Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Nov 15, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There were three people interviewing. First, we went over my resume and I was asked to describe a few particular projects. Then, they asked me a few technical questions. Finally I was given a few minutes to ask any questions of my own. Total interview lasted 30 minutes. Overall standard experience.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a bit lengthy. I applied in November 2016, received an email to complete an online behavior assessment for them in January 2017, and was called for final interview with them in February 2017. The final interview was somewhat intimidating because it was 4 other gentleman and I interviewing for 4 different positions the recruiters thought we best fit. I interviewed with two Norfolk Southern IT associates. It was about 15 minutes of technical questions and basic why this role questions. It was a 3 week wait to hear a decision and they notified me of my application denial by the portal. Overall it was alright. I really wished they would have directly contacted about my denial so I could see exactly where I went wrong in the interview to get pointers. But nope

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Over 100 people showed up they cut the group in half after the test. Then we were individually interviewed and after the interview they informed us it could take 3-5 days before we heard something.

Revenue Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Don't be fooled, you are interviewing to be a glorified billing clerk. The Revenue Account Analyst position is just you making phone calls and emailing companies you are assigned to get them to pay their bills. This position only exist because NS hasn't figured out a way to fix this through a sound IT solution. The job pays a 50k base with a 2k increase after 1 year.

The interview consist of a phone screen and an online assessment. You then go through a 2 days process, with the first day consisting of a panel style Q&A about the job. The 2nd day is for you to job shadow for a few hours between your 2 panel interviews. The people on the panels were not inviting nor were they polite. Overall an average interview if you have done the panel style before but after meeting most of the team I had no interest in working alongside them for the duration of the position.

They also fail to mention that there is a 2 year department commitment, so you will be stuck doing A/R billing for 2 years until you are able to apply for another position with the company.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

4 panel interview process. Basically explaining safety, the elements you work in, hours of operation, school layout and academics, and how much money to expect. Extensive background check. They ask alot of questions. Like your previous work experience, we're you disciplined, ever terminated. They want to know that you are going to work all the time and not take off. They promise you alot. But when it comes to laying you off they don't care about you. They want a warm body when business is booming. But when business is down you are forgotten about.

Interview Questions

• Your experience in how important safely is.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Transportation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Gainesville, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

Easy and fun to talk to. The process wasn't all too difficult and it helps to do some research about the company you're applying for. Also I think they like flexible employees location wise.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Blacksburg, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online but they updated their system so my application was no longer on file. I spoke to NS at a career fair, and they interviewed me the next day. The interview was about 30-ish minutes, and the questions were fair. The interviewers were very nice! They clearly wanted me to feel comfortable. I still have not heard back about that job, and I interviewed in January (it is nearing the end of March). I am assuming that I was not chosen for the position.

Train Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huber Heights, OH

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Huber Heights, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

Computer applications long scary interview process five in one day written verbal then written and verbal again last one last up to on hour Gallup test after each test people get disappointed and disqualified and sent home

Management Trainee Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA).

Interview

Spoke at career fair, interview after career fair, phone interview on a Sunday, fly to Norfolk for on site interviews, fly back to Norfolk for final round. This was in their marketing department. The first on site interviews were completely hectic, all we knew is that there would be a panel Thursday night and interviews on Friday. On Friday we all shuttled to Norfolk Southern from the airport hotel we were in only to sit in a common area for hours waiting to be interviewed. There were probably 8 of us, some interviewed first, others sat from 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM waiting. For the final round interview, I flew out and was put in a nicer hotel downtown, woke up in the morning and interviewed with some VPs for 35 minutes, and was sent to the airport. In terms of your expenses, they'll give you a $100 prepaid visa gift card. The company isn't doing well and their employees know it, expect questions like "what do you think the future of Norfolk Southern is?". I was surprised they fly you out twice, we all assumed the first time was final round. It's all behavioral, maybe a pricing question if you're going after marketing. For some reason they list the Management Trainee Program as also an MBA level position and tried to recruit MBAs for this position without offering MBA level salaries, which is why I declined. Salary is $55k, $60k after some training. It might be negotiable, I asked for a salary based on my program's placement statistics and they said it was out of the management trainee program range.

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Cleveland, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

(WARNING - NOT VETERAN FRIENDLY EMPLOYER LIKE THEY CLAIM) Applied online in August 2016, got called in for a hiring session on December 15th 2016. Very specific instructions on where to be, what time, how to dress, and what to bring. Do not be late, they will turn you away, there was a big snow storm the day I went, and one of the guys bragged that they turned away 20 people that were late due to the weather. After a presentation they have you take a test, if you pass you get an interview. I waited about an hour and then got called in. The interview was easy, I was a 4.0 sailor in the Navy, had my entire record with me, with all my evals, awards, dd214, etc., had an answer for every question they asked, slam dunk, got an email back that night with a conditional offer. I then went in for a brief medical exam and drug test about 10 days later, no problem, and then I had to go up to a NS police station in Cleveland to sign some papers for a background check, again, no problem. So I do not hear anything for about two weeks then I receive an email from NS medical department asking me for letters and documents from the VA about my service connected disabilities (during the medical exam they gave a form to fill out that asked if you receive any VA or SS benefits, I did disclose my VA compensation - BAD IDEA). So anyways, the lady sending the email also sent an attached letter that asked for letters from my VA providers or outside doctors stating that I could perform the tasks of the job with no restrictions. Having a 1st class FAA medical exam & pilot's license, and also a Class A CDL & medical card, I have been down this road before with trying to get letters/ statements from VA doctors before, it is pretty much impossible, the VA normally does not allow doctors to sign statements that could put liability back on the VA for any reason. So, I responded to the NS lady and told her this, she replied, no problem and rewrote the letter for my past three years of medical records from the VA instead. No problem, I went to my local VA clinic, signed a release of information, and they faxed them all of my records and notes from the past 3 years on everything. So a few days later, the NS lady replies asking for more documents for my VA disabilities, I reply with "we sent you everything you requested, what else do you need?" We go back and forth for 2 weeks when she finally says they need my active-military medical records, (even though these go back almost 10 years ago vs. the 3 years that her letter stated). So, I have these records at home, I take the time to scan 120 pages on my home scanner and email them. I wait a few more weeks, she again asks me if I sent everything, I replied yes, then she ask me again for statements from the VA, so we are right back where we started 6 weeks ago.... I again explained to her that the VA will not provide these, and referred to the letter she wrote me stating 3 years of records would be ok (which I sent 10 years of records). I did not get a response, and I sent an email about a week later asking for an update on my case, no response. So, I get home today and have a letter in the mail from NS, it states that my conditional offer has been rescinded because I did not provide all requested documentation in a timely and complete manner, but I do not think that is the case. I think this company does not want to hire any veterans with a service-connected disability such as PTSD or if you have even had a short-term knee or back strain ten years ago, with no issues since. In my case, I cannot see how I can deemed physically and mentally qualified to hold a commercial pilot's license, and also pass a CDL DOT physical, but I am supposedly not qualified to be a conductor with Norfolk Southern. I am 5'11", 160 lbs, low blood pressure, ect., if I am not qualified for this job, who is?? I call B.S. So, from my experience, if you are a veteran with service-connected disabilities, get ready for a 2 to 3 month long rollercoaster ride, jumping through hoops and wasting your time running around sending in records that will not matter, they will not take you anyways. Their CEO is a lawyer, I am guessing that saying that "I did not send all the records in as requested" is a legal way to discriminate service-connected disabled veterans, even though myself and my local VA sent in everything they asked for, over 300 pages of records. My advice, don't waste your time.