Norfolk Southern Management Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2017

2.8

42 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Had to complete an online assessment. Had a very brief phone interview. Was invited to an onsite interview. Completed a virtual career day. Flew to Atlanta for interview which consisted of employee panel first night and two interviews the next day, each with a department member and HR rep.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

The interview was held on campus from a college recruiting event. It lasted around 20 minutes. Two people asked questions, with one leading and the other one taking notes. Both employees of the company allowed the process to be very laid back and comfortable (unlike others). After this I waited almost two months to hear back, but I GOT THE JOB!

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to relocate   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

You take a leadership assessment test, then if you pass you move on to the first of two rounds of interviews. The last interview is with a panel of managers, just be yourself!

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with two employees that had a disruptive argument during work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview was behavioral based questions. They want to see that you are willing to work hard and open to relocation. For transportation they try to scare you about the hours and relocation. All of it is true. You will work 12 hour days and lots of overnight shifts. The interview is easy but think about what you are signing up for. Is the money really worth it?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you and an employee had a disagreement and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA).

Interview

Different job than campus recruiter described. Was a complete waste of time. Would not recommend. Will not tell you what position or where you will be placed in after the year long training process.

Above stated reasons

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Norfolk Southern is a very proud company built on a sense of family. The management trainee position is a tough position to be hired for but the application process is exciting. It starts with a one-on-one interview usually at your university, then a flight to Atlanta for a second interview plus a mixer with the employees. The company knows more about you than you think, just remain honest. Do your research.

Interview Questions

• What type of leader are you?   1 Answer
    • Would you have any problem being in charge of people twice your age?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied on their website. The first step in the interview process was a 30-minute long phone interview, where they asked me general questions you'd expect from any interview: What are your interests, strengths, weaknesses, etc. They asked a lot of questions about leadership experience as well.

After a few days they invited me to an online seminar, which included general information about the company and why I should want to work for them. It was all online and with 30 or so other people, so it didn't really require any participation from me.

Next, they flew me down to Atlanta for an in-person interview. On the first day they held a brief orientation-type seminar where we asked questions to people who were in/helped run the training program, and socialized a bit with them afterwards. The next day was the actual interview, which was actually 2 short-ish interviews. The first was with the Engineers in charge of the training program, and the next was with HR people also involved in the training program. They asked the same questions in both interviews, and they were still more generic interview questions about past experiences, interests, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an obstacle you, as a leader, overcame in the past.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

It was 2 separate interviews and they were good. Asked a lot of behavioral questions and things of that nature. Other candidates there, also were asked the same amounts of questions

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

After a brief phone interview where they only asked if I was committed to the schedule and I knew what I was getting into I was flown to Atlanta for the "second" and "third" interview which took most of a day

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (New Brunswick, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview first in a career fair at my university, next day had another interview in a campus, then if they like you they will flight you to GA where there will be two days of interviews. First day will be a mixer and next day 2 interviews back to back and if you pass that then they will call you and tell you your location

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable working over hours and with mainly men   Answer Question