Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.9

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview was behavioral based questions. They want to see that you are willing to work hard and open to relocation. For transportation they try to scare you about the hours and relocation. All of it is true. You will work 12 hour days and lots of overnight shifts. The interview is easy but think about what you are signing up for. Is the money really worth it?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you and an employee had a disagreement and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

I received an email a few months after applying for the position saying that I was invited to Career Day. It consisted of an hour long overview of the company, a computer activity, and one-on-one interviews. There were four candidates that day, myself included. I was told that we should hear back within a week whether or not we were chosen for the position. They said that a phone call meant an offer was extended, an email means you were not selected, and if you do not hear anything you are being considered for another position. It has almost been two months and I have not heard anything back, and my application for the position still says in process.

Carpenter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Phila, PA).

Interview

I took a test in the school.ot was a test in carpentry.math and basic information.I had to show my working out of the problems iaddition it had to be completely finished in a timely manner and i had to score a b. Or better inorder to be considered for the job that consists of ,on the job training and schooling in the carpentery trade.

Interview Questions

• Do i want to be a carpenter   1 Answer
    • Can i climb heights   1 Answer
    • Can i work under extremely cold conditions.   1 Answer

Communications & Signal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (University Park, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Well I talked to the recruiter during career fair about a Communications and Signals Internship and the next day I got an on campus interview. It was fairly simply, the interviewer asked me about stuff from my resume, then he asked if i was available to relocation as the position was in Atlanta, GA. Standard questions like why should i hire you and name one of your greatest weakness was also asked. The interview took about 30 minutes and then I heard back from the interviewer about 2 months stating that they hired a better candidate.

Electrical Engineer Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted after talking to the recruiters at a job fair at my college and I received a text from them less than an hour later to schedule an interview for the next day. My schedule was rather cramped, but it only took 20 minutes and went very smoothly. They were professional and courteous and very easy to converse with.

Interview Questions

• Based on your qualifications, what makes you stand out from your peers?   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN).

Interview

Took about a month to get a call back from the time my resume was submitted. Finally received an email with an invitation to a hiring session at a specific location.

Hiring session started promptly at 8 am, there were about 50 potential applicants on the room.

After 1 1/4 hours of PowerPoints describing the company and its benefits, the group was given a 15 minute break to call someone close to them and conclude if the job was for them. After the break, an 88 question test was administered. After completing the test, each applicant left the room and came back at a specific time to see if they made the final 16 cut, which was posted on a piece of paper on the door. If your name is on the list, then you get to interview in the order that your name appears on the list.

Once at the interview, there were a panel of 4 people, including current and former Conductors and Engineers, along with the Corporate HR Recruiter.

Some of the questions involved:

"What is one area of interest that you've currently studied?"

"Why Norfolk Southern?"

"Name a time throughout your career that you made a mistake and how did you respond to it?"

After the interview, you will get a notification from Norfolk Southern concerning the results.

If it's an e-mail you pretty much did NOT get the job.

A phone call from HR means they have extended an offer to you.

Interview Questions

• "What is one area of interest that you've currently studied?"

"Why Norfolk Southern?"

Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Spoke to recruiters at a university career fair and was asked to come in for an on campus, 2 on 1 interview the following day.

I already have much relevant knowledge to the industry and I think I "fit the bill" really well. Subsequently, my interview was more casual, and I didn't have a barrage of questions like I have had before. Instead, they asked me if I had any questions about the company & position.

2 weeks later they called me and made a verbal offer.

Keep in mind, that NS doesn't send official offer letters. They first will give you a verbal offer over the phone, and if you accept, then they send you the official offer letter.

Following acceptance of the verbal offer, you must clear an extensive background & medical check in order to officially be hired.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you and your supervisor had a disagreement, and how you proceeded to handle it?   1 Answer

Transportation Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in December 2015.

Interview

I talked to an employer within my college at a booth. He liked me and asked me to apply online. I did, then I got a phone interview. They flew my down to Atlanta a week later and the interview was 15 minutes. The interview was really easy except 4 people interviewed me at once. They want to make sure you understand how different this job is. Ask you general interview questions.
     They paid for me to stay in a really nice hotel.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

I applied online. They got back with me within a week via email asking me to take an online assessment. Assessment reminded me of ACT reading and English sections. No calc, engineering, physics problems. So nothing to intense. But I would still take it serious I was not expecting those questions. Next they flew me down to Atlanta for the interview, it was a positive experience, although there was some grueling questions I felt overall it was a positive experience.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA).

Interview

Different job than campus recruiter described. Was a complete waste of time. Would not recommend. Will not tell you what position or where you will be placed in after the year long training process.

Above stated reasons