, definitely different to keep you in a conference room talking to the same people you are competing against. I feel for the person that interviewed last because they were there for hours. They do tell you to plan on being there for three hours and please believe them! It also helps if you know someone that works there and they are doing well. If you have a relative with the company, tell them on your application.

Interview Questions

• Scenario questions and why you want the job. Also company history and if you knew about NS and what they do. Know who their competition is. Know what you want to do with NS after your current role. Be CONFIDENT!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

it was a two day process. On the first day there was a panel of about 6 people. They were nice and talked about their positions in the Accounting Department. After they open the floor up for a Q&A. Make sure you have some good questions. Also make sure you review their financials online on their website.

Interview Questions

• Weakness, strengths, why Northfolk Southern, What are my future plans for the next five years,
      do I plan on getting my CPA, which classes were my favorite in college, how well are my excel skills   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied though my college career fair and got a text message to schedule an interview. The recruiter was very nice and professional and asked basic behavior questions like what would you do if you were woken up at 4am and time where you had a problem