Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 28, 2017

2.9

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

You take a leadership assessment test, then if you pass you move on to the first of two rounds of interviews. The last interview is with a panel of managers, just be yourself!

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with two employees that had a disruptive argument during work?   Answer Question

Operations Research Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

Almost 5 rounds , initial screening of the resume then a basic online test on english and LR. That follows a HR , Technical interview and after that if selected for the onsite interview. Then 2 written tests basic programming and internship skills related.

Interview Questions

• What areas are you aware of related to the internship , What projects related to that?   1 Answer

Train Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

The interview process is broken down into 3 phases.
    The initial orientation where you receive more information about the job, you are tested (if I recall, there were about 100 questions on this test), and an interview. If you pass this stage, you are then invited to their Headquarters for another round of interviews and a presentation about the company and their benefits. You should have 3 rounds of interview with two of them being the panel Interview method with senior level managers..

Interview Questions

• Many of the questions are behavioral and scenario type questions focusing on your management skills and safety. .   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is none because everyone who goes through the management program, get the same salary.

Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Toledo, OH).

Interview

The interview/testing session was at a large hotel in Toledo. The company reps showed a video and sold us a bill of good about how this "career" would change our lives. Of the 130 people that showed up and took the tests around 30 were chosen to be interviewed. We the. Had to wait several hours to be interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me questions mostly pertaining to my past experience. They asked some situational questions. Like what would you do in an emergency situation type stuff. I mostly just kept relating everything back to my own experience. If you get to the interview there is a good chance that you already have the job. The stress was the worst part about the whole process. I had to wait almost 5 hours at the hotel until they called me to come in and interview.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview was behavioral based questions. They want to see that you are willing to work hard and open to relocation. For transportation they try to scare you about the hours and relocation. All of it is true. You will work 12 hour days and lots of overnight shifts. The interview is easy but think about what you are signing up for. Is the money really worth it?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you and an employee had a disagreement and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

I received an email a few months after applying for the position saying that I was invited to Career Day. It consisted of an hour long overview of the company, a computer activity, and one-on-one interviews. There were four candidates that day, myself included. I was told that we should hear back within a week whether or not we were chosen for the position. They said that a phone call meant an offer was extended, an email means you were not selected, and if you do not hear anything you are being considered for another position. It has almost been two months and I have not heard anything back, and my application for the position still says in process.

Carpenter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Phila, PA).

Interview

I took a test in the school.ot was a test in carpentry.math and basic information.I had to show my working out of the problems iaddition it had to be completely finished in a timely manner and i had to score a b. Or better inorder to be considered for the job that consists of ,on the job training and schooling in the carpentery trade.

Interview Questions

• Do i want to be a carpenter   1 Answer
    • Can i climb heights   1 Answer
    • Can i work under extremely cold conditions.   1 Answer

Communications & Signal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (University Park, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Well I talked to the recruiter during career fair about a Communications and Signals Internship and the next day I got an on campus interview. It was fairly simply, the interviewer asked me about stuff from my resume, then he asked if i was available to relocation as the position was in Atlanta, GA. Standard questions like why should i hire you and name one of your greatest weakness was also asked. The interview took about 30 minutes and then I heard back from the interviewer about 2 months stating that they hired a better candidate.

Electrical Engineer Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted after talking to the recruiters at a job fair at my college and I received a text from them less than an hour later to schedule an interview for the next day. My schedule was rather cramped, but it only took 20 minutes and went very smoothly. They were professional and courteous and very easy to converse with.

Interview Questions

• Based on your qualifications, what makes you stand out from your peers?   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN).

Interview

Took about a month to get a call back from the time my resume was submitted. Finally received an email with an invitation to a hiring session at a specific location.

Hiring session started promptly at 8 am, there were about 50 potential applicants on the room.

After 1 1/4 hours of PowerPoints describing the company and its benefits, the group was given a 15 minute break to call someone close to them and conclude if the job was for them. After the break, an 88 question test was administered. After completing the test, each applicant left the room and came back at a specific time to see if they made the final 16 cut, which was posted on a piece of paper on the door. If your name is on the list, then you get to interview in the order that your name appears on the list.

Once at the interview, there were a panel of 4 people, including current and former Conductors and Engineers, along with the Corporate HR Recruiter.

Some of the questions involved:

"What is one area of interest that you've currently studied?"

"Why Norfolk Southern?"

"Name a time throughout your career that you made a mistake and how did you respond to it?"

After the interview, you will get a notification from Norfolk Southern concerning the results.

If it's an e-mail you pretty much did NOT get the job.

A phone call from HR means they have extended an offer to you.

Interview Questions

• "What is one area of interest that you've currently studied?"

"Why Norfolk Southern?"